Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 286702 times)

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #8955 on: December 13, 2011, 12:57:54 am »

It would YAK on hard mode...if approved...

Basically what I was thinking was .5d instead of 2d per parcel. You have to speak with independent shepards and get them to graze their cattle on your land before you can make any money from the parcels. Raiding checks every season and other assorted nastiness, up to and including having to sacrafice regiments to the Samhain brotherhood if they come to call...

How about rolling 1d6 every season to define wheter it'd come or not, based on a critical failure? The area would also lack actual major settlements, being probably divided in regions.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:00:26 am by Azthor »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: December 13, 2011, 01:02:55 am »

Shar "Talon" Vadud?
He's long dead by now. He died a hundred years ago
He died of an illness and bound Kain to Elberth's will on his deathbed. Then his surprisingly long-lived empire- the last major empire for two hundred years- fell apart and his son was chased out of the Northlands.

It would YAK on hard mode...if approved...

Basically what I was thinking was .5d instead of 2d per parcel. You have to speak with independent shepards and get them to graze their cattle on your land before you can make any money from the parcels. Raiding checks every season and other assorted nastiness, up to and including having to sacrafice regiments to the Samhain brotherhood if they come to call...

How about rolling 1d6 every season to define wheter it'd come or not, based on a critical failure? The area would also lack actual major settlements, being probably divided in actual regions.
Masochist much?  ;)

That sounds good, oh and there is only one real major settlement, founded by Talon.
The citystate of Samhain. An imposing construct of stone.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: December 13, 2011, 02:06:49 am »

So i'm going to veto starting external to the canon area everyone else is in. This isn't a singleplayer campaign. Half the game is interaction with the rest of the players. So yeah, just no.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:13:03 am by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: December 13, 2011, 04:12:59 am »

Would it be possible for me to hire some merchants so that they would use my money to make me money?

As in, they have a seasonly budget and then by rolls it is decided if I make money and how much, rolls would also decide the commodity. The higher the roll of the commodity, the more expensive it is.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: December 13, 2011, 09:12:38 am »

So i'm going to veto starting external to the canon area everyone else is in. This isn't a singleplayer campaign. Half the game is interaction with the rest of the players. So yeah, just no.

In that case, please do define how far from Ligora I am allowed to start at. Also, of the two characters originally proposed, one simply has an external location as his origin, I'd have him start in a player populated area outright:

Hello everyone, I've recently happened upon this thread through old and good link surfing madness and, in my love of all things dwarfy\elaborate, decided to give it a go. Although I've already covered the summary and a good deal of the wiki, as well as the latest tactical exploit, I need some advice regarding character creation and hoped that some good samaritan... Or machiavelic mastermind... Would clarify a few aspects of the ordeal:

1. Would it be safe to assume that the region southwest of the southern mountain chain in Elbreth is desertic?

2. Between a martially minded Mongol-esque Warlord-to-be and slightly insane and once powerful Wizard crippled both physically and mentally after magical backfire, which one feels more original? It is also of note that the later would only be a powerful magic user as far as his background goes, given that an important aspect of his more likely than not permanent "condition" is the total loss of casting ability. Summing it up, one is your typical Raider Leader with a hue of extra honor and the other a possible future Evil Chancellor. I reckon that the second, in spite of not really being a caster anymore, is unlikely to be approved, but I thought it was still worth mentioning due to his intended behavior being far more psychologically complex than the other's.

3. How deeply do the starting traits affect gameplay? Is it simply a "starting skill set" kind of choice or something that cannot be attained by any other means along the game, setting your path in stone?

Thanks to any who may help me and please do point out any errors, grammatical or otherwise, you may have noticed; English is not my native language and as such I try to use people's pointers in the web to pick up flaws in my writing (I do not really get much of an opportunity t use the language in my country).

Trivia: Are the hacturi hacturi themselves, other than those who stll live in their old empire, of course, unaware of the elvs' and humans' origins?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:03:27 am by Azthor »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: December 13, 2011, 11:02:56 am »

What is the culture in the udanese kingdom like?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: December 13, 2011, 11:04:25 am »

@Ardas: Well, it's a big country in the frozen North with lots of empty land...I would say Russian. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: December 13, 2011, 11:26:27 am »

@Ardas: Well, it's a big country in the frozen North with lots of empty land...I would say Russian. :P

Ask me not why, but I had kind of pictured them as Nordic, although as far as the landmass goes it does ressemble Russia. Actually, I know why, I have probably been influenced by Skyrim with its Nords and High King.

