Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Open Hand for Wrestling  (Read 2043 times)

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Open Hand for Wrestling
« on: August 14, 2011, 06:07:26 pm »

Here's a fun one; what do you have to use to still have an "open" hand for wrestling?  I've always been inspired by the tale of the Colossus and the Wambler, but my practice of one weapon and a shield has stopped me.  How can I be considered open for wrestling, while not sacrificing the offense of a weapon and the defense of a shield?

• Do bucklers take up a hand?  As in, could a sword and a buckler still leave me open?  Shields take it up, but their smaller cousins...?
  • If I use a two handed weapon, does it literately occupy both hands?  A long sword wielding dwarf of a great sword wielding human, could they throw if they had nothing else?
  • Does a crossbow leave an open hand for grappling?
  • If I go "confused turtle" style, as in two shields, could I throw?  Or would they have to be...
  • Two left handed items?  Say, equipping a sword AND a shield to one arm, would that work?

Wrestling isn't the most effective option, and dwarves are too small to make full use of it.  But throwing and taking enemies down is just too action-hero cool to not use.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Open Hand for Wrestling
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:31:44 pm »

With a backpack and some inventory management you can hold a theoretically infinite number of items in one hand.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:43:00 pm »

Hands don't really work that way in DF. You can hold as much as you want in a hand, even several weapons in each with shields.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:13:31 pm »

Hands don't really work that way in DF. You can hold as much as you want in a hand, even several weapons in each with shields.
I know.  But for wrestling, a hand has to be un-occupied in order to be used.  Hands can throw, pinch and choke whereas legs/arms can't, so I want one open.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:35:15 pm »

You don't need an open hand to wrestle. I've choked enemies to death with my forearm before. I also tried grabbing with weapons, but it doesn't work.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:35:23 pm »

I know.  But for wrestling, a hand has to be un-occupied in order to be used.  Hands can throw, pinch and choke whereas legs/arms can't, so I want one open.

you can throw, choke and break limbs with wrestling locks even with a weapon and a shield equipped, the only use a free hand would have is for disarming I think.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 07:36:49 pm »

Well I know you can choke with forearms and what not, but I want to throw.

you can throw, choke and break limbs with wrestling locks even with a weapon and a shield equipped, the only use a free hand would have is for disarming I think.

You can?  I probably should have cracked open DF before posting this, but I'm away from the proper computer atm....  could have sworn there's no hand option when you're wielding things, and grappling with swords/shields is only locks.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:38:27 pm »

You can?  I probably should have cracked open DF before posting this, but I'm away from the proper computer atm....  could have sworn there's no hand option when you're wielding things, and grappling with swords/shields is only locks.

well, maybe there isn't a specific hand option, but you definitely can throw, choke and break limbs by grabbing with your lower right arm for example.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 07:56:45 pm »

well, maybe there isn't a specific hand option, but you definitely can throw, choke and break limbs by grabbing with your lower right arm for example.
not in every location.  for example, you can not gouge eyes without a free hand.  pinching takes a hand as well.  i forget all of the specifics, but hands do have more options.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 08:50:00 pm »

And although you might not be able to choke something much larger then yourself out....you can certainly blind them.

I actually go misc object/wrestler...especially if you get lucky and end up with a massively heavy artifact sheild in Fortress mode. If you -grab- your foe sucessfully, they can't actually -dodge- your incomming platinum sheild!

Even better you can pull a Captain America and toss that thing into a fleeing bandit's spine

Classic
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 03:03:02 am »

When wrestling, I usually keep a hand or two free for disarming/de-robing (whatever you call it when you rip their armor/clothes off).

There's just something fun about strangling an enemy to death with their own underwear, or embedding weapons of several bandit lord's goons in their stomach. Dropping every weapon I embed in them, and letting them walk around like a magician trick gone horribly, horribly wrong.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 03:06:46 am »

And although you might not be able to choke something much larger then yourself out....you can certainly blind them.

I actually go misc object/wrestler...especially if you get lucky and end up with a massively heavy artifact sheild in Fortress mode. If you -grab- your foe sucessfully, they can't actually -dodge- your incomming platinum sheild!

Even better you can pull a Captain America and toss that thing into a fleeing bandit's spine

Classic
Blindness has an effect? Do blind demons suffer from the negative side of being blind? (Positive: Thinking Demon Hunter from Warcraft 3, or maybe Daredevil.)
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 07:16:22 am »

For the record the throw you are thinking of was not the wrestling throw move. A wrestling throw is a slightly stronger "takedown" that will stun the enemy. Unless you happen to be size:100000000000000 in which case you will literally blow apart just about anything by throwing them around. The throw of the wambler was the "t" style throw, where you somehow manage to propel potentially any object into a spin at some poor creature. This has also been nerfed as of late however.

Hands are good for disarms and for eye gouges. Apart from that they aren't special. Pinching hands can be a good way to spam train wrestling however.

Blindness pretty much means you can see 1 square in each direction. Almost all attacks will miss (almost, you'll still probably get headshotted by a legless, bone-chipped, disembowelled, blind goblin archer because computers hate you) when you're blind.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 09:16:18 am »

As a human, you can throw other humans/goblins/wolves a few squares when you chose throw instead of take-down.

And I know of at least one instance of an adventurer throwing someone into the path of a crossbow bolt, like a ninja.

The -problem- comes from the direction being randomly chosen. So you can toss the foe on a collision course with -yourself- as well!
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 09:33:35 am »

Blindness pretty much means you can see 1 square in each direction.
Technically, you can't see when you're blind. Those single squares in front of you are how far you can reach.
Pages: [1] 2