Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 286908 times)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #8910 on: December 12, 2011, 08:52:59 pm »

Problem is, the place where you want to start is a nest of powerful nations. Lonemine and Brighthall could probably stomp the tribes without using half of their troops. It's very likely that you will never reach the lands surrounding Ligoria if you do not use a boat (I would say travelling by land would take at least one or two years, and that's without taking into account other problems - ie angry Vaduds).

Not sure about that. For one thing, we never defined how big Ztah exactly is. Secondly, we don't know how many people live in all of Ztah, and thirdly, nomads/tribes have a history of being able to destabilise empires.

They all had some help from fate (the barbarians fought a corrupted and decadent roman empire, the mongols had genghis khan, etc.). Here, we're talking about nomads who have basically no military history (I don't think they were even remotely dangerous back in the Elbreth day) who live in a land without necessary ressources to sustain an army. Since the Mirish Coast has an history of killing each-others, every nation over there will keep a strong army at all time.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8911 on: December 12, 2011, 08:54:50 pm »

Back in the Elbreth days they were kind of the butt monkey of the world.
Rebels hired them when they needed cheap fodder, and their most effective and cunning warlord not have any land in the Steppes but also thought that attaching swords to a guy's hand-stumps was a good idea.
E: why does this keep putting itself in quotes?
EE: Figgured it out
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:58:23 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: December 12, 2011, 08:55:17 pm »

Problem is, the place where you want to start is a nest of powerful nations. Lonemine and Brighthall could probably stomp the tribes without using half of their troops. It's very likely that you will never reach the lands surrounding Ligoria if you do not use a boat (I would say travelling by land would take at least one or two years, and that's without taking into account other problems - ie angry Vaduds).

Not sure about that. For one thing, we never defined how big Ztah exactly is. Secondly, we don't know how many people live in all of Ztah, and thirdly, nomads/tribes have a history of being able to destabilise empires.

Nomadic tribes, due to relying primarily on cattle and hunting, tend to have a warrior culture and a relatively small population in comparison to other areas. For instance, the Huns terrorized Western and Eastern Europe by employing skilled horse archers who used composite bows and carried up o three horses with them in combat; Not only that, the Germanic tribes and Roman Empire both far outsized the riders in numbers, but they could not hope to match them logistically due to relying primarily on infantry.

On a side note, the lack of resources means that invading Ztah would be pointlessly costly in a regions where weakening yourself may well prompt an attack by a neighbour, and the same situation which leads to the area's heavy militarization also translates to the possibility of the tribes having both enough time to unite and the opportunityto exploit its neighbour's wars to raid their holds. Of course, that only works out as far as roleplaying goes, if any of them decides to invade right away it is over, although that challenges my inner, often hidden, munchkin.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:02:35 pm by Azthor »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: December 12, 2011, 08:56:02 pm »

Really? I always imagined the Ztah as constantly fighting with each other and anyone who happened to live next to them, surely giving them experience in war...And I was kinda thinking of Azthor's character as the Ztah's Khan or Prophet...But he'll probably pick someone from the Green Empire instead.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: December 12, 2011, 09:01:07 pm »

Protip, Azthor: Unless there are exceptional circumstances (Cavalry vs infantry in plains, infantry vs heavy infantry in swamps or dense forests, Genghis Khan), discipline beats fury every time. Five thousands savages without military training charging one thousand proffessional soldiers forming ranks and holding a good shield wall will loose.

And even if the nomads of the Ztah do win in the mirish coast, that won't change the fact that you will be alone for years down there.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: December 12, 2011, 09:05:49 pm »

If Azthor does choose to go the Ztah route:
Since this has absolutely no effect on any players besides Azthor, and I really don't care if Lonemine wins or loses, can I run the arc?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: December 12, 2011, 09:11:05 pm »

Protip, Azthor: Unless there are exceptional circumstances (Cavalry vs infantry in plains, infantry vs heavy infantry in swamps or dense forests, Genghis Khan), discipline beats fury every time. Five thousands savages without military training charging one thousand proffessional soldiers forming ranks and holding a good shield wall will loose.

And even if the nomads of the Ztah do win in the mirish coast, that won't change the fact that you will be alone for years down there.

Well you can always train them...That's what Shaka and Temujin did. Well Temujin just organised them into hoardes (original meaning) but still.

EDIT: In other news, I've finished with the Elv Bloodlines. Just waiting for Fili to finish his one.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:16:35 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: December 12, 2011, 09:19:46 pm »

EDIT: In other news, I've finished with the Elv Bloodlines. Just waiting for Fili to finish his one.

Thats what I was supposed to be doing?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: December 12, 2011, 09:20:27 pm »

Someone write down in the official lore the Udanese use War Bears.  ???
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: December 12, 2011, 09:21:16 pm »

Wait, your not? OK, back to making the Elv Bloodlines. What we're you doing anyway?

Someone write down in the official lore the Udanese use War Bears.  ???

Certainly..."War Bears"...Lots of things I can do with that.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: December 12, 2011, 09:22:37 pm »

I truly mean no offense, but if we are discussing it as a whole, not just according to the game mechanics, warring nomadic tribes were not quite as undisciplined as you think. They did not simply go around killing eachother without developing better means of doing so, their so called "lack of cohesion" was not on an tactical level, but rather, on an strategical one. They were excellent fighters both in personal skill and warfare, but they crippled eachother and could not coordinate themselves logistically, which is what Genghis Khan introduced by creating the Mongol Horde.

As far as chosng between the Green Empire and the Ztah Steppes, it really depends on which character gets approved... An ex-wizard cripple isn't exactly Khan material and a Warlord won't exactly do as chancellor.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:26:29 pm by Azthor »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: December 12, 2011, 09:23:14 pm »

I'll write up the Line in a moment.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: December 12, 2011, 09:27:45 pm »

As far as chosng between the Green Empire and the Ztah Steppes, it really depends on which character gets approved... An ex-wizard cripple isn't exactly Khan material and a Warlord won't exactly do as chancellor.
You must be new here.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: December 12, 2011, 09:29:29 pm »

You must be new here.

I am, please fill me in so that I may better understand whatever you meant. Is it due to choosing relatively remote regions or saying a Warlord woud not fit as an advisor? Scratch that, it is about the approval part, no?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: December 12, 2011, 09:31:25 pm »

He means that those two characters are pretty good. I think. Ex-wizard khan? Great. Warlord chancellor? Look at China.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 634