Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1602646 times)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9975 on: January 08, 2014, 11:38:41 am »

Thanks! I'll be sure to pick out some from that list.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9976 on: January 08, 2014, 12:13:42 pm »

Just remember that several mods require one or two of the DLCs.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9977 on: January 08, 2014, 12:33:23 pm »

If your playing Morrowind, I'd recommend going light on the mods.  The entire exterior design of the island was very heavily based around the idea that you would still have all that fog, for instance.  Just get a plain PC version, the expansions add more content, but much of it is only a little more interesting.  You'll hear heavy pushes for certain mods, and many of them are amazing, but to really see what it's like, you don't need them.

Just remember, keep your stamina full, and release to swing, rather than just spam clicking.  Also, try to keep the spoilers down, you don't need to know where all the awesome loot is, as there's enough of it to fill entire rooms.

It'll be quite a bit different if you've only known the Xbox version, even without any modifications.

-edit- The GoTY edition is just fine, just don't install the expansions.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:40:50 pm by Devastator »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9978 on: January 08, 2014, 12:40:40 pm »

The same as if you bought the wrong light bulb for that lamp on your desk, then upon learning that the store did not accept returns on such items as a matter of rightful policy, decided to steal the right one.

Or, "don't get caught" if that's what you wanted to hear.
Ethics is different from legality. There is an ethic to following the law, in support of society and the legal system, and fulfillment of some social contract. But just doing something illegal does not make it automatically unethical separate from this ethics of the social contract.

For example, say there's a law against putting ice cream on your pie on Sundays. That act is not inherently unethical, but one could argue that violating the law is unethical for the same reasons that violating any law is unethical.

Then say there's a law against murder. The murder is unethical regardless of its legality, and it also has the same "follow the law" ethic behind it.

In contrast, if there were no law against pie ala mode or murder, the dessert would no longer be unethical at all but the murder still would be.

Assuming that anything illegal is itself unethical regardless of legality is a mistake.

Gamerlord's question hinges on whether pirating Morrowind is itself unethical. His questions shows that he understands it would be illegal, and in phrasing the question that way he implies that he understands the concept that it's superficially ethical to follow laws in general.

[Belongs in copyright discussion thread, really]
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9979 on: January 08, 2014, 01:02:43 pm »

Plus, and I'm not exactly lore-conversant, are Akatosh and Alduin really ever confirmed to be one and the same, beyond Alduin himself putting on airs?  I mean, the Nords use the differences in behaviour between Akatosh and Alduin to claim that the two are different gods.  If they aren't actually one and the same, and Alduin is simply taking on delusions of godhood above his assigned role by the gods, then Akatosh empowering the Dragonborn against Alduin also loses the possible contradiction.

The short answer, no they're different creatures.  Akatosh isn't a dragon at all, he just plays one on television.  He's a Daedric Prince.

The complicated answer, if I remember the theorycrafting about Skyrim, is that Alduin was summoned from the dead as part of a long-con by the Thalmor Dominion, in order to have him defeated by the Dragonborn permanently, which would let them remove the final pillar preventing wide-scale retroactive changes to the Pattern of Prophecy, such as removing all humans, and all possibility of humans, from existance.  There's any number of reasons why it wouldn't work, and doesn't make sense, but Skyrim lore is pretty out there even when compared to the drug and exhaustion fueled mad theology that runs the previous games in the Elder Scrolls.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:05:08 pm by Devastator »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9980 on: January 08, 2014, 01:13:50 pm »

Akatosh is not a Daedric prince. He's the most powerful of the Aedra, the gods that actually created the world. He's known as the Dragon-God of Time. He kind of based the dragons on himself.
Peryite is just a Daedric Prince who plays a dragon on television.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9981 on: January 08, 2014, 01:15:57 pm »

Right, right, that's it.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9982 on: January 08, 2014, 01:20:12 pm »

The same as if you bought the wrong light bulb for that lamp on your desk, then upon learning that the store did not accept returns on such items as a matter of rightful policy, decided to steal the right one.

Or, "don't get caught" if that's what you wanted to hear.
Ethics is different from legality. There is an ethic to following the law, in support of society and the legal system, and fulfillment of some social contract. But just doing something illegal does not make it automatically unethical separate from this ethics of the social contract.

For example, say there's a law against putting ice cream on your pie on Sundays. That act is not inherently unethical, but one could argue that violating the law is unethical for the same reasons that violating any law is unethical.

Then say there's a law against murder. The murder is unethical regardless of its legality, and it also has the same "follow the law" ethic behind it.

