Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Open Hand for Wrestling  (Read 2038 times)

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Open Hand for Wrestling
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 10:36:58 am »

Wrestling is EXTREMELY effective if you know how to use it. It just requires a totally different Play Style, and needs to be supplemented with Unarmed Striking. But it works.

Anyway - If i were being Action-Hero'ey, id use a Buckler.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 10:41:55 am »

Blindness pretty much means you can see 1 square in each direction.
Technically, you can't see when you're blind. Those single squares in front of you are how far you can reach.

Just kind of feeling that they're there by sound/reaching out and fondling them.  (Fun times in the Genesis mod, that!)  And I didn't know you could t throw actual creatures; you grab them first, then toss them?  Or what?  Anyways throw downs are still cool, and being able to exercise combat pragmatism in the form of eye gouging sounds fun.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 12:07:01 pm »

you grab them first, then toss them?  Or what?

yeah pretty much, and like has been said depending on your size and the size of the enemy you're trying to throw they will be tossed a few tiles away, but regardless of the distance they are actually tossed it's still very useful because they'll be stunned anyway, and that gives you a very good advantage.

Jeremy66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 01:18:13 am »

You can do most everything with your arms that you can do with your hands. The only three things I can think of that you can't are disarming, pinching and gouging out eyes, but even then, you can cut off hands, or throw your shield at them AND THEN gouge out their eyes with your newly freed hand. Good fun.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 02:28:37 am »

You can do most everything with your arms that you can do with your hands. The only three things I can think of that you can't are disarming, pinching and gouging out eyes, but even then, you can cut off hands, or throw your shield at them AND THEN gouge out their eyes with your newly freed hand. Good fun.

or, through a bit of tricky inventory management, end up with your shield and weapon in the same hand, leaving one free for gouging/pinching.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 03:54:25 am »

Hands don't really work that way in DF. You can hold as much as you want in a hand, even several weapons in each with shields.
I know.  But for wrestling, a hand has to be un-occupied in order to be used.  Hands can throw, pinch and choke whereas legs/arms can't, so I want one open.

As nogoodnames said, you can use a backpack to have one hand free, and any number of items held in the other hand. Like a sword and shield in your right hand, left hand free.
The trick is to use the "r"emove option to pull stuff out of the backpack into your hands, using a bunch of rocks or something as filler going into the designated-empty hand.
Once all the items you want are in the proper hand, you drop all the rocks being held in the "free" hand.
Note: keep bags in your backpack to stuff (p)ut things into so you can actually keep that hand free.

Personally I find the open-handed-wrestling incredibly overpowered, and rarely want to even use my weapon outside of kneecapping enemies so they don't get away.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2]