Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239184 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #765 on: August 20, 2012, 04:30:25 am »

Skills or items?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 20, 2012, 04:32:44 am »

Items. Skill I get web then spiders and grab ult when needed grab her E after there both 4.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 20, 2012, 04:49:41 am »

Fast Soul Ring, then Orchid and BKB, the order depending on the game, Vlads can be nice too. After that, any damage item really, Manta, Butterfly, Monkey King Bar, Daedalus....you name it.

The only real core is Soul Ring, but without a BKB you will usually be useless in a teamfight and Orchid is too good on her to pass on.

As for boots treads are usually the safest choice but phase or travel can work too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:58:01 am by Alg »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 20, 2012, 05:31:59 am »

I'd suggest not going travel, but otherwise, yea. Manaboots are workable too, I prefer soulring myself, but I've seen some crazy fast towering done with a manaboot brood. Might be useful if you aren't solo.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 20, 2012, 07:15:55 am »

Aui_2000 from PotM Bottom says that you should Soul Ring into Manta on Brood and then get another DPS item before BKB.

His reasoning is that Brood can do so much more with a Manta than with an early BKB since a Brood without any DPS items but with magic immunity is kind of worthless. Whereas with Manta she can break dust, move much faster, do way more damage, etc. etc. Since her job is to split push endlessly, buying magic immunity just to survive ganks is overkill and will waste charges on the BKB as when teamfighting time comes around... she will only have 5 seconds of BKB left on the timer.

Take from that what you will.

Personally I don't even bother buying BKB on her. I go Manta into Heart. Or if the enemy sucks I Manta into Butterfly. I don't really like buying BKB unless I feel I need it. It's never a core in any of my builds. Because honestly, the stats are really kinda crap for the cost. Especially if you're not a strength hero. I guess the trick is to be able to identify when exactly you need a BKB compared to when you can do without.

For example:
- Enemy is Bane, Sniper, Spirit Breaker, Crystal Maiden, Antimage = Why on earth should I waste 4000g on magic immunity? It only stops like... one of them.
- Enemy is Tidehunter, Earthshaker, Leshrac, Shadow Shaman, Drow Ranger = BKB all the way

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 20, 2012, 07:41:55 am »

With her ult and Incapacitating Bite, Broodmother does quite a lot of DPS even without damage items, enough to be certain that without a BKB she'll be a primary target for disables in teamfights (and I'd argue that Orchid IS a dps item, +30 damage/IAS and 20% amplify damage effect is nothing to laugh at). But an early Manta works too, especially if you mostly want to avoid teamfights and keep split pushing.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 20, 2012, 07:56:45 am »

Here's the link to the interview if anyone is interested: http://www.joindota.com/en/news/3132-aui_2000-weve-had-a-couple-of-offers

PotM Bottom is a popular underdog team that just appeared recently and is notable for having trounced some other big players in recent tournaments like the Defense. If they were around earlier, they'd be strong contenders to win the International.

Unconventional builds indeed. In one of the games against CLG, you showcased an item/skill build on Broodmother that would make some public teammates think they have a noob on their team. Yet, you pulled that unconventional strategy off to massive effect. Could you elaborate on your reasoning behind that? Is that your normal way to play Broodmother?

Yes that's my normal way to play Broodmother. My skill build is to only get 3 in Spawn Spiderlings unless I'm doing really poorly and need to spam someone out of lane with the spell damage instead of Spiderling summons (so basically only against Tidehunter or Darkseer). This is because levels three and four of Broodmother's nuke both cause three summons to spawn, which is really what is important from the nuke.

As for item build, I really dislike most players’ choice of going for a quick Orchid Malevolence or Black King Bar on Broodmother. There are a few reasons for this: Number one being the fact that a Broodmother with an Orchid is still relatively easy to gank, and even a BKB is not as good as a Manta Style for avoiding ganks and stretching out opponents, as Manta makes her reach almost haste speed in her web, and allows her to dispel of a lot of debuffs such as Dust of Appearance, Track and Amplify Damage.