Moving on towards an whole other matter, hasn't starting out at odd locations been actually incentivated before as a form of having more of the Sword Cost serve a practical purpose other than mere fluff? The simple fact of which quite much no features exist in the currently populated location is likely to result in people remaining indefinitely on the said location.

Also, would I be vetoed from going northwards supposing I start in the authorized area and manage to secure the necessary supplies/means of transportation?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:16:43 pm by Azthor »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: December 13, 2011, 11:46:55 pm »

Anyone else think that the YaK universe is just deep enough for one of those DnD like games? Just saying.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: December 14, 2011, 12:08:13 am »

Would it be possible for me to hire some merchants so that they would use my money to make me money?

As in, they have a seasonly budget and then by rolls it is decided if I make money and how much, rolls would also decide the commodity. The higher the roll of the commodity, the more expensive it is.

Technically no, because unless you have at least 4d, you cant afford any goods.
-I will however allow the funding of other players during their trades, you'd split the profits based on the percentage put into it. The profit margins in trade arent high enough that 1d would go far though.

Anyone else think that the YaK universe is just deep enough for one of those DnD like games? Just saying.

Entirely doable

In that case, please do define how far from Ligora I am allowed to start at. Also, of the two characters originally proposed, one simply has an external location as his origin, I'd have him start in a player populated area outright:

Anywhere in the Storm Coast from Aching to Moun
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: December 14, 2011, 12:22:50 am »

Alright, as for the character itself, could you have a look at the two archetypes I have posted? (It should be in this page as a quote). Probing further, in the area I am restricted to start at, which one is the povince where central power is least consolidated?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:30:19 am by Azthor »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: December 14, 2011, 05:32:12 am »

Excuse me. Had to spend a day throwing up. Better now.

Azthor: I agree with CG; don't start far away if your intent is not to head towards the game area pretty much immediately. Your character can be from wherever you like (within reason), so long as they actually hang around in the game area.
So, you could be a Ztah warlord, but you would have to justify being in the Storm Coast.

Now, regarding your character choices: Both of the proposed archetypes are allowed; heck, any archetype you can think of is allowed. Magic is... difficult, but if you can be reasonable about it, it just makes the game more interesting.

The game area contains a lot of unclaimed land. Which is not to say uncivilized; just that no major power claims rulership over it. The city-states are by nature all fairly centralized.

And one other thing: I notice you are quite nervous about defining anything. Don't be. The world was and is created by everyone. The Green Empire is undefined? Define it yourself. If other people think it sounds good, bam, its canon.

I was thinking, since I wasn't provided with any starting money or traits, could I retroactively benefit from a trait? What does that "Educated" trait do?
Nothing. It is only relevant for the creation of a character. Limiting the traits is to prevent people from being an educated general assassin spy engineer medic navigator. It doesn't have any mechanical effect, except in that if someone who is not educated starts quoting from 'the Art of Peace' people are going to raise eyebrows, whereas educated folks like yourself and vagel can recite the entire 'Oddsea Trilogy' backwards. As it were.
In other words, you are already Educated.

It has certainly accrued sufficient content to keep a table occupied for a while.
Long Live United Forenia!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: December 14, 2011, 05:47:39 am »

I'm sorry to hear that, Nuke. :\ I hope you're back to good health soon. Also, welcome aboard Azthor. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: December 14, 2011, 08:45:32 am »

Thank you both and I hope that you get better. Chances are that  I will have a character ready by tonight. On a side note, supposing  I choose one specialization, one regiment and one ducat, could I upgrade the regiment right away with the said ducat?

On  a side note, would a sufficiently old hatcuri be aware of the elvs and humans' true origins?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:02:08 am by Azthor »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: December 14, 2011, 09:20:39 am »

Yes, a starting regiment can start upgraded.

Yes, well-learned hacturi can know about the whole elv situation. No, they do not go around sharing this knowledge with people. Indeed, many hacturi who come across this knowledge choose to forget, as it is bloody embarrassing.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 634