Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1599099 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #5565 on: March 19, 2012, 08:43:56 am »

That's odd, I remember that quest but it wasn't in a camp. I looked it up and it seems the helm can be in different places. But none of them are just laying in a camp. They are all dungeons that you have to clear. I think you got a bug.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5566 on: March 19, 2012, 09:08:56 am »

Must have been a bug then, because it was in a camp with a bosmer who had no dialogue options. If I tried to speak with him he would look at me and the conversation would end immediately.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: March 19, 2012, 10:04:32 am »

There's a few NPCs who do that actually, not even a ... in the chat, just instantly ending dialogue.
*Hugs*

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: March 20, 2012, 07:07:45 pm »

My final moment of disillusionment with Skyrim was on first entering Solitude: (minor spoilers follow)

I enter town, and I see a crowd gathering in front of a platform. I know something is going on, though I had no idea what. Was this scripted, or something organic? I reflect on how cool it would be if you could just walk in on events like this, and find myself a barrel to stand on to see over the crowd. Turns out it's a public execution of a Stormcloak sympathizer... oh boy! I decided I'd put a stop to it, since I'd more or less been supporting the Stormcloaks cause... though they offered no game mechanics that really let me do that, I'd just been role-playing my alchemist/archer character as an ally to them, after being stiffly dicked over by the Imperials during the opening.

Anyway, I see the headsman, 2 Imperial officers, and the Stormcloak member on the platform, and take stock of my inventory. I find a few bottles of home-brewed Paralysis Poison... though it's usually way more efficient to just stack damage effect after damage effect in the game (killing is pretty much the #1 method of plot advancement), I kept them around, just in case I could do something cool like this! I poison my arrows and the daggers with the stuff, and after they finish their execution spiel and the headsman readies his axe, I peg him with the poison, and he falls like a rock. Leaping from the barrel and to stage, I pull out the poisoned daggers and hit the first, and then the second officer too. They fall, the crowd panics, and the Stormcloak Rebel and me see an opening, and make a break for it! It feels great... I just reacted naturally to the circumstances, and finally got a chance to think outside the box to solve a conflict, which I'd really been missing in this game so far!

I follow the rebel until we are safe, hoping to talk to him once he calms down. He ascends a staircase and finally pauses, and I move closer to talk to him, figure out what he knows, and maybe make a plan to escape. Before I can start a conversation, he promptly says Generic NPC Greeting #12... and then falls over dead for no reason. Apparently, his death was a linearly scripted event, to start you off on yet another fetch-quest involving his grieving widow. They hadn't considered I would do anything but sit and watch him die like a good cutscene-viewer, and then start their fetch-quest by looting the beheaded corpse the Imperials inexplicably left on stage.

Needless to say, it completely shattered my roleplaying experience, frustrated the hell out of me as a gamer, and ruined the first hope I had for the redemption of the game. Unlike its predecessors, Skyrim is not a sandbox fantasy adventure; it's 100 different railroad tracks, each with different start and end points, which you can choose to ride.

If you need me, I'll be reinstalling Morrowind.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: March 20, 2012, 07:17:14 pm »

Being able to do that wouldn't be sandbox. It would be another railroad track. To have a sandbox game, you would need layers of AI that respond to your actions. And you have a lot of choices for actions in Skyrim. Considering how big and graphically high the world is and how many different plots there already are, that just doesn't seem possible for Skyrim. I don't think it's even possible for that engine.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: March 20, 2012, 07:40:19 pm »

They hadn't considered I would do anything but sit and watch him die like a good cutscene-viewer, and then start their fetch-quest by looting the beheaded corpse the Imperials inexplicably left on stage.

Actually they hadn't considered that either. It's reportedly patched now, but picking up the amulet before talking to the widow would break the quest and make it impossible to complete without the use of console commands. Not only is this bit completely unsuitable for roleplayers, who have a good chance of wanting to interrupt the execution, it wasn't tailored to munchkins either (whose first instinct is to loot the corpse before the headsman even leaves the platform).

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: March 20, 2012, 07:42:26 pm »

Yeah, the head hadn't even hit the ground by the time I looted the corpse.
*Hugs*

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: March 20, 2012, 07:56:14 pm »

You are a horrible person. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: March 20, 2012, 08:02:00 pm »

They hadn't considered I would do anything but sit and watch him die like a good cutscene-viewer, and then start their fetch-quest by looting the beheaded corpse the Imperials inexplicably left on stage.

Actually they hadn't considered that either. It's reportedly patched now, but picking up the amulet before talking to the widow would break the quest and make it impossible to complete without the use of console commands. Not only is this bit completely unsuitable for roleplayers, who have a good chance of wanting to interrupt the execution, it wasn't tailored to munchkins either (whose first instinct is to loot the corpse before the headsman even leaves the platform).

Munchkins? Isn't that the term used for young players who powergame? Surely anyone who grew up poor's "free shit" instinct would kick in too XD
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: March 20, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »

Double Post, all the way across the thread~

What does it mean?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:18:07 pm by Solifuge »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: March 20, 2012, 08:17:05 pm »

Spoiler: Skyrim Rant Continued (click to show/hide)

So yeah... the Senseless Scripted NPC Death bit was just the nail in the coffin for me. I hope their next effort gets a little closer to the exotic, open, adventurous feel of Morrowind. That's what made me love the series. At this point, I feel like I'm just playing their games out of a misguided sense of Brand Loyalty, and that will only carry me so far.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:41:23 pm by Solifuge »

monkeydancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: March 20, 2012, 08:36:32 pm »

Less Ways To Make Bad Guys Die.
FTFY.

I agree with most of your points, I sorely miss the stats, extra skills and all the coolest spells from morrowind (which is one of my favourite games ever), the multitude of factions (that actually required you to be good at their preferred skills!!!) that conflicted with each other. I don't understand why they took any of those out.

But the quests and dialogue weren't exactly groundbreaking in morrowind, and in spite of all its flaws I do really enjoy playing Skyrim. It just feels really fun to play for me, and that counts for a lot.

EDIT: Just read your earlier post and wow, I didn't realise that the scripted events like that execution are THAT scripted.

One thing that stands out to me playing Skyrim vs Morrowind is the quest log. Morrowind had a completely horrible-to-navigate journal (easily fixed with mods that make it pretty good), but it provided meaningful information and told you WHY you were going to kill those guys/fetch that item. Skyrim simply tells you what your next task in the quest is with no 'flavour' or context given. This is really jarring for me when I don't play for a few days because I'm busy, come back and check my quests, and I have no idea why I'm supposed to care.

Also, people in morrowind gave you directions and you had to listen and follow them! That was pretty great.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:41:50 pm by monkeydancer »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: March 20, 2012, 08:51:15 pm »

A lot of the flavor dialogue also contained veiled hints on gameplay or as to where treasures lie, not to mention characterizing the plot further. You might get a lot of different viewpoints on the plot depending on who you ask- it usually worked like you started out going in one area and hearing one opinion (eg. the empire is unnecessary and oppressive in Morrowind) and then traveling and finding out that there's more to the story than you thought (eg. the empire is trying to stop the practice of slavery in Morrowind). Skyrim wasn't devoid of that but there wasn't as much, not with as much character.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: March 20, 2012, 08:51:55 pm »

Using the search topic thing, I did not find 'malukah' anywhere... so I figure I should bring this up...

http://www.malukah.com/free/
Three songs of Skyrim relations sung by this bard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FLQ4rACE-0&
This one is the above bard and another one doing a duo.

Listen and be in awe.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5579 on: March 20, 2012, 11:31:39 pm »

:O

/amazed
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 896