Poll

Turn 14

Open suggestions please.
- 0 (0%)
No vote for now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: You are a Nanite - Turn 13  (Read 20701 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: You are a Nanite - Turn 10
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2011, 03:06:24 pm »

Update: I have some work stuff to do in preparation for the hurricane (shutting down our building's multiple different networks, etc) so I won't be home until later. Will update then.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2011, 04:17:05 pm »

why add "as long as it was originally built on it"? In fact, that violates the entire point!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2011, 04:31:59 pm »

Code: [Select]
3. Tap the nearby copper bundles and see if they would make a suitable power source.

Turn 11 (found some time)

-----------

You issue appropriate orders to your idiot helpers. They scurry over to the bundle of copper wires and begin digging small holes through the PVC conduit and the insulated coating. Once complete, they carefully attach small steel leads to one of the wires and transmit data back to you. There is electricity flowing along this wire, but it is not the constant flow of a power line. It seems to be highly ordered signals containing very complex data. The full data throughput here is far beyond your capability to absorb or process. In any case, these wires would not make a good power source. The current is inconsistent, with high rapid pulses interspersing long periods of inactivity. Nevertheless, it is a beautiful datasong and you listen to it quietly. It soothes your lonliness somewhat to know that you are not the only entity in this world, something must be generating this massive amount of data after all.

The X02 assemblers mill about for a few moments, still attached to the wire bundles. Now that you think about it, you probably COULD design a buffer system which could draw power from the inconsistent load on these wires and smooth it out for your use. It would severely degrade the datastream though, and whoever or whatever is using these wires may notice. On the other hand, you now have a source of readily available copper. At your scale you could easily remove large amounts of material from these wires without being noticed.

You order the assemblers to disengage for now. One of them complies with your instruction, but the other twitches and seems to short out. Bright blue sparks crawl across its surface and it falls, dangling by the small nanowires attached to the copper. Hm... must have been the shoddy materials. You really should make some better minions.

What will you do now?

Code: [Select]
1. Go forth and explore the unknown!
2. Gather copper and steel and begin creating X01 nano-assemblers.
3. Design a better baseline nano-assembler.
4. Design an extended-range sensor array for yourself.
5. Analyze the 'dead' X02.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Nanite - Turn 11
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2011, 04:37:05 pm »

3!
We shall be a sneaky thief from this cable!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2011, 04:37:29 pm »

Well drats.
5, would like to know exactly why it died, its possible that the same thing could happen to the X1's after we build them as well
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2011, 04:43:25 pm »

why add "as long as it was originally built on it"? In fact, that violates the entire point!

So that it isn't TOO overpowered.

I personally would like a stationary base, but we can go the Battlestar Galactica route (IE. a mobile base).
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2011, 05:16:09 pm »

the concept of a "base" smaller than a grain of sand doesn't make sense. The reason why it makes sense on large scales has to do with the strengths of materials relative the forces involved: the reason you cant just lift a house up is not because it's to bulky and heavy, it's because it's essentially a pile of things and any sizeable nudging force except for the one of gravity that's laboriously engineered around would make it break apart and collapse.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2011, 08:24:12 pm »

The concept of a "base" smaller than a grain of sand doesn't make sense.

It makes sense to a nanobot.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2011, 08:30:23 pm »

Motivator M-00
3 large pipes with a node in the middle, three ends grab something and three ends walk. They are used for moving large objects and it generally requires more than one...

_    ▲    _
( \  | |  / )
 \ \_|_|_/ /
  ) _ _ _ (
 / / | | \ \
(_/  | |  \_)
      ▼
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2011, 06:21:55 am »

What RAM said, thats a nive design. Remnicent of motor proteins wich are well tested to say the least amnd do basicaly that.

Anyway: no, it doesn't make sense for a nanobot, unless you have a very different idea of how to define a "base". The closest you get is a stationary "mothership", like an oil drilling platform.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2011, 09:24:44 am »

I suggest we make micro helicopters to move! We will have large flying base, that is actually just a large factory with the ability for nanites to hold onto. It can be powered by a bunch of static node chargers! Anyways thats my hope.
For now lets '5' and figure out what went wrong to build better.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2011, 09:52:17 am »

5. this might be a problem, and if we don't fix it now, it could just bite us in our nanosized butt.

Also, forsaken, exactly what do our nanites ( X00 and X02 ) look like.  I know that at their size, an actual standard robotic appearance isn't possible, but you have written that the X02s have "tiny legs" and that our original X00 has "treads" like that of a tank.  Do you have any picture to compare these nanites to? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2011, 10:20:52 am »

Also, forsaken, exactly what do our nanites ( X00 and X02 ) look like.  I know that at their size, an actual standard robotic appearance isn't possible, but you have written that the X02s have "tiny legs" and that our original X00 has "treads" like that of a tank.  Do you have any picture to compare these nanites to?
Not really, just kinda playing it by ear. If someone wants to draw em or decide what they look like, feel free. I realize that nanoscale motion is different from macroscale but I'm using a bit of creative license.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2011, 01:30:16 pm »

Hmm...

How many nanometers big are we?

Considering that the diameter of a helium atom is 0.1 nanometers.

(I think things like tracks or legs wouldn't work very well this close to the atomic scale...)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2011, 03:38:41 pm »

Nanobot means the individual components are nanoscale. Nanobots of the kind of capability we have need to be at least hundreds or more likely thousands of nanometers.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16