Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: EA games has trademarked Aplha Centauri  (Read 7021 times)

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EA games has trademarked Aplha Centauri
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 04:41:56 am »

I don't understand what there is to get upset about. It has been 15 years. I had no expectation of ever seeing an Alpha Centauri again. If we get something bad, we will have lost nothing. If we get something good, at least there's that.

QFT. This. However you want to say it, I agree. We don't lose anything by EA making another attempt. There's really only 'up' to go from here, as long as it's been.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 06:31:09 am »

I don't understand what there is to get upset about. It has been 15 years. I had no expectation of ever seeing an Alpha Centauri again. If we get something bad, we will have lost nothing. If we get something good, at least there's that.

NOOOOOO BAD REMAKES RUIN ENTIRE SERIES FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!!!111oneone!!1!

/end sarcasm.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 06:49:17 am »

We don't need your common sense around here!

This remake will be the death of my precious childhood memories and my life will be forever ruined, my body will become but an empty husk as EA sucks my soul dry of all that is good in this world!
</drama queen>

On the other hand, CnC 4 :P But seriously, there is nothing on stake here, it will either be worth playing or it won't.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 07:34:23 am »

Well, there is the fact possibility that people are gonna start refering to the new one by just "Alpha Centauri", as if that's where it started. Kinda like with Fallout 3. I often see posts and articles refering to stuff being "just like in Fallout", except it's something blatantly vacant from the first two and only present in the third. Basically the very idea of what the game was originally about is going to get burried in confusion and incompetent journalism.

Although on the subject of what it's going to be, I rather doubt it becoming an action game. Maybe something along the lines of the Colonization remake (stand-alone expansion of the then current Civ 4). But the Alpha Centauri setting isn't exactly ripe for action. Unless you find fighting hordes of psychic worms and generic looking sci-fi stuff somehow appealing. SMAC is more about the colonization and different philosophies.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 02:19:49 pm »

Well say you loved your grand father and you loved him and he died, then 15 year later sopmkebody start talking shit about him you would be upset? thats the same with some player, like myself, some old game are considered classic and we love these game, and remaking a shit game based on that is the same as attacking our dead grandfather memory its just inaceptable.

Ok some say hey man its just a game i say screw you your not gamer go back to crap of duty 76 and have fun.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 02:53:07 pm »

I'm not getting why people are getting emotional about this, especially before it's even been done. Again, there's nothing to lose... unless you're hell-bent on purchasing the game and it turns out to be awful.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 02:54:45 pm »

I'm not getting why people are getting emotional about this, especially before it's even been done. Again, there's nothing to lose... unless you're hell-bent on purchasing the game and it turns out to be awful.

That is what everything boils down to.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 02:55:14 pm »

Well say you loved your grand father and you loved him and he died, then 15 year later sopmkebody start talking shit about him you would be upset? thats the same with some player, like myself, some old game are considered classic and we love these game, and remaking a shit game based on that is the same as attacking our dead grandfather memory its just inaceptable.

Ok some say hey man its just a game i say screw you your not gamer go back to crap of duty 76 and have fun.

That has to be one of the worst analogies ever....
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 02:57:15 pm »

That has to be one of the worst analogies ever....

Quoted for truth...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 03:44:35 pm »

Well part of the problem is if a bad sequel is made, it makes a good sequel less likely.

If it's bad but sells, they if they make one they'll just make another sequel with more bad.
If it's bad and doesn't sell, publishers won't touch it so they won't make another sequel.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 05:16:25 pm »

Well part of the problem is if a bad sequel is made, it makes a good sequel less likely.

If it's bad but sells, they if they make one they'll just make another sequel with more bad.
If it's bad and doesn't sell, publishers won't touch it so they won't make another sequel.

(flaming removed) And if you are waiting for some no-name compay to produce something amazing, that's like hoping to win the lottery. The chance that an indie game produces something astonishing is way lower than the chance that EA ( or the studio they pay to make it happen ) produces something good.

You can make statements like your 3 if there is a long line of devs waiting to produce the same IP. A bad start may block the entire series. But in this case the IP is already dead. You either get EA to electrocute it the last time to play Dr. Frankenstein, or you get squat just like you had 'till now. And if it really turns out to be a shit game, well, you always have the good old necrophilia: play the original. It's not like you are forced to buy the new version.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:08:07 pm by Toady One »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2011, 05:24:19 pm »

EA is currently the best shot you have to get a good sequel going.

Surely you can't be serious. EA? The company that makes 90% of what they touch either turn to shit or fall apart?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2011, 05:25:28 pm »

EA is currently the best shot you have to get a good sequel going.

Surely you can't be serious. EA? The company that makes 90% of what they touch either turn to shit or fall apart?

EA, the only big company remotely interested in the IP. Do you think you can do better?

Btw, EA has the 5th best Metacritic average overall. http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2010-releases
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:34:53 pm by YouR_DooM »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 06:10:33 pm »

Btw, EA has the 5th best Metacritic average overall. http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2010-releases

That's one year, during which they released Mass Effect 2. They killed Origin (and before that ruined Ultima 9) and Westwood (and cancelled the sequel to Nox), and then zombified both of those studios (so that Ultima Online and C&C would continue, but the way EA wanted them to instead of under the original developers). Maxis barely escaped the same fate. They released Master of Orion III, and Spore (Maaaaxis!), among other massive failures which they should have seen coming from a mile away. Just recently EA re-used Origin's name for their downloadable games service, just because the name sounds cool, which is like a murderer digging up a victim's grave to mount their skeleton in their house. And they seem to think that giving different pre-order bonuses to different stores for BF3's multiplayer is a good thing, which will make it so that players don't start on equal footing (and apparently they've done this in other games as well - not to mention that non-pre-order players won't have any of the stuff they're giving to people who pre-ordered at all).

Also: "Hay guys, if we release a shitton of sports games with high production values, we can get higher metascore average than most of the other publishers!"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2011, 06:58:56 pm »

[...] cancelled the sequel to Nox [...]

I... I didn't know this. I did not know this at all.

It's been a while since I've been tempted by anything EA touched, but that little piece of information is officially the death knell of any chance of me touching anything EA blights.

I loved Nox, people. Loved it. Multiplayer was just great in that game, especially for the time it came out. It just had a great feel, to how it looked, how it moved. Crushing the hopes of some sort of successor to that... it's cold. So very cold. *sadface*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7