Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Impossible to get started?  (Read 2527 times)

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Impossible to get started?
« on: August 09, 2011, 03:47:50 pm »

Hey guys. Long time wanna-be adventurer, first time attempt.

But as I like to play things realistically (starting as peasant, hopefully rising to be a knight of legend). And all this seems to earn me is a swift punch to the head, shattering the skull and piercing the brain. I even go find myself a maceman and archer at the local Fortress. I'll get a quest to go slay a nuisance outlaw, but will be insta-gibbed.

Any tips on build? I pretty much go full strength, a bit of weapon skill as well as fighter and armor user.
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible to get started?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:52:17 pm »

Do NOT start as a peasant. It does not allow for too many skills. Pick at least Demigod when starting as an adventurer.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:56:00 pm »

Agility is generally a more useful attribute than strength early on because it allows you to get more attacks in, outrun your enemies, etc. Dodge is also a good thing to invest in. Armor user is not really a good skill to start with because it only controls how fast you move in armor, not its effectiveness. Later on when you gather up a bunch of armor it could be more useful but I think you can train it up rather easily.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »

before accepting quests, especially bandit quests which are rough, go beat up on (non-hooved) wildlife for a little while.

start with as much agility and doge/shield skill as possible.

look for night creature quests, especially against those that have not earned a title.

invest in sneaking, perhaps even eschewing fast travel to build ambusher skill.

throw things as much as possible.  especially against things that feel pain.... softens them up for when they step into melee range.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:44:22 pm »

When I start as a peasant, I put all points in my RL Patience skill and...

Well, kidding. But I take novice WeaponSkill/Armor/Shield/Dodge/Wrestle/Throw/Fighter, and sometimes swimming.
For attribs, I take 1 Strength/Agility/Toughness.

You can train anything, but as a peasant, don't go to doing the quests right on: your guy is just some farmer that watched Karate Dwarven-Kid and now thinks he can take on Dragons.

Go kill some wildlife. You probably started with a dagger (or something), use this to 't'hrow it into wildlife. With luck, you can hit something that will slow them down, and allow you to get close.
When you do, wrestle them as much as you can. Try breaking their legs/arms/paws so they can't do much, and will probably fall uncouscious.
After this, you can grab their throat and strangle them until they die: this will give you a lot of wrestling exp.

Remember that you need to 'p'ut your weapon/shield into your backpack to be able to use your hands for wrestling.
Wrestling and throwing will help your character a lot in combat.

You can also 'S'neak around to train Ambusher, and try Swimming to gain even more attribs (which are more important than skills, most of the time).
If you took no swimming skill: Go to the beach, go down a beach ramp and it will tell you you're drowning. "Swim" around sometimes and go back up the ramp, repeat. Soon you'll get Novice Swimming, and it'll be easier to train the skill, which gives you some atrib gains.

Check the wiki's Adventurer Mode page and look for the attribs and skills, you'll see which atribs affect each skills, etc. I just read it today and learned things I didn't know of, and I play the game for around 3 years now... (I'm a lazy ass Dorf)

Huge text, hope it helps anyway.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 05:19:50 pm »

A
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:46:12 am by Benedict Hardy »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:31:01 pm »

From someone who just figured all this out a couple of hours:

Part 1: Drop everything you own somewhere nearby and safe (I mean everything: It'll make cock-ups less important)

Find a square from which you can pick up any kind of small rock. Pick one up. Now start recording a macro (Ctrl+r).

While recording, pick up one rock. Press (x) to bring up your crafting menu. Make one sharpened rock. Leave the crafting menu. Throw that sharpened rock anywhere that isn't the square you are on. Stop recording.

Now save the macro, load it up and, still standing on that square, repeatedly run it. It'll take about 10 minutes, but you'll get to legendary (+5/10/whatever) thrower, archer and knapper relatively fast. This'll boost your speed by about 2-400.

Now get your stuff back.

Part 2: Next, the slightly more dangerous part. It involves actually moving somewhere. Find a duck, marmot, or any other harmless animal that can't get away too fast.

Start recording your macro again. Press (Shift+a) to target it, then (Enter), then (a), (Enter), (Enter). Stop recording macro.

Save it, load it up, run it for ten minutes. You are now a legendary wrestler with (hopefully) maxed out stats in almost everything.

Part 3: If you still have the patience (and a shield) make a macro to stand still for about 50 turns (Press (.) repeatedly) then play that for a while.

Assuming it's a duck or some other harmless animal, you'll be unlucky to even get a bruise. You will, however, rapidly gain dodge and shield user skill. By this point it's more for skill points than attributes.

Part 4: Maim some groundhogs.
This is a new adventurer he has to work his way up to maim kids.
Those brats are like mini demigods with there small stature and equal skills of a adult.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 02:34:31 am »

Demigod
Competent Swimmer
High Master Dodger

Attributes can depend. If you don't mind non-perfect stats then completely empty Musicality, Memory, Patience, Disease Resistance, Creativity, Analytical Ability and Linguistic Ability. Put Agility, Spatial Sense and Kinaesthetic Sense at max with Strength at Very High.

An alternative is to put Empathy, Social Awareness, Intuition and Recuperation at max since you seem to be able to train all the rest.

All in all none of that matters anyway because you're going to make a stone knapping -> throwing macro and leave it on for 20 minutes. That will max your speed which is seriously important. After that go find some poor woodland critter and strangle it. The trick here is to Shift-C and set combat to "Close" and then non-aim attack the creature (Ie, try to move into its square). Another good option is to pinch hands if you can find a humanoid creature. You can potentially pinch hands forever and the wrestling adds to your fighter and attributes.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 03:03:43 am »

If you read the OP you'll see that he wants to play "realistically", starting as a peasant and working his way up. I would take this to mean that he doesn't want to watch TV for half an hour while his adventurer automatically wrestles with ducks or endlessly sharpens and throws rocks.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 05:47:44 am »

A
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:47:05 am by Benedict Hardy »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 12:46:18 pm »

If you read the OP you'll see that he wants to play "realistically", starting as a peasant and working his way up. I would take this to mean that he doesn't want to watch TV for half an hour while his adventurer automatically wrestles with ducks or endlessly sharpens and throws rocks.
i find macroing to be a gigantic waste of time.  i've only recently started trying it out, and all five fully macroed characters i've made have died is spectacular displays of how much time was wasted.  last two, it was a kick from a rhino, and a kick from a hippo.

time before that a human civilian worker got lucky with a copper boning knife.

time before that, a bandit crossbowman outside my circle of vision plunked a bolt into my head while i was fighting his leader.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 02:40:22 pm »

Yes, but you were actually fighting the leader.

Even my non-trained demigods couldn't do that in un-modded DF.

It was always and instant curbstomp.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 04:18:00 pm »

Yes, but you were actually fighting the leader.

Even my non-trained demigods couldn't do that in un-modded DF.

It was always and instant curbstomp.

swinging at him while he dodged is a more apt description.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 06:47:51 pm »

Armor user is not really a good skill to start with because it only controls how fast you move in armor, not its effectiveness.

I feel so very silly now.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 07:13:57 pm »

Last time I did peasant I threw a turkey around until I passed out from exhaustion. The turkey gobbler then took vengeance upon my head and pecked it for hours and hours until I bled out.

That turkey has a page in legends, it's pretty funny. I wonder if I could now get a quest to slay this nefarious gobbler.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!
Pages: [1] 2