Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What level of military power should the US aim for?

World Police, we can take on the world, we could win a land war in Asia, god damn it!
- 24 (20.9%)
Matched Force, enough power to take on any other nation one on one and win
- 34 (29.6%)
Force Projection, enough to have influence around the world, but no real capability for a full on war in a foreign nation
- 10 (8.7%)
Fulfilling Treaty Obligations, no more
- 22 (19.1%)
Homeland Defense, no more
- 16 (13.9%)
Nuclear Deterrent is enough
- 4 (3.5%)
We need no military power at all
- 5 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: The Military - Does the US actually need one?  (Read 12434 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Military - Does the US actually need one?
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2011, 06:17:38 pm »

If it wasn't the U.S. military in those bases around the world (Kyrgyzstan to Newfoundland!) it'd be the Russian, or the British, or even the Dutch. To save myself the effort of soap-boxing, I'll simply say that we live in a hostile age, but this is also a time where our world is connected as one. We cannot live in a Global World and not expect a Global Power.

Besides, those bases do more to improve the economy of the local areas they're placed than any 'damage' to the populace. The U.S. is not the Spanish or the Roman Empire. We don't burn cultures to the ground and impose our mandate. We just make sure everything doesn't fall apart, usually by shady means.

Do I agree? No. America was once an isolationist nation. But it was forced into interventionism by the deeds of Europe's warmongers in the early 20th century.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2011, 06:19:35 pm »

'In order for a country to be powerful, it needs to be able to stomp the other ones into dust.'
-Some bullshit I just posted
Hello Hunam

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2011, 06:20:22 pm »

Or it could be that the OP simply believes that at this point in our development, its not the best way to be "strong", and a large military actually weakens us by drawing us into unwanted and wasteful military conflicts while being a constant drain on our resources. It weakens us militarily, by definition, but unlike you, I don't see life as a political dick measuring contest where every country needs the biggest dick or it will be humiliated in the locker room, and even if that were the case I don't see why military might would be what we'd compare to determine strength.

For example, in those same 4x games, I generally DO dismantle my entire military once I get to nukes, unless I'm in an active defensive war, which is something totally different. And I'm seldom in anywhere near as a good a defensive state as the US. And to be truthfully honest, I almost end up skipping the military completely once into anything approaching a modern age, and use economic and political machinations to defend myself. But you're right, this isn't a video game, and the analogy is pretty absurd.

In real life, the US is not at risk of being conquered. It's "wars" are almost solely to preserve economic interests abroad, and I posit that our economic interests would be better served with applications other than blowing stuff up.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2011, 06:25:49 pm »

Has the US ever been invaded? Nope. Would the US even be valuable enough tp make it worthwhile to invade? I mean, aren't you Americans basically just consumers? There aren't many natural resources that can't be found in greater amounts elsewhere.  ???

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2011, 06:27:05 pm »

A: 4x games have very little to do with real life

B: Blowing stuff up is the BEST way to deal with other people!(Dead men can't bother you)

C: Armies are a good bargaining tactic in unstable countries, because it gives the people in them reason to fear.

The US's mil budget IS overblown, but it should only be decreased, not ripped up.

Has the US ever been invaded? Nope.
The US is among the youngest countries in the world, it WILL eventually. There will always be a reason to conquer every inch of the earth at some point.
Hello Hunam

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2011, 06:32:53 pm »

We don't burn cultures to the ground and impose our mandate. We just make sure everything doesn't fall apart, usually by shady means.

Depends on who you're giving their due as having a culture. We've imposed our mandate on Afghanistan. Some Afghanis may really appreciate their girls going to school, no Opium trade and freedom from roving bands of religious police. Others think we're poisoning their culture with our values. We damn near wiped out the middle half of Vietnam, and installed the Southern Vietnamese dictator Diem because we were afraid of a populist Communist takeover of Vietnam, which happened eventually anyways as a military takeover in part because of our intervention. Diem was a pretty big ass, btw.

Do I agree? No. America was once an isolationist nation. But it was forced into interventionism by the deeds of Europe's warmongers in the early 20th century.

Like when we rolled into China in the 19th century and basically told them the Opium trade would continue unabated at gun point? And then went next door to isolationist Japan and told them to open their doors or we'd blast them open? When the CIA was planning to invade several countries in Latin America to install friendly dictators there in the 70s? We have an record that is one half awesome, and one half as deplorable as everyone else's in history.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:38:33 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2011, 06:33:38 pm »

Has the US ever been invaded? Nope.
Yep.
Would the US even be valuable enough to make it worthwhile to invade? I mean, aren't you Americans basically just consumers? There aren't many natural resources that can't be found in greater amounts elsewhere.  ???
The USA is extremely abundant in food, weapons, and coal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2011, 06:33:50 pm »

Yes. the us has been invaded. Several times in fact.

And we have at or near the top in coal, natural gas, uranium, arable farm land, fresh water and possibly rare earth metals.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2011, 06:35:35 pm »

Has the US ever been invaded? Nope. Would the US even be valuable enough tp make it worthwhile to invade? I mean, aren't you Americans basically just consumers? There aren't many natural resources that can't be found in greater amounts elsewhere.  ???

No. You're wrong on all fronts, friend. It's been invaded many times, mostly by Europeans. Once by the Japanese.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2011, 06:36:05 pm »

Depending on how you want to view the Civil War, we faced a war of attrition on our own soil by a "foreign power" that we weren't guaranteed to win until it was 80% over.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2011, 06:38:13 pm »

Also, one more thing, nuclear power is very dangerous power to hide behind, you could destroy the entire earth via chain reaction by launching one nuke. I'd rather spend millions on an army, thank you.
Hello Hunam

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2011, 06:39:29 pm »

Yes. the us has been invaded. Several times in fact.

And we have at or near the top in coal, natural gas, uranium, arable farm land, fresh water and possibly rare earth metals.

Farm land? sure. Fresh water? Eh, pollution might render that wrong, I'm not sure. Coal? Becoming less and less important. Uranium? I'm not sure, but if a country just wanted uranium, Australia would probably be less risky. Natural gas? Probably. Metal? Not a clue.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2011, 06:40:00 pm »

Also, one more thing, nuclear power is very dangerous power to hide behind, you could destroy the entire earth via chain reaction by launching one nuke. I'd rather spend millions on an army, thank you.

Please don't troll.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2011, 06:41:58 pm »

No. You're wrong on all fronts, friend. It's been invaded many times, mostly by Europeans. Once by the Japanese.
I'm... pretty sure the US has never been invaded by the Japanese.  Air raids do not generally qualify as invasions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2011, 06:43:25 pm »

The Japanese did in fact invade Alaska.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14