Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Medical breakthroughs  (Read 20589 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Medical breakthroughs
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 05:03:32 pm »

Hold on, gotta go barricade my home.
Nobody keeps hungry zombie Max from tasty Bd! Nom nom nom!
No, you wouldn't like eating me. Im all thin and frail, barely any meat on my bones.
TASTY BONES!

No max! he is obviously already undead! The undead do not eat each other.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 05:04:45 pm »

I guess we ought to be inventing new steam technology to combat the zombies.
Steam powered flame throwers?
Clockwork chain saws?
...Said Bloxace.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 05:11:21 pm »

Steam powered flame throwers?
Steam boiler with release valve. Done.

WILL NOT STOP ZOMBIE! BLARG!!!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 05:11:53 pm »

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

I'm like... wow.  Tears, running all over my face.  This is bloody amazing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 05:14:57 pm »

For the second "viral cure" thing, I'm still pretty skeptical.  I wouldn't be surprised if most of our cells have some (harmless) virus, or some left over DNA from some virus that infected one of our ancestors and accidentally got integrated into our genome. 

I'll believe it more when they inject a person with it and the person doesn't start shedding their skin as every cell in their body dies.   :P

The Leukemia thing sounds a bit more plausible to me.  I hope that turns out to be something.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:17:29 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 05:15:56 pm »

Calm down a little Vector. Sad to say, spectacular results most often means still in trial stage. Were talking about some serious chemistry here, so these trails are likely to go for quiet a few years in order to test long term repercussions. Cancer, for example, is biologically very hard to tell from the rest of the human, so you should be very sceptical about anything that attacks it, because the last thing you want is to then kill the human in the process.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 05:18:24 pm »

Immunotherapy has been around for a while. Autoimmunity is a real concern, though. In the melanoma article they mentioned how they had screened forsuch hsppenings in the recipients afterwards (none was found. Of course this does not prove that it can't hsppen)

I think that article was open access in the nejm, googling it now...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 05:19:07 pm »

I also remember reading in a Smithsonian magazine a few months ago about how another team of scientists cured an acute form of leukemia, I believe it was AML. Just so I don't get told that "it's still in the trial stages, don't get too hyped", the team has been testing it for 10 years with good results all around.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 05:20:29 pm »

No.  I am not calming down.  First gay marriage in New York and hitting the 50% approval line, then better chances of aliens, then curing both cancer and the common cold maybe sort of.

I WILL NEVER BE CALM AGAIN.

*huff huff*

Now I'm just waiting on Riemann's.  Come on, mathematicians.  Get your asses in gear.

Well, okay, and a functioning US government.  Come on, taxpayers.  Get your asses in gear.

And seriously, buckos, I am one of those stereotypical weeping women.  I got it from my father.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 05:20:49 pm »

Sadly, all of these drugs will probably remain out of the open market for the next two decades or so, and that's after the FDA finally approves them. Plus, most pharmaceutical companies would probably avoid carrying them, as a cured patient is a patient that doesn't have to buy anything else from you. They want people sick, not healthy or dead, because that means profits.

It's really too bad. One of my uncles died of leukemia, among some other things, earlier this year. Perhaps he'd still be alive if this were on the market already. Trial stages this, trial stages that, it's always with the fucking trial stages. Never do I hear about a treatment actually getting implemented.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 05:23:01 pm »

MSH, my friends dad has been working with fifteen other researchers for the past twelve years to get their herpes cure to market. No dice yet, even though it has been entirely safe and effective so far. Trial stages are intense.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 05:25:35 pm »

Here's the article about melanoma t cell therapy

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0800251#t=articleTop

Anyways, yeah, a lot of fascinating work is being done, and we live in interesting times

That being said, its worth noting thst bone marrow transplantation has been around for a while and is often curative in hematological malignancies (if quite aggresive).

Re: MSH, that,s likely because you have not checked the right sources. I assure you that treatments do get implemented.Take Provenge, for instance. Or Avastin. Or bevacizumab
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 05:26:31 pm »

Whoa this is pretty cool, As far as I know the common cold wasn't even curable in Star Trek
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 05:26:49 pm »

Now watch, as Big Pharma Lobbyists gets this outlawed in the US and potentially the rest of the developed world too!
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 05:27:33 pm »

Im just saying, this could be the cause of the eventual zombie apocalypse.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10