Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I... am... not... dorfy... enough!  (Read 3367 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: I... am... not... dorfy... enough!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 06:25:13 am »

When I order my dwarves to butcher a kitten while my own kitten is sound asleep in my lap, I feel very, very ashamed. Then do it anyway, because I need the meat, dammit.

That seems quite sig-worthy.

Can I? Can I please?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 06:44:37 am »

Guys, just pretend all the animals are fangirls.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 07:21:01 am »

I have three kittens and two cats. I cannot bring myself to butcher kittens.

However, to remedy this and to prevent catsplosion, I do three things:

1. Reduce litter size to 1-2 per litter.
2. Pasture all cats in my food storage area to catch vermin. (They don't need to eat)
3. Make it so cats grow to adulthood in 4 years.

That way, they keep out vermin while never actually producing enough kittens to cause a catsplosion.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 09:02:01 am »

That happens.

most dwarves generally only kill animals that are harmful to them or to the frame-rate. Or for food, that is as a last resort.

Just realize that, the butcher shop is not for the squeamish.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 09:05:00 am »

When I order my dwarves to butcher a kitten while my own kitten is sound asleep in my lap, I feel very, very ashamed. Then do it anyway, because I need the meat, dammit.
That seems quite sig-worthy.
Can I? Can I please?

Why, I would be honored. :D

Guys, just pretend all the animals are fangirls.

[z][ENTER][b-b-b-b-b-b-b]

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 02:05:10 pm »

I felt guilty about killing a ton of Naked Mole Dog Puppies because they're good in a fight and a bitch to catch, but I had too many.
Other animals? No. I was pissed when my Mayor managed to kill the Giant Olm I put in his room for mandate-control, but that's about it.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 02:21:42 pm »

Once I realized I could make thread from any animal's hair, I had to restrain myself from butchering everything.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 03:11:21 pm »

I'm actually vegetarian in real life, but I have no problem with the meat industry in DF.  There are plenty of things in DF that don't carry over into real life, so I don't sweat it too much.  I do draw the line at butchering cats and dogs, though.  Partly because my mom is Korean and the "ZOMG Koreans eat dogs and cats" schtick got really old, really fast as a kid.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 03:28:54 pm »

I wouldn't have butchered every single dog in my fortress if they hadn't been biting and scratching a dwarf every 10 seconds.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.
Pages: 1 [2]