Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32

Author Topic: D&D 3.5: Alternative Energy: Dead but Dreaming  (Read 41016 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5: Alternative Energy: Boss Fight
« Reply #450 on: November 24, 2011, 12:29:55 pm »

Hm... Thematically, aberrations aren't exactly prevalent in this campaign, except the demonic ones. Mind Flayers in particular seem out of place in this setting, especially among a more neutral/good party. For that reason I'm likely to say no.

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 24, 2011, 12:51:57 pm »

Well specifically, I pla mind flayers as neutral. If you're that smart, why all the hurr durr evil shit? Trade god damn you. sell them things, then win a smart victory with economics, not hurr durr evil crusade. LEARN DAMN YOU.

Yes, anyways, any other races you can recommend that fit a similar role, but fit better with your setting?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #452 on: November 24, 2011, 01:36:26 pm »

Well specifically, I pla mind flayers as neutral. If you're that smart, why all the hurr durr evil shit? Trade god damn you. sell them things, then win a smart victory with economics, not hurr durr evil crusade. LEARN DAMN YOU.

Yes, anyways, any other races you can recommend that fit a similar role, but fit better with your setting?

That's not how evil geniuses work.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 24, 2011, 02:00:09 pm »

Because we have so many real life examples to choose from, eh king? :P

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 24, 2011, 02:07:02 pm »

The Lords of Madness book states straight out that the closest Mind Flayers get to positive emotion is the sensation after eating a brain. And that the race came from the future as a last resort, and now wishes to establish its renewed empire in this world and time.

And this setting isn't one to subvert stereotypes for the most part.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 24, 2011, 07:14:39 pm »

That mind flayer class has far too much ability stacking, make up a paladin or cleric with some divine feats and it could get out of hand... Or just take the obvious route and be a charisma or int based caster, get full spell progression, ridiculous- long story short, it seems a might too powerful to me...

Even an intelligence-based rogue/assassin...

It seems that the extent to which I value the lords of madness book is inversely proportional to my knowledge of its content...

Mind flayers eat civilised brains, it makes it difficult for them to maintain stable relationships with other civilisations. Economic victories are pretty much impossible with anyone who is intolerant of being eaten. So they are basically villainous because they don't have any other outlets for maintaining a social presence. And if they don't rule the world then eventually someone incompetent will...

Hmmm, maybe we could try for a low-level variant of the ogre-mage. They are intelligent, tend to be lawful-Evil, and are magically inclined. Make a psionic variant with, say, two hit dice which contribute to, hmm, they seem to have a thing for innate powers, which would seem more like a wilder...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Okay, I don't see this happening for less than a +3 LA, regeneration is nearly worth +2 on its own...
+4 strength, +2 constitution and charisma. {+2 LA, lets be generous and include large...}
Large
Space/Reach: Vertical
{That fly speed is a real problem, I could try dropping it down to 10(poor) but flight is still flight... meh}
land speed: 30, fly: 10(good)
Dark-vision {1st hit die}
Racial hit dice: 2 giant.
Racial skills: conc, list, psiC, spot
Feats: {none, this entry is so stupid, they are exactly the same feats that everyone else gets...}
Natural armour: {They seem sort of fleshy to me, +2 might work but, really, it seems like a good place to save on level adjustment without harming the feel...}
S.A.: Spells {as a second level wilder, stacks with wilder levels, this is probably the only interesting thing that can be added to hit dice, although it doesn't currently have wild surge...}
S.Q.: Regen 5/fire or acid {Dropping the spell resistance, it just isn't worth it, it is sooo tempting to drop the regen to fast healing 2, but it is sort of iconic so I will leave it in and hope that nobody notices.}
Languages as normal.
L.A.: I can has +3?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 25, 2011, 05:54:45 pm »

Server goes up in 5-10 minutes, and game starts about an hour after.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 25, 2011, 06:02:48 pm »

Okay then.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 25, 2011, 07:42:28 pm »

So, uh, I haven't been showing up because I would have to play my godawful Truenamer. To be honest, it's not very fun. Do you think it would be best if I quietly replaced Orrdus or just dropped out?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 25, 2011, 07:51:15 pm »

So, uh, I haven't been showing up because I would have to play my godawful Truenamer. To be honest, it's not very fun. Do you think it would be best if I quietly replaced Orrdus or just dropped out?

People disappear and reappear a lot in this campaign, so making a new guy wouldn't be out of the question if you still want to play.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 25, 2011, 09:07:07 pm »

What King said.

Also, the party reached Empire. Do thine shopping.

Also Also, the plot. You have one month of that.

Also Also Also, Kevkul, Adler, and Lance earned 2675 XP. Because holy shit, that boss fight was easier than I expected. And because said boss tanked a Will Save or two for RAM's ludicrous-augment Mind Thrusts, and ended up losing some 80 HP on those two saves alone.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:59:34 pm by RedWarrior0 »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 26, 2011, 12:08:13 am »

What King said.

Also, the party reached Empire. Do thine shopping.

Also Also, the plot. You have one month of that.

Also Also Also, Kevkul, Adler, and Lance earned 2675 XP. Because holy shit, that boss fight was easier than I expected. And because said boss tanked a Will Save or two for RAM's ludicrous-augment Mind Thrusts, and ended up losing some 80 HP on those two saves alone.

I also did quite a bit of damage :(

Anyway, sold my mithral shirt gaining 550 gp, leveled up but all I got was a BAB bonus and another point for reflex.

Got a bonus feat from my new level of scout (spring attack, yeeeees) currently looking for my level 7 feat, and I'll probably look for a good prestige so I can figure out what I need to put skill points into.

edit- Thinking Dervish since I already have everything for it but the perform (dance) skill ((which I do now))  My only question is if I already have the spring attack feat, what would I get instead of that when I receive it for level 3 dervish?

edit with in and edit (edception)- Going dervish, so I'm selling my masterwork longsword for 57 gold 607 gold total now, and buying a masterwork scimitar for 115 gold.  Won't be going dervish til level 10, gotta get 1 more rogue for improved uncanny dodge, and 1 more scout for improved evasion (as well as 2d6 damage for my skirmish)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:38:44 am by King_of_the_weasels »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5: Alternative Energy: The Real Real plot: HSQ
« Reply #462 on: November 26, 2011, 04:44:19 am »

Shopping you say? I don't seem to have recorded any of my income...

Meh, who needs stuff, although I would like a dorje of Call to Mind, and I should be able to afford it with what is left of my starting funds!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 27, 2011, 04:28:52 pm »

Wait wait wait
You mean I missed the shopping session? Goddammit.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 27, 2011, 04:43:47 pm »

I forget, what's the starting gold for a character in this game? I'm redoing my character entirely.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32