Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for a strategyish games with an emphasis on food management!  (Read 3219 times)

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking for a game where managing food stockpiles is important to strategic or tactical success.  Not roguelikes, because they usually focus on just one person.  I know the bay12 community is the place to ask these random questions!

Examples:

Lords of the Realm:
An very old strategy war game where you planted wheat and herded cattle and sheep.  Bad weather could ruin a wheat harvest and force your peasants to eat your seed crops, completely destroying your chances of surviving the next season.  If you eat the seed crops, there's nothing to plant!  Also, you could institute half or quarter rationing in lean times, decreasing your popularity (low popularity = rebellion) but saving your food.  Milk from cattle was an reliable food source, and the cattle could butchered or sold at need.  Sheep produced lucrative wool and could also be butchered or sold. Having a surplus of food meant you could have larger armies which could be used to conquer your CPU opponents.

King of Dragon Pass:
A hybrid CYOA/strategy game where you manage a clan of tribal elders to eventually rule the land.  Diplomacy, sacrifices to fantasy gods, respecting your ancestors, trading, cattle raids, skirmishing, and exploration were all important.  But food is a major concern throughout the game.  If you had no food, your clan would get sick first, they quickly start to die.

Your main food sources was planting wheat, barley, and rye.  Wheat was most productive, but it was guaranteed to fail in bad weather (high risk/reward).  Rye was the most reliable but least productive.  About 30% of your cattle reserve was considered 'fit young oxen' where they were suitable for handling field plows.  If you had insufficient oxen, you could not plow fields for planting, and you would be desperate to steal some from neighboring clans.  Also, you had better not engage in offensive warfare during harvesting (Earth) season or your food crop would wither and die in your fields.

Hunters could get wild game from your wild forested land, but their contribution was less than that of a farmer.  During a real battle though, they would fight as skirmishers and were more useful than the average levy.  You could also trade for food, but it would never be a major source.  Also, if you engaged in too much warfare (EVEN DEFENSIVE) you would have too few able-bodied adults to manage the field.  You'd be left with just their children, and they were basically useless mouths to feed.

Third World Farmer: http://www.3rdworldfarmer.com/
A quick flash game about the hardships as surviving as a poor rural farmer.  Every season, disease, bad weather, or a rogue army can bring utter ruin.  Success breeds success, but an bad harvest can kill you all the same.

What I'm not looking for:

Europa Universalis Series: Abstracted resource management.  Where province A has 8 units of supply and moving and army of more than 8 'units' leads to attrition.  I like this game, but not for this.
Spore: It's just really boring, and the food management is abstracted in the tribal stage and gone entirely later.
RTS Series: Like Command and Conquer, Starcraft, etc.  Resource management is only partially abstracted.  I play these games, and I enjoy them, but more for the tactical emphasis than the resource management.  Guarding and exploiting resources is the key to victory here, but it just feels different than the types of games I've listed above.
Harvest Moon Series:  It's all about farming, but if you're a subpar farmer there's no real consequence.   It's important to me that your life and death depends on farming, and this game is just too cutesy!
4X Games: Like Civilization and Master of Orion.  Excellent games, just very abstracted food management.
Aurora: I tried very hard to like this even though its abstracted, but I cannot get past the interface. 
Dwarf Fortress: I love DF, but food's just too easy to get.  And the focus really isn't on the food anyway.
Roguelikes: Food is a important survival resource in many roguelikes.  Unfortunately, roguelikes usually focus on just one person.  Like Nethack, UnReal World, and Rogue Survivor - all excellent games, but lacking the strategic focus.
Europa The Guild: Food can be produced, but only as an means of making money (so you can bribe people, etc.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:53:41 pm by enigma74 »

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a strategyish games with an emphasis on food management!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:33:40 pm »

Ack double post sorry.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:43:47 pm »

Stronghold is the only one that comes to mind, but you probably know about it and don't neccessarily like its food managment as it boils down to building a granary and some farms along with a house or two so you have people who work them and all that.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 08:50:19 pm »

There was an old, old game called Santa Paravia that I remember having a lot of emphasis on food production. It's been years since I played it, (like, 10 or 15 years) so I'm not sure how much it fits what you are looking for.

Hey! While writing this, I found someone made a free online version of it. Haven't tried it yet, but here is a link: http://www.santaparavia.com/Home.aspx

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 08:55:43 pm »

I think you can farm in unreal world. Takes alot of effort to get anything meaningful in that game, altough hunting and fishing are still superior.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:33:00 pm »

I remember playing this flash game about third world farmers. Don't have a link but you may be able to find it with google. It was really intense, so many things that could fuck up your harvest and such.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:39:34 pm »

Um.. you could try haven and hearth.. Food is rather important, mostly because its important to character growth, thus it also has power as a trade commodity, in addition it helps prevent starvation.
[Although its a mmorpg and certainly food is merely one of the major focuses, not the only one...]

I don't really play it any more, but i think food plays a rather important role in village strength... [although not the only one]

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 09:59:22 pm »

The Settlers series (at least the earlier games) may well be what you're looking for.

To make bread you would need grain from a farm.  This grain needs to be ground up in a windmill before being taken to a bakery.  The bakery also needs water which can be obtained from rivers and streams.  Your cattle needs to eat grain and drink water as they grow and be taken to a butchers in order to be slaughtered.

The food industry is one of several, but it pretty much serves as the foundation of the entire game.  I'd recommend you check out Settlers 2,3 or 4.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 10:10:29 pm »

The horde?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:28:49 am »

Although I've never played it, I hear Mount and Blade has food management as a primary concern.  You play a mercenary captain whose troops will all die if they don't have enough food.  More troops = more food needed, but allows you to fight better, thus getting more money for food.

Dwarf Fortress: I love DF, but food's just too easy to get.  And the focus really isn't on the food anyway.

Of course!  In DF, the focus is on keeping your dwarves "hydrated".  That's where I always bite it.

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 01:27:25 am »

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look into them.  As for Stronghold and Mount & Blade, I've already played them out unfortunately.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
I got nothing

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 03:42:47 am »

Tropico series as well as the Anno xxxx series?

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 04:11:46 am »

There was an old, old game called Santa Paravia that I remember having a lot of emphasis on food production. It's been years since I played it, (like, 10 or 15 years) so I'm not sure how much it fits what you are looking for.

Hey! While writing this, I found someone made a free online version of it. Haven't tried it yet, but here is a link: http://www.santaparavia.com/Home.aspx

Dang, spent a good 45 minutes or so on that. Was crowned king in 1424 playing on Journeyman. Feels pleasantly surprising.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 05:32:33 am »

Well, I have a demo of this strange, oriental-themed fantasy strategy game called Battle Realms.
While, predictably, its main focus is building up your little kingdom and crushing the other little kingdoms, your two resources you had to manage were rice and water. Yeah, that's what you built from...
And you had to get your water from someplace near your base, and cultivate ricefields, guarding them from enemies.
Dunno if it's what you're looking for, but it was a bit of fun!
Was always funny hearing your advisors voice saying, horrified, "My Lord, we're out of rice!"
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: [1] 2