In contrast, if there were no law against pie ala mode or murder, the dessert would no longer be unethical at all but the murder still would be.

Assuming that anything illegal is itself unethical regardless of legality is a mistake.

Gamerlord's question hinges on whether pirating Morrowind is itself unethical. His questions shows that he understands it would be illegal, and in phrasing the question that way he implies that he understands the concept that it's superficially ethical to follow laws in general.

[Belongs in copyright discussion thread, really]

The obligatory response and then we have to take this to PMs, if we must take it anywhere.

My example was not an appeal to law as an ethical basis, but a contrast between the poster's proposed action and another, more direct act of theft, which I presume common sense will deem unethical when it is not done with adequate justification, and that desiring the possessions of others does not amount to this.

Different systems of values may suggest otherwise. I do not care.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:21:50 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9983 on: January 08, 2014, 01:34:46 pm »

I am currently searching for various fantasy-ish armors and weapons.
Preferably if they don't look too much like the vanilla ones.
Altough I do not want stuff which looks too.. modern, or Final Fantasy 7 stuff.
I would also prefer if the armors/clothes/weapons are put in leveled lists, should mod mod have that.
Anyone know of a good site to find what I am looking for?
Ï already know of Steam's Workshop and the Nexus, so there's not much point to link to those.

Also, should you link to any site which could be NSFW.. It would probably be best to just PM me.

In advance, thanks.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:40:45 pm by Ultimuh »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9984 on: January 08, 2014, 01:52:09 pm »

Beats me. I couldn't stand the hour plus waits for games to start, only for one team to resign just as soon as the tide began to tilt in the other team's favor just a little (which was extremely frustrating).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9985 on: January 08, 2014, 02:39:52 pm »

Plus, and I'm not exactly lore-conversant, are Akatosh and Alduin really ever confirmed to be one and the same, beyond Alduin himself putting on airs?  I mean, the Nords use the differences in behaviour between Akatosh and Alduin to claim that the two are different gods.  If they aren't actually one and the same, and Alduin is simply taking on delusions of godhood above his assigned role by the gods, then Akatosh empowering the Dragonborn against Alduin also loses the possible contradiction.

The short answer, no they're different creatures.  Akatosh isn't a dragon at all, he just plays one on television.  He's a Daedric Prince.

The complicated answer, if I remember the theorycrafting about Skyrim, is that Alduin was summoned from the dead as part of a long-con by the Thalmor Dominion, in order to have him defeated by the Dragonborn permanently, which would let them remove the final pillar preventing wide-scale retroactive changes to the Pattern of Prophecy, such as removing all humans, and all possibility of humans, from existance.  There's any number of reasons why it wouldn't work, and doesn't make sense, but Skyrim lore is pretty out there even when compared to the drug and exhaustion fueled mad theology that runs the previous games in the Elder Scrolls.

No.

Alduin is born of Aka. Aka is Time as a concept. Akatosh is the result of Marukh and his Marukhati Selectives dancing on the Adamantine Tower in High Rock and changing the Time Dragon to remove any Auri-El influence on Him and smash some Shezzarr into him. This made him insane.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9986 on: January 08, 2014, 03:41:50 pm »

Alduin is born of Aka. Aka is Time as a concept. Akatosh is the result of Marukh and his Marukhati Selectives dancing on the Adamantine Tower in High Rock and changing the Time Dragon to remove any Auri-El influence on Him and smash some Shezzarr into him. This made him insane.

Fair 'nuff.

So why's he back now?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9987 on: January 08, 2014, 03:49:10 pm »

The main quest explains it to you in no uncertain terms that Alduin was sent into the future by the Elder Scroll and he happened to come out at the time of the game.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9988 on: January 08, 2014, 03:52:06 pm »

My understanding is that "now" turned out to be the (random*) time that the Tongues banished him to with the Elder Scroll. Remember, they never could beat Alduin, so they tried to boot him out of time instead, which apparently worked (but they did fear it was only temporary).

*Very likely it is actually fairly thoroughly predestined, but it was still unpredictable and had more to do with Destiny, as opposed to some particularly logical chain of events.

EDIT: Ninja
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9989 on: January 08, 2014, 03:55:32 pm »

And he's just a tiny footnote on the list of accomplishments of the Dragonborn.

It's like...

List of things to do today:
- Buy milk
- Poke Shadowmere
- Bother Lydia
- Kill Alduin (IMPORTANT! DON'T FORGET AGAIN)
- Kill some vampires (Remember to bring cure disease potion this time)
- Craft daggers
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 896