Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289212 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #1290 on: August 20, 2011, 01:57:40 pm »

I still don't fully understand the merchant rules, but I'm willing to figure them out. So go ahead and start making actions, Ardas.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 20, 2011, 02:10:22 pm »

There is that example merchant adventure that Iituem posted and a trade table with increments. Also, he posted a half of my last roll, with me ending up in Vasir with two ducats in my pocket out of the sold wool (and 5 ducats of credit, unused).
Vasir deals in booze and wood, so I will be transporting either of these tow back to Preston/Miring. Since they were war-stricken either alcohol or building materials but most likely wood will be in high demand. Eventually cloth.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 20, 2011, 02:11:14 pm »

I understand the merchant rules...which is why i'm trying to write up a trade coalition 'kingdom' (that way someone can run trade rolls, which are basically unmeaningful to the progression of the game)

I play MMOs to break economies...i like numbers - they make me happy

Ardas: you can only get credit if there's a trade guild to borrow from. Unless iituem ruled in NPC trade guilds already, i don't think you can -get- credit
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 20, 2011, 02:17:31 pm »

I started off as a Storm Coast merchant, and because of that I still do have the 5 ducats credit from the NPC guild that I'm a member off.

Edit: I just cheked the rules, and because of my start and position my credit still stands. I do have to repay it within a year though or its a life sentence, so its not free money.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:21:36 pm by Ardas »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 20, 2011, 02:21:24 pm »

I still don't fully understand the merchant rules, but I'm willing to figure them out. So go ahead and start making actions, Ardas.

Short Version

1. Buy goods in Port Alpha.  Decide what good you are going to buy and then consult the Wiki page for the province and the Merchant Adventures spreadsheet (there is a permanent link to it on the Resources page in the Wiki).  The Base Price of the resource is the price you should start from.

1a.  Roll a d6 to determine the number of 'increments' to adjust the base price by.  On a roll of 3 or 4, make no random adjustment.  Every point less than 3, decrease by 1 increment.  Every point above 4, increase by 1 increment.  Give a bonus or penalty of +/- 1 to this roll if the merchant rolled a 5 or 2 on their travel roll (see point 2).

1b.  Now apply the province modifiers.  If a resource is produced in the province, reduce by 3 increments.  If it is a staple, industrial or luxury good, adjust according to the modifiers on the Province page.  If the resource falls into multiple categories, apply all relevant modifiers (they stack).  If the resource is illegal in the province, increase by 3 increments.

1c.  If the province is in a state of war or siege, or is still recovering from one, increase the value of staples and military goods by 2 increments and decrease the value of luxury goods by 3 increments.

1d.  When you have arrived at the final increment total, multiply this by the 'increments' value from the spreadsheet and apply it to the base value.  This is the final price at which the good may be bought.  Up to 6 units of the good may be bought from a province that produces that good.  Goods not produced by the province are available in lesser amounts (see the OP for details).

2.  Having purchased your goods, travel to either Port Beta or Market Gamma by ship or caravan respectively.  Roll 1d6 once to determine any difficulties experienced during travel.

2a.  On a 3-4, the journey goes as normal.  On a 5+ the journey goes particularly well and the merchant arrives in time to get the best deals: add a +1/-1 bonus to any sales or purchase rolls made at the next port (whichever would be more favourable).  On a 2 the journey goes poorly and the merchant arrives late, receiving a -1/+1 to any sales or purchase rolls at the next port (whichever would be less favourable).  On a 1- the ship is attacked by pirates (if any pirates are in the region) or caught in a storm (see 2c).  The same events apply to caravans, except that the caravans would be attacked by bandits instead of pirates.

2b.  Every bandit regiment or pirate ship in a province decreases the travel roll by 1.  Travelling in a convoy increases the travel roll by 1 but merchants will not receive the competition bonus for a 5+.  On land, roads improve travel rolls by 1.

