Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking for a strategyish games with an emphasis on food management!  (Read 3212 times)

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a strategyish games with an emphasis on food management!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 05:39:40 am »

errr....Sim Farm?
http://www.abandonia.com/games/45/download/SimFarm.htm

Sim ant did more with the food dynamics for me between the two.

I would also like to recommend two RTSes. First one being Swarog, there's really only one food source in the game, but seeing as the only real way of beating your enemy is through zerging him with a huge (inbred- literally!) population planting and harvesting those turnips becomes a game in itself. Particularly during the later stages when forces are stacked up against you.

As for that bit about inbreeding. There's no real population cap I've ever encountered in the game, housing is merely for aesthetic and for limited building and breeding purposes. You increase your population by selecting a male villager, telling him to go into a hut, and a female village, telling her to go into the same hut, and then a baby pops out after two complete a ritual in which they loudly incite the demons through loud, gutteral cries both random and sharp. You keep doing this. Building more huts merely allow you to have more breeding couples. I don't see why these reasonable people can't just do their summoning rituals in the open.

As you population spirals out of control, food then becomes a huge problem if you're not converting the majority of the men into soldiers, sending them to their deaths, and after that, send the women to their deaths as well. Quite literally, you're going to come across situations where your entire screen would fill up with these bloody turnips. In fact, producing enough food to sustain any sizable population is more of a battle than those raids your enemy sends to you.

The second game I would recommend is Warrior Kings: Battles. Food plays a big part, but nonetheless there are other important resources as well. The big part that food plays in this game is the mechanics demanding that every standing soldier needs to draw food from the stockpiles in order not to wither away to 1 hp.

From this situation arises several issues. Would you build up a big defensive force or raiding party and stagnate your food generation as the more troops you have the less food each farmer brings in? Or would you rather forestall a build up of large forces so you can build up your food stockpile, and then, at the very end, with your multiple barracks, stables, and summoning pentagrams/churches/technofactories crank out a massive force that crushes your enemies. This last option is a little reminiscent of real world logistical issues. In most cases, preservation of forces is done due to the supplies needed to sustain said force in full combat. For example, a panzer army at the battle of the Kursk might have 3 days, 15 hours, and 12 minutes of estimated full out fighting time. Similarly, taking the latter option of not only suddenly shunting out a huge army, but also killing all your villagers to top off your population limit with soldiers gives you a limited window in which you have a limited amount of time before your entire army starts to starve. If your opponent is able to hold you off with his own non-maximized forces with his own stockpile ready, you're going to be in for a very hard fight. Unfortunately this only seems to happen when in multiplayer games as the AI doesn't seem to be capable of such strategic planning and logistical wizardry, though it is quite smart from the times I've played against it. Static defences are usually not a good defence against the harder generals.

The second food management issue is the fact that you don't really have the food in your stockpile, that is to say, the main universal stockpile you see in starcraft red alert and the like, until your caravans that carry the food and the resources reaches your home base, or similar secondary manor. Like in Rise of Nations, you're going to need to build villages around the map near resources points as a staging area for your peasants to put the extracted resources into to be brought away by caravan down the chain. For the huge armies in the late game, the farming area around your manor isn't going to be enough. This should be all the more striking since there aren't any walls in this game aside from elevations. Which is to say, that in general, most of the map is irrigable barring rare outcrops of ice and rock.

Needless to say, these caravans are quite vulnerable. And given how much land you need to sustain a large force, the distances of the farming villages alone is going to be immense. Not only can you target these caravans, but you can kill its drivers and substitute your own and haul away the loot to your own base. While food may not be a valuable target, certain gold hauling carts are. If the payload is of a good size, you can likely fund one of the late game upgrades with the raid alone.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 06:45:35 am »

There was an old, old game called Santa Paravia that I remember having a lot of emphasis on food production. It's been years since I played it, (like, 10 or 15 years) so I'm not sure how much it fits what you are looking for.

Hey! While writing this, I found someone made a free online version of it. Haven't tried it yet, but here is a link: http://www.santaparavia.com/Home.aspx

Dang, spent a good 45 minutes or so on that. Was crowned king in 1424 playing on Journeyman. Feels pleasantly surprising.
Same, although I did it in 1417 on apprentice.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 07:03:46 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_and_Merchants:_The_Shattered_Kingdom

From the wiki

The economy is very complex in Knights and Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom, more so than most other RTS games, with a greater range of resources and a need to combine basic resources in a number of ways to create a functioning economy. For example, in order to get loaves of bread, the player is required to first build a farm to get wheat, then a mill to get flour and also a bakery to bake loaves of the flour. The many different resources in the game require a large amount of corresponding buildings and units in order to fully utilize them requiring greater than usual micromanaging for an RTS.

Every citizen and soldier must eat in the game meaning that you need to produce a great deal of food creating a more naturalistic limit on army size. There is no population limit in game, instead population is limited by how much food you produce. If a unit is not fed for a sustained amount of time it will die.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 07:19:41 am »

Celtic Kings didn't have any management of food production, but you had to manage supply trains to feed your soldiers in the field. It was a rather fun game, too.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 01:01:51 pm »

it had some strong similarities, but i think the economy was more complex and the food demands were greater.  i didnt play the entire settlers series, but it seemed much more casual than K&M.

Of course, what made K&M "hardcore" was mostly it's tediousness and need for relentless micromanagement.  I dont think I'd give it another spin, but some people live for that kind of stuff.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 04:35:22 pm »

Look up KOEI
Romance of The Three Kingdoms and related type games all require you to keep your troops fed and supply armies.  Some do this better than others.
Also by KOEI is the uncharted waters series where you need to feed your sailors.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 04:42:34 pm »

Of course, what made K&M "hardcore" was mostly it's tediousness and need for relentless micromanagement.  I dont think I'd give it another spin, but some people live for that kind of stuff.
That, and the time it took for things to happen. Oh God it took ages before a building was built or something :P

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 05:01:12 pm »

That, and the time it took for things to happen. Oh God it took ages before a building was built or something :P

I am sad someone beat me to Knights and Merchants. I got more and more excited as I scrolled that I'd be the first to point it out.

The game is completely insane. It is a terrible mess that for some reason is fun as hell. Just building buildings is an amazing excerise in frustration. First, all your little guys go out and level the land. Takes forever. THEN all your guys have to bring every piece of wood and every stone to the building (I don't think it is ever more than 20 each, but still). Then one of them starts hammering. One by one planks are added to the building. 2 hours later the building is complete.

Side note here, the one by one plank thing is actually really cool to watch....

Complicating all of this is the fact that all your workers have to walk on paths. Paths can support one worker at a time. If two workers are going the opposite direction, they walk into eachother, pause a second, then circle eachother. Not bad, unless there is 50 people all trying to use the same path, which happens about 15 minutes into the game.

Anyways, sorry for the long rant. The game is still fun for some reason. Food is a massive crazy supply chain, involving 3 or 4 buildings just to make bread. If you have a unit of pikemen out in the field and they get hungry, peasants actually have to carry food out to them.

Try it out.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 05:32:35 pm »

It's oldish, and not really in-depth, but freeware with a satisfyingly difficult AI, called The General. It's very similar to Santa Paravia, but you win by conquering the enemy, and have to manage research as well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 09:50:23 pm »

On a different slant you might or might not be interested in, there's Restaurant Empire I&II, more emphasis on serving but SOME on food iirc.

And of course good old Pizza Tycoon.

And you build farms and food product items in Capitalism/Capitalism II - in fact you could mod it to be ONLY food items if you want...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 04:28:53 am »

Knights & Merchants FTW.
Pages: 1 [2]