Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have alot of copper. What do with it  (Read 3907 times)

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have alot of copper. What do with it
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:51:30 am »

swimming in copper, and I have no use for it. Halp

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
Re: I have alot of copper. What do with it
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:53:26 am »

Bolts,Bins,Shields....if none of this appeals then pave the outside world with it.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:57:02 am »

Trap weapons are a good idea. Or then you could build a noble house of it. Or course, alloying may also be a good idea, if you've got anything to mix that copper with.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 12:01:44 pm »

Bins and barrels.  You can never have too many bins or barrels.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 12:05:47 pm »

Bolts, bolts, and more bolts. Its great for training weapon smiths while you are at it.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:08:09 pm »

It's good for making ammunition or blunt weapons because of its weight, and with a bit of workshop profile juggling it can be used to train up weaponsmiths and armourers without wasting more useful metal. It's also good for bins and barrels if you're short of wood, and a few bins of trade goods made and/or studded with it will go a long way towards keeping your fortress in food and booze.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:09:16 pm »

Create the copper mauntainhalls, add in some brass for different coloration and dedicate the fortress to worship of bronze collosi wich you should try and trap peacefully subdue and bring to his divine quarters.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:14:47 pm »

Create the copper mauntainhalls, add in some brass for different coloration and dedicate the fortress to worship of bronze collosi wich you should try and trap peacefully subdue and bring to his divine quarters.

the words bronze colossus are forbidden in my fortress. I have a caged bronze colossus who litterally will not die, no matter how many axe/hammer/sword masters I throw at him, no matter how many golbins I pit him with, he'll just headbutt people now that h'es limbless. But you just can't kill the bastard.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:23:18 pm »

Build a gigantic copper alot. Alot of copper.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:25:05 pm »

the words bronze colossus are forbidden in my fortress. I have a caged bronze colossus who litterally will not die, no matter how many axe/hammer/sword masters I throw at him, no matter how many golbins I pit him with, he'll just headbutt people now that h'es limbless. But you just can't kill the bastard.

I fail to see a problem.....
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 03:08:23 pm »

Statues, Tables, Doors, Coffins, ETC. Make your fortress nice.
Weapon Traps/Bolts/Shields for your soldiers
Import Cassiterite/Tin Bars and make Bronze, a decent weapon material.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 03:34:17 pm »

Statues, Tables, Doors, Coffins, ETC. Make your fortress nice.
It's not that nice - copper only has a material value of 2, the same as flux stone (limestone/chalk/marble/calcite) and green glass.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 04:24:55 pm »

It's good for making ammunition or blunt weapons because of its weight, and with a bit of workshop profile juggling it can be used to train up weaponsmiths and armourers without wasting more useful metal. It's also good for bins and barrels if you're short of wood, and a few bins of trade goods made and/or studded with it will go a long way towards keeping your fortress in food and booze.
Weight has no corrolation to ammo effectiveness.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 04:52:24 pm »

Set it as a non-economic stone and use it for Stonefall traps? It's nearly 33% heavier than Cobaltite. Though this depends on what ore you have.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:56:46 pm by Loyal »

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 05:02:02 pm »

I use my copper for training armor and weapon smiths as well as for bins, barrels and mechanisms
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.
Pages: [1] 2