Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289624 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #855 on: August 18, 2011, 03:09:52 pm »

Civil war over the throne, I believe.
I figured as much but how wold that civil war change everything? Who would be dominant and all the rest...

That's a point.  Right now the civil war rules might need a revamp.

Quote from: Original Rules
Deposing the King:  The king can only be deposed by advisors/nobles commanding military strength.  At game start, the king is the only player with military strength (his strength is that of the Royal Army).  Players granted 'noble' status by the king have the right to raise their own troops.  Non-nobles can declare independence and raise an army as per the troop raising rules below, but will probably earn the ire of the king for doing so.

Once an alliance of players has equal or greater military strength to the King and all his supporters, they may stage a coup.  The pretender who declares his opposition may make a 1d6 roll, adding to that roll the difference in strength between his forces and those of the king.  The king may then make a 1d6 roll to oppose the pretender army (without modifiers).  If the king's roll is equal to or greater than the pretender's roll, the king retains his seat.  If the pretender's roll is greater, the king is deposed and the pretender becomes the new king.  The pretender then gains the power of the Royal Army in addition to any troops of his own.

Regardless of whether the coup is successful, all players involved will lose 1 military strength from their armies (per player).  Thus an unsuccessful coup may leave the Royal Army at an advantage (if it is the single largest army).  If there are sufficient armies to attempt another coup, another coup may be attempted immediately.

I think I may get rid of this entirely and rule that players have to sort it out on their own - either by killing the king or forcing him through 'diplomatic' means to abdicate.  Essentially, this would make civil wars have to get resolved the same way normal wars do - or the same way this current battle in Miring is getting resolved.

Speaking of which, Terenos can assume he sails to Miring directly, unless any pirates get in his way.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 18, 2011, 03:10:27 pm »

Erik should marry Drua.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 18, 2011, 03:11:29 pm »

You guys are forgetting about Eric's little sister Kara. She has more of a claim to the throne  if her brother dies then Drua would if Eric married her...
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 18, 2011, 03:12:03 pm »

And also what about the manskinner... if the heir didn't command the throne and civil rebellion occurred that could be an interesting invasion.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 18, 2011, 03:13:05 pm »

And also what about the manskinner... that could be an interesting invasion.

One day I imagine both sides will come to blows.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 18, 2011, 03:14:20 pm »

Oh.. Methink at least -one- Pirate will be getting in my way.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 18, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh the see be mine, and if you be wishin to set your wobbly landlubber legs onto a boat, and out to sea than ye be askin for your boats to be stolen, and looted. The sea is mine, and all ye landlubbers who set foot within her pearly maw be signin their death wishes for Davy John's Locker.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 18, 2011, 03:18:39 pm »

Speaking of the Princess...
Should I start fleshing her out a bit more and having her appear in scenes more often? I haven't been doing so on purpose, because I didn't want to step on anyone's toes should Erik die and someone take control of his sister. But it seems like it might be a good idea, if only to give nobles a better look at one of the people they could potentially support for succession if Erik did die.

And while marrying Drua would be slightly advantageous tactically, from the Miring situation, I doubt it would help much at all. She's also (probably) too low-born for Erik to marry her without causing a big uproar.

As for what the civil war changes? I guess it depends on the outcome.
Filius just said that Kain is likely to support Kara. I have a hunch that Grand Master Black would remain loyal to Erik's line and do the same. That's the church and a portion of the Eelspine range, as well as the internal spy network on Kara's side.
General Kaguro, who has a relation to the throne, would likely either side with Kara /or/ make a bid for the throne using his marriage to Erika. I highly doubt many people would side with that though. Of course, there's always a chance Sir Taric will side with Kaguro simply because Erika is on Kaguro's side and they seem to have a thing going.
Terenos seems to be fairly noble, and I think he'd maybe side with Kara in which case Kara's side immediately wins, giving Kara a pretty big advantage in the form of a capable assassin and (potentially) Preston.

I don't know what's going to happen to Miring, so I can't say anything about their role in a civil war should Erik fall, but I think a major deciding factor will be what outside sources do. Will Jarl Manskinner get involved? Will the Archbishop of Suul attempt to reestablish his faith's power? Will Brighthall get involved? How will the Ztah react? The people of Preston?
Will the people of Preston rebel, negating any advantage that a side might gain from having its Duke side with them? The Ztah raiders would no doubt take advantage of the situation, draining the land and its people of resources. I doubt Brighthall would even get involved.
But whichever side Manskinner gets involved with would have a pretty big advantage, and if Suul gets involved the civil war could end up being a staging ground for something far larger.  It could well be that Erik's death has the potential to usher in a small age of chaos.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 18, 2011, 03:20:24 pm »

Actually, Taric would attempt to "rescue" Erika, then just stay out of the political fighting.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 18, 2011, 03:23:36 pm »

Hmm... I really do hope my character becomes powerful enough to take advantage of a situation like that before it happens, also what do you guys think my character's next action should be? I've gotten as far as finding Kytuzian and the Zimtar tribe though breaking him out seems unlikely.... not sure what to do next.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:25:28 pm by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 18, 2011, 03:24:06 pm »

What -duke- of Preston? You don't have a Duke of Preston yet. And likely will not, if things keep going the way I suspect they will.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 18, 2011, 03:28:33 pm »

Would I have to make a roll to see if my playerr Npc Amarillys would let me marry someone else?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 18, 2011, 03:36:21 pm »

Would I have to make a roll to see if my playerr Npc Amarillys would let me marry someone else?

Only if she's exceptionally jealous.  Not like she has any claim on you.

I want to rebalance the market rules before I do those market rolls (to make staple goods more volatile/profitable) and I'm delaying the battle rolls until the year end.  Partly for dramatic reasons but also because I'd rather give Trubaldsome/Aulon a chance to respond with any actions before the fight happens (they have the opportunity to upgrade units/make preparations as well, after all).

Suul is not exactly neutral in this conflict.  Suulian Orthodoxy is technically the chief religion in this region - Miring and Preston (and if thatkid decides this is fair, Elbreth)'s kings were all crowned by the Archbishop when they ascended the throne.  Even though it isn't as all-pervasive as Catholicism in the Real World was (the syncretic mixture of the Mirish Old Pagan beliefs and the more modern Cyclicist and Orthodox religions are a chief example of this) it's still an important factor to consider.

Religion is important.  And if Grandmaster Black spreads Cyclicism to the level Orthodoxy is at, it will be that powerful for him, too.

Edit:  I'm confused.  CyberGenesis, did adwarf get one shipment of tin or did you keep both and just give him the ship?  I read the latter, but I may be wrong because the terms weren't posted in the RP thread.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:38:10 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 18, 2011, 03:40:51 pm »

I've been keeping any spreading of Cyclicism to a minimum for now while I work to ensure the nobles of Preston. I seem to have done an okay job of that. But the missing catapults is worrisome to say the least.

Now that the Duchy is mostly loyal I can start introducing them to the proper religion. :)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 18, 2011, 03:42:35 pm »

As I remember Iituem, adwarf was given no supplies or cargo.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 634