Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32

Author Topic: D&D 3.5: Alternative Energy: Dead but Dreaming  (Read 41005 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
D&D 3.5: Alternative Energy: Dead but Dreaming
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:50:07 am »

So, on this forum, I've seen people banning a lot of Psionics due to a lack of knowledge on the subject. Thus, as my first campaign, I'm thinking of developing a campaign with all sorts of non-core styles: Psionics(d20srd.org, probably some other stuff in XPH not there), Tome of Battle, Magic of Incarnum, Tome of Magic, Warlock from Complete Arcane, and the like. You can play a core class, but I'm certainly encouraging stuff like these new means of doing stuff. If you want to be a wizard, try out being a psion or truenamer instead. Instead of a paladin, why not try out a Crusader or Incarnate? I'll also be using this this particular Truenamer fix; as mentioned on that thread, truenamers as written... suck.

If you want a particular class or race, just ask; assume the aforementioned stuff is in. If it isn't broken, I'll probably allow it; homebrew is perfectly okay (again, if it's reasonable). If you don't have Incarnum/ToB/ToM, feel free to shoot me a PM. Also, all of the maneuvers for ToB are on the free web enhancement here; the warblade class is here.

Starting level will be 5; starting wealth will be 10,000 gp. Stats will be determined by 32 point buy. Attendance rules will be very lax; if you show up, it will be an assumed retcon into existence; you weren't at battle X (that you missed), but you were with the party since whenever in your backstory you want.

I don't have a schedule up and it probably wouldn't start for a while, but that's about it. If you have questions, feel free to ask on the thread or by PM.

Edit: When I get a more rigid schedule, I can probably do a series of intro sessions for psionics, incarnum, ToB, and the other systems.
Spoiler: Read this (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:11:14 pm by RedWarrior0 »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5: Alternative Energy: A possible campaign
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:34:25 pm »

If you need a third party fix for Truenamer, you're not trying hard enough.  :P Sure, they're tier 7, but they can get up to tier 2 or 3 if you optimize hard enough. I'm too busy to play, but I'll watch the thread in case I get time.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 01:43:24 pm »

If you need a third party fix for Truenamer, you're not trying hard enough.  :P Sure, they're tier 7, but they can get up to tier 2 or 3 if you optimize hard enough. I'm too busy to play, but I'll watch the thread in case I get time.
I'm using the third party fix because a) It has only a few changes to make a truenamer viable without incredible amounts of optimization, b) It actually provides a chance to not be stuck on one path eternally, and c) Being homebrew technically, it's perfectly legal for someone without Tome of Magic

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 07:00:45 pm »

Depending on the schedule I might be interested in trying out a psionic class. Maybe a Divine Mind (never played the buffer before) or a Soulknife. When university starts again I may not be able to continue though.

EDIT: Regardless. I'll be posting a sheet tomorrow. Also, are traits and flaws going to be used? I'll play a buffer, but Divine Mind is not an effective one.

EDIT2: I'm looking at a Spellscale (RotD, p.23) Dragon Shaman (PHB2, p.11) right now. It has the most awesome roleplaying I've ever heard of. You can't apologize or explain your actions, and you have rituals and meditations that seem like OCD. Life is a game to them. Is this race alright with you? I hope no one minds a healer/fire breather/buffer. DS may not be an alternate power fueled class, but it should prove to be versatile in uses.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:26:24 am by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 12:44:13 am »

Dragon Shaman and Spellscales are fine.

Traits and flaws are 2 traits maximum; you can have all the flaws you like, but you only get one feat for them.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 01:18:47 am »

Seems like the perfect time to break out my snakeoil salesman type guy.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

da dwarf lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 02:05:35 am »

Very interested will post sheet later dependant one one question:
Play By Post or maptools?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 02:43:21 am »

Nobody worry about being the face, I've not only got it handled it's also one of my few uses.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 02:47:39 am »

Well, if you guys are all going to be playing bizarre magic-related experimental types, I'm guessing you'll still need someone to wear the heavy armour and kick down the doors? :P
I might be interested, depending on when games are scheduled.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 02:55:35 am »

Weild a crazy weapon and you'll fit in with the theme I guess.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 03:04:27 am »

I don't know that many crazy DnD weapons...
How about, a polearm topped with a large jar of enchanted glass, in which floats the preserved brain of an ancient, awesomely powerful sorcerer, and I swing it at enemies and hope it shoots magic at them?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 03:36:39 am »

I ment more like a two-headed sword, or one of the less used polearms, like the guisarme, or the glaive.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 03:38:54 am »

or, since i'm pretty useless in a fight besides my acid and such, a gnome using the traditional gnomish hooked hammer and be my inept body guard who let my wagon get stolen along with my goods and alchemy tools.

edit- My terrible terrible character

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=319651

also is there anyway seeing as my characters built around only being able to do any form of true damage with splash weapons, that while it would still take him a week to craft his weapons he make batches instead of ONLY ONE.  I mean seriously why would a trained alchemist take an entire week to make one flask of acid?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:11:35 am by King_of_the_weasels »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 12:07:29 pm »

Here is my character sheet. I'll also be posting a character drawing later today, because I need more practice anyways. I should be done before the other D&D campaign starts. If not I'll just finish it tomorrow. The feats I chose may need approval, so I included page numbers in the sheet. Ignore the skill point count for now, it isn't saving my non-CC skills.

Once I hit level 6 I'll double as a healer. Until then I'm a damage dealer/acid breather/buffer. This class seems versatile.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:11:13 pm by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 12:34:35 pm »

also is there anyway seeing as my characters built around only being able to do any form of true damage with splash weapons, that while it would still take him a week to craft his weapons he make batches instead of ONLY ONE.  I mean seriously why would a trained alchemist take an entire week to make one flask of acid?
Well, you have a +9 on the check. Supposing you take ten on the check (as is smart, since you have a failure chance), you get a roll of 10+9=19, multiplied by the DC of 15, to get you 285 sp in value, almost making it in one third the time. And, being a kind DM, I'll let you make craft checks in the background, meaning you can start with three times the acid.

However, it looks like you (King) used 36 point buy, rather than 32.

For the martial character, I suggest a Warblade, Swordsage, or Crusader, rather than one of the more normal classes.

We will be using Maptools

Edit: Fool, I counted 33 on the point buy
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:47:42 pm by RedWarrior0 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32