2c.  If caravans or ships are caught in a storm, each caravan/ship must be rolled for separately.  On a 1, the caravan or ship is destroyed.  On a 2, ships but not caravans are destroyed.  On a 3 or better, the vessel survives with all cargo intact.  Any survivors reach the port/market late and suffer the competition penalty for a travel roll of 2.  Due to a strange quirk of the gods, ships can only get hit by pirates or a storm on the same journey.

3.  Having arrived in Port Beta, sell the goods.  Repeat the same process as for step 1, but with the province page for Port Beta.  If the merchant is lucky and has planned his journey well, he should make a profit!  Be aware that most provinces will charge a Sales Tax as a percentage of whatever he takes from his eventual sale.  He may then also wish to purchase more goods, and the cycle rinses and repeats.

A merchant "kingdom" would be a good idea, especially if it combined with a Trade Guild.  Also, there is the nefarious 'Storm Coast Guild', but only players who deliberately start out as merchants get their credit scrip and eventually they will get demands from the Guild which they will either have to accede to (and get a higher credit rating) or leave the Guild and strike out on their own.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:26:37 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 20, 2011, 02:23:29 pm »

The trade goods for provinces are listed on their pages in the wiki.

And wasn't King Erik at all bothered by Sir Taric the 'Just's horrible behavior? Knavston didn't like it at all, but yeah, the king was probably too angry over his lost men to listen to rumours.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 20, 2011, 02:30:05 pm »

Iituem, this game is almost like a drug or a bad lover for you: you can't leave, can you?

Thanks for clarification. I could do my own math on this, but then it wouldn't be impartial so it is up to the GM's to work it out.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 20, 2011, 02:30:20 pm »

Or odds are that he hasn't gotten word of it yet.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 20, 2011, 02:31:25 pm »

And wasn't King Erik at all bothered by Sir Taric the 'Just's horrible behavior? Knavston didn't like it at all, but yeah, the king was probably too angry over his lost men to listen to rumours.

Well, it's not as if the current rulers of Miring have sent him any emissaries to try and explain the situation, is it?  =B

Yeah, depressingly like a bad lover.  I'm out again, need to do more rehearsal!
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 20, 2011, 02:32:52 pm »

That's possible as well, but it would probably just spread faster than the actual news of the defeat, seeing as it happened first and caused a mass exodus of Mirish people from the city.

Well, it's not as if the current rulers of Miring have sent him any emissaries to try and explain the situation, is it?  =B

If only Yoink would post and agree to Aulon's first suggestion, so he could do just that.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 20, 2011, 02:43:18 pm »

Erik has received word of Taric's war crimes. You'll notice he isn't at all worried about our Just knight.

E: Thanks for that example Iituem. :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:52:07 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 20, 2011, 04:09:00 pm »

Ardas! By the end of spring we'll both have a ridiculous amount of money. Care to create a Trade Company? after i sell my current load i should be close to the 12d needed for a trade guild. 4/yr gains covers my current upkeep - and i plan to buy another ship as well.

I've been trying to gather up some rules and such for a trade guild. Being in debt to the guild wouldnt be as bad as the NPC (maybe, cause we'd have warships as well -.-). I plan to use the Trade Guild's influence ot maintain 'special arrangements' and such as well as covering the taxes of members by charging 'dues'.

I've got a lot of info set up already. I just need to finish getting the cash together
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 20, 2011, 04:11:23 pm »

Sounds promising. Even better, if you meet my character, you could propose the deal. Mind you, I'm a respectable member of Storm Coast merchants, so you must entice me somehow (flashing a lot of money will work too).

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #1303 on: August 20, 2011, 04:29:19 pm »

I have just posted the details of the nation Kytuzian is from.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 20, 2011, 04:31:15 pm »

Ok took a break from the computer for a few hours, did a bit more of the art stuff and here it is at the moment, would my interpretation of the silence as disappointment be correct? Either way if you like it I'm adding a bit more gore and blood, and adding details to the upper body armour (suggestions please  :D). Then Aulon will be done and I can do the other bits; that is if you guys like it at all.

EDIT: aw crap, his left arm looks terrible

Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 634