Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 955837 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3450 on: December 11, 2013, 01:01:39 pm »

None. Then the society, students, school kids etc would be so much more productive and healthy.
I don't know about you, but if I wasn't wasting my time on videogames, I would be wasting it sleeping or masturbating.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: December 11, 2013, 01:10:39 pm »

I want a shooter game, WAIT!!! Hear me out, that is set in space. Now I know there are a lot, but I don't mean just in a space ship, but in space. The multiplayer would have standard deathmatch/team deathmatch/capture the flag gamemodes but there would be no gravity. Instead, players would use their jetpacks to move around and the recoil from their guns (it pushes back not up). While the jet pack would help getting around normally, using the guns would send you speeding in the opposite direction which could be used for quick escapes. Also, you can't just change your direction. You maintain your momentum due to a lack of any opposing force and use either your jetpack or your gun to counteract your motion.
There would also be floating obstacles to manouver around.

Isn't Shattered Horizon basically this?  I've never played it, so maybe guns don't have recoil, but it's a shooter, in space, where you move with your jet pack.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: December 11, 2013, 01:20:53 pm »

None. Then the society, students, school kids etc would be so much more productive and healthy.
I don't know about you, but if I wasn't wasting my time on videogames, I would be wasting it sleeping or masturbating.
Yeah people pursue leisure. Plus, because the internet and computer jobs do exist, video games help improve computer literacy and thus  help prepare the civilization's workforce to fulfill those commercial needs. If you plopped video games down in a society without any computers or internet otherwise, yeah video games could be considered a waste of time.

But games stimulate learning, regardless. They don't need to be stupid "educational" games. DF for example made me learn a lot more about many things.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: December 11, 2013, 04:04:13 pm »

Yeah people pursue leisure. Plus, because the internet and computer jobs do exist, video games help improve computer literacy and thus  help prepare the civilization's workforce to fulfill those commercial needs. If you plopped video games down in a society without any computers or internet otherwise, yeah video games could be considered a waste of time.

But games stimulate learning, regardless. They don't need to be stupid "educational" games. DF for example made me learn a lot more about many things.

Honestly, DF should be distributed to Geology students. Anything by Paradox for History majors could also work.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: December 11, 2013, 05:12:25 pm »

I like to think that the main educational value of games is in stimulating someone to learn more about something from legitimate scholarly sources or at least high-quality mass media. You play the game, you get hella intrigued, you pick up a book or watch a documentary.

The games that try to be educational seem to get pretty boring because they focus more on education than enjoyment, so unless you already enjoy that scholarly subject you're unlikely to be enchanted by it. So the game generally has to sacrifice realism and accuracy for some enjoyment, e.g. Carmen Sandiego.

Some exceptions may apply, such as in math games where the trappings of the game don't interfere whatsoever with the mathematics. You could argue that a Carmen Sandiego game does this also and the important matter is separating the pursuit of the crooks and the appropriate knowledge that allows you to pursue them effectively. And there have to be games out there that are strictly realistic but still enjoyable.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: December 11, 2013, 05:33:07 pm »

If it weren't videogames then it'd be movies, or anime, or comic books, or novels. Honestly, all entertainment should be banned if we're going to pursue that line of discussion.

Besides, if a kid is being lazy, getting poor grades and becoming a manchild, then maybe you should look at the parent first.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: December 11, 2013, 07:20:44 pm »

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: December 12, 2013, 03:48:28 pm »

I was about to describe the game I would really want but after looking at the post I think I was describing:

Game rules from Ultima Online with additional content, focused on sidegrades and tradeoffs rather than simply +1 this and +1 that, though with a good deal of minor loot to be had, so that at most 3 new characters would be a match for a single hardened character, or perhaps 4 new characters vs. a single absolutely maxed-out character.

World size and procedural generation from the best Minecraft mods.

Handcrafted dungeons from the best that Thief, Skyrim, and D&D Online could deliver.

3D game engine focused on interactive/situational/gameplay-enhancing graphics rather than just high res textures and high poly counts.

Planetside-style multiplayer with player outfits and pick-up squads, fighting over territory, etc.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: December 12, 2013, 04:05:59 pm »

The sorta game I wish existed is sorta like x-com or xenonaughts, but with more, I dunno, expansion.
A game where you could send potentially thousands of troops after a crashed UFO, where the UFOs attack from orbit, where you mus keep your people safe, get the world to work together and keep the munitions and food heading to where needed. A game where you have the ability to have dropships drop off the troops, then take off and provide support. A game where the aliens might just give up and attack all out, turning the earth into slag or into a nuclear winter wonderland, and where when you choose a nation to start with you get its weapons and equipment, its bases, its problems. A game where your troops might disobey your orders, where your officers lead, and where you only know what is happening during fights via what you have there, radio if the troops have it, cameras if they have it, etc. A game where the aliens may go after you if you dont keep hidden, and where you could loose early if, say, they decide to nuke the city you are in.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: December 12, 2013, 04:37:49 pm »

I want a shooter game, WAIT!!! Hear me out, that is set in space. Now I know there are a lot, but I don't mean just in a space ship, but in space. The multiplayer would have standard deathmatch/team deathmatch/capture the flag gamemodes but there would be no gravity. Instead, players would use their jetpacks to move around and the recoil from their guns (it pushes back not up). While the jet pack would help getting around normally, using the guns would send you speeding in the opposite direction which could be used for quick escapes. Also, you can't just change your direction. You maintain your momentum due to a lack of any opposing force and use either your jetpack or your gun to counteract your motion.
There would also be floating obstacles to manouver around.

Isn't Shattered Horizon basically this?  I've never played it, so maybe guns don't have recoil, but it's a shooter, in space, where you move with your jet pack.

Thank you so much for showing me this! I can't wait to buy the game. I'll probably get it during the Christmas sale. I feel like my dream game has finally been realized. Thank you!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: December 12, 2013, 04:39:19 pm »

Sounds sorta like a KSP with guns...

Although, in KSP you dont NEED guns.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: December 12, 2013, 04:55:33 pm »

I've always wanted a KSP-like game based around absurd warfare. Like, two people on the same planet, or even different ones, get in a war.

You might have players strap guided rockets to a VTOL... or have a spacecraft drop a bunch of superheavy rods onto the enemy. You might have a player create a net of satellites that shoot down things entering range, then drop through the atmosphere onto the enemies if they try to damage the satellites/ one gets taken out.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: December 12, 2013, 05:07:16 pm »

Some people have done this, one even without mods.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: December 13, 2013, 05:22:21 am »

DF is a special game, and I know too many people who waste their time on MMORPG. I should have better phrased it differently, and I do love games, but I think that even sleeping would be better because you can only sleep so much! Hehe.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: December 13, 2013, 07:11:19 am »

People procrastinated before video games were invented you know, it's not like we're the start of history.
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 577