Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: If magma had pressure...  (Read 2488 times)

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
If magma had pressure...
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:20:02 am »

That would be much !!FUN!!.

Magma is quite unrealistic in game. Imagine: you have a high volcano pillar of magma, and you still can safely dig out a tunnel to magma far below. If it was water, you would flood the fortress from below!

Apart from that, it's possible to fill 1x1x1 pool of magma, and it will stay hot for unlimited amount of time. This makes me imagine that magma has nuclear reaction going in it.

Ideas:
1) Magma should have pressure. Magma should be pressed out of the magma sea so that it goes up to the surface once a proper tube is dug out, even if there are no volcanoes.
2) Once disconnected from the SMR bed (no path or too long path within magma body), magma should cool into obsidian after some time.

Advantages:
1) !!FUN!! with magma-flooding your fortress.
2) Automatic volcano refill
3) Automatic volcano formation atop an artificial long tube to the magma sea
4) No more forge cheats with collecting some magma in reservoirs and keeping safe from magma critters.

Disadvantages:
1) Game LAGS are very likely.

What do you think?

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If magma had pressure...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:33:20 am »

You can already pressurize magma with screw pumps.

Also, magma forge buildings only require their blocking squares to have open access to magma. Since these squares block, you're always safe from magma critters anyway.

Even if magma were naturally pressurized, using current mechanics, you could depressurize it by digging diagonally.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:49:30 am »

While "realism" and "unrealism" are words one should use careful when around games, fully pressurized magma would be quite unrealistic as well. Real world magma is a non-newtonian fluid with a huge range of possible viscosities, and it's not absurd to assume it behaves as a very thick gel.

It's also unrealistic to assume that underground magma would always erupt to the surface when given the opportunity. Pressurized magma is visible on sites with volcanism, but afaik, on other places with a more stable geology, it's possible for it to have a gauge pressure of zero.

I am happy with the magma properties as they are right now.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:58:48 am »

It's also unrealistic to assume that underground magma would always erupt to the surface when given the opportunity. Pressurized magma is visible on sites with volcanism, but afaik, on other places with a more stable geology, it's possible for it to have a gauge pressure of zero.
So if we make (theoretically) a hole 100 m in diameter and some kilometers deep IRL, magma won't come out? =)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 12:23:01 pm »

There's a seven mile deep hole in Russia or some crazy depth like that. It gets to be several hundred degrees but there's no danger of a magma geyser.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:25:45 pm »

Well, it would save me about 150 screw pumps, but what would happen to my in-fortress decorative magmafall? I only wish a 1/7 tile of magma didn't evaporate so fast, especially when it's above a 7/7 tile of magma.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:42:24 pm »

Russian drilling project: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kola_Superdeep_Borehole
Drilling was stopped as temperature reached 180°C: the drill head efficiency started to decrease as temperature grew up. No magma was reached, of cause.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 01:41:35 pm »

Huh. Isn't warm stone in DF around 42°?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 01:59:45 pm »

Yes, the wiki says it is =) You mean the answer to question of Life for that humble peasant with a pick, don't you :)

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:03:16 pm »

the wiki also said that the drill they opened up
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
IRL.  :P
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 05:27:50 pm »

I think that every fortress ever made would spontaneously combust, then solidify.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:12:14 am »

http://www.cst.net/geoscience/oil-business/96-geothermal-exploration-in-iceland-encounters-magma-flowing-into-wellbore-

See linked article. 2.1 km (6900 ft) depth. They did drill into a magma tube, and then turned it into a geothermal power plant. Dwarfy.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 10:50:32 am »

http://www.cst.net/geoscience/oil-business/96-geothermal-exploration-in-iceland-encounters-magma-flowing-into-wellbore-

See linked article. 2.1 km (6900 ft) depth. They did drill into a magma tube, and then turned it into a geothermal power plant. Dwarfy.
It's nice to call a real world project Dwarfy!
Quite an awesome project that is. As I can see, real world magma, penetrated at depth of 2.1 km, didn't rise much: some less than 10 meters. That's been a place of sleeping volcano, however. And the magma must have cooled into stone, what has stopped it's propagation along the drill hole.

I think that every fortress ever made would spontaneously combust, then solidify.
That would be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT for our game! That's how we all want it to be. We want more "dig a wrong tile -> everything gets ..." possibilities!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 11:44:58 am »

It's nice to call a real world project Dwarfy!
Quite an awesome project that is. As I can see, real world magma, penetrated at depth of 2.1 km, didn't rise much: some less than 10 meters. That's been a place of sleeping volcano, however. And the magma must have cooled into stone, what has stopped it's propagation along the drill hole.

That would be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT for our game! That's how we all want it to be. We want more "dig a wrong tile -> everything gets ..." possibilities!
When Toady One updates...

Noone's magma supplies shall be safe. All your forges are belong to us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 02:22:27 pm »

There is a suggestion subforum for a reason. Also, search Google for "Lava Is Boiling Kool-Aid" and note how it is stated as not being like IRL. WARNING: Do not visit Tv Tropes without a lot of free time. Di not use while operating heavy machinery. Not responsible for lost time and/or jobs from reading too much Tv Tropes and/or failing to go to work due to aforementioned.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2