Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Medical breakthroughs  (Read 20578 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Medical breakthroughs
« on: August 11, 2011, 04:29:07 pm »

We cured leukemia: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44090512/

Tweak some white blood cells, re-inject them, cancer is gone in weeks and you feel kinda like you're getting over some random infection.  Treatment over.

Even better, though, we cured every virus.  All the viruses.  All of them.  http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/antiviral-0810.html

"In a paper published July 27 in the journal PLoS One, the researchers tested their drug against 15 viruses, and found it was effective against all of them — including rhinoviruses that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza, a stomach virus, a polio virus, dengue fever and several other types of hemorrhagic fever.

The drug works by targeting a type of RNA produced only in cells that have been infected by viruses. “In theory, it should work against all viruses,” says Todd Rider, a senior staff scientist in Lincoln Laboratory’s Chemical, Biological, and Nanoscale Technologies Group who invented the new technology.

Because the technology is so broad-spectrum, it could potentially also be used to combat outbreaks of new viruses, such as the 2003 SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) outbreak, Rider says."

So yeah.  We just cured cancer and the common cold.   And maybe HIV.  What's next, bitches?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medical breakthroughs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:34:44 pm »

Hooray science!
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 04:42:08 pm »

Cool! I mean the fall of the hippie movement was basically the rapid spread of STI's, so cure AIDS and we go back to calling each other 'starchild'

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:46:27 pm »

The wonders of medicine and science!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 04:48:11 pm »

We cured leukemia: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44090512/

Tweak some white blood cells, re-inject them, cancer is gone in weeks and you feel kinda like you're getting over some random infection.  Treatment over.

Immunotherapy has been around for a while. There was a somewhat publiciced case a few years back (2008?) in which a guy with a phase IV melanoma had a full remission.

It's not exactly simple and/or fully polished, though. In particular, IIRC, adoptive T Cell therapy's main problem comes from the biodisponibility of the injected cells (they tend to last for very short times, because of some regulatory signal which I can't recall right now). To counter this there's undergoing work in getting bigger numbers of cells, and on increasing their inbody survival (I know that one method that was being tried with the latter was to remove the circulating T Cells through apheresis. Apparently this helped the injected ones to remain for longer).

But yeah, it's quite interesting. In fact, last year was kind of big in immunotherapy because the first cell-based immunotherapy product (Provenge) was approved for the market by the FDA. It was a different approach than this one (they used dendritic cells presenting tumor antigens), and the results were not as amazing (by far). But hey, it's a start. And the fact that it was approved will likely result in related technologies getting more investments.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 04:50:28 pm »

Cool! I mean the fall of the hippie movement was basically the rapid spread of STI's, so cure AIDS and we go back to calling each other 'starchild'

Yeah an awful lot of those ARE viruses, aren't they...

I wonder what the antiviral side effects are like for people who have no significant infections.  Sure would be interesting if you could take a pill the day before, or somesuch.  Or if they were cheap, even daily/weekly like multivitamins.

Of course this might be horribly time-consuming and expensive to produce...dunno.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 04:53:14 pm »

There was some research a while back on putting in artifical amino acids into the genome to basically make us into aliens. If the virus one doesn't work, that might - we'd have to take supplements, but hell. Panimmunity in exchange for a few more additives to food? Sign me up.

Of course, that would put the nail in the coffin if the apocalypse did come along, since the only source at that point for a vital nutritional element would be each other. What the hell, science? What the hell.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 04:55:09 pm »

Hold on, gotta go barricade my home.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 04:55:43 pm »

And maybe resistance inducing. I think it's important to prevent risk factors.
Also bear in mind that according to that press note all tests so far have been in vitro.

Edit, no. Apparently it was tested in mice.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 04:57:02 pm »

Nobody keeps hungry zombie Max from tasty Bd! Nom nom nom!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 04:58:57 pm »

No, you wouldn't like eating me. Im all thin and frail, barely any meat on my bones.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 05:00:35 pm »

No, you wouldn't like eating me. Im all thin and frail, barely any meat on my bones.
TASTY BONES!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 05:01:06 pm »

That doesn't matter, we dont want you for your body, we want you for your brain.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 05:01:49 pm »

But we're not unreasonable. I mean...

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 05:02:22 pm »

But we're not unreasonable. I mean...
...it's not like we're going to eat your eyes.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10