BKB/Orchid doesn't allow Broodmother - a hero who is supposed to pretty much be power solo farming a lane and a few jungle camps - to be a ticking time bomb in terms of carry potential, where if left alone she will completely control and destroy every team fight. Furthermore, a BKB and/or Orchid Broodmother accomplishes relatively little in terms of pure damage in team fights/skirmishes, meaning that she cannot really be the main carry.

Finally, Manta allows Broodmother to slowly push into the tier 3 towers and barracks, whereas other builds tend to stagnate once the tier 2 tower goes down.

People tend to play Broodmother only as a split push hero, but I think that her straight battle potential can be also be really high with two or three damage items before a BKB, and no Orchid because a buff of 512 movement speed, an additional 100 damage, 80% lifesteal, and constant a 40% slow on a hero is probably one of the scariest things to go against in Dota 2.

He also promotes going Mek first on Viper as well as other unconventional builds.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 20, 2012, 09:01:15 am »

PotM Bottom is a popular underdog team that just appeared recently and is notable for having trounced some other big players in recent tournaments like the Defense. If they were around earlier, they'd be strong contenders to win the International.

That's a bit strong, they have a pretty good run going but it is in a period where most other top teams are focused on training for The International. They are not the first team to come out of nowhere and win everything : teams like AL, Dignitas, Fire (now CoL) and Copenhagen Wolves had similar seemingly unstoppable streak  but all eventually had a rough time after that (usually after meeting Na'Vi, but PB already did that :p). They certainly have potential but they still have everything to prove.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 20, 2012, 09:20:04 am »

Why didn't I think of this myself sooner?  I had typed out a long reply about why it's such a great idea to build manta, but it's just redundant.  It's just so obvious now, especially when I think about how I use brood.

I generally play brood as simply a strong off-lane that capitalizes on the fears people have about brood.  It throws the opponent off and lets your jungle and safe-lane farm much more effectively and even push themselves as the opponents try to gank you.  Basically: broodmother is a red herring.  The other team looks at brood and thinks that she's the direct threat: she will push towers down and make their jungle dangerous.  That's true, but the more important advantage is that the opponent will adjust to deal with this, probably giving your jungler and safe-lane more room to do their thing.  Brood can deal easily with 1v2, but can the rest of their team deal with what amounts to a 4v3?  A 4v3 that usually consists of ~2 solos and an easy duo lane?

The pro scene is a goddamn mess.  If you follow the scene, it's abundantly clear that teams are just sticking together so they can go.   Whats more, Navi is either engaging in mind-games of the highest level or they've lost their edge.   It'll be interesting to see the flood of roster swaps and disbanding that's going to take place immediately following TI2.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #774 on: August 20, 2012, 07:59:50 pm »

Is it just me or is Clinks' ult complete shit? Couple hundred extra health, little more damage, completely reliant on your being near creeps. I don't get it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 20, 2012, 08:16:25 pm »

Is it just me or is Clinks' ult complete shit? Couple hundred extra health, little more damage, completely reliant on your being near creeps. I don't get it.
A couple hundred extra health is actually a really good thing. It costs 1000g to increase your hp by 190. So if you think of it from that point of view, it's pretty cost efficient. It's also somewhat luck based in that if you grab a Furbolg or Centaur, you get 800hp and 80 damage (!!!) but if you ate a creep you'd get nothing. Mrm... from an item point of view. You can think of eating a Furbolg as gaining 9000g worth of stuff for 35 seconds. So use it on jungle creeps. Big ones with lots of HP. Or Chen's stuff (hilarious, since he gives more hp to his creeps. Eating Chen's Centaur is 1120hp +112 damage. Freaking insane.) or Invoker's forge spirits.

Hope that helps.

Edit: For a comparison, Clinkz's base hp and damage at level 16 is 929 and 84-90. So if you ate a Furbolg you'd double your stats and essentially be two Clinkzs at once.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 20, 2012, 10:05:40 pm »

To be totally honest, saying that it costs 1000 to get 10 str isn't honest.  Ogre axe and the other +10 items are the most inefficient source of stats in the game.  Two bracers gives you more str for 50 more gold and damage, agi, and int to boot.

vee41

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 21, 2012, 12:51:47 am »

To be totally honest, saying that it costs 1000 to get 10 str isn't honest.  Ogre axe and the other +10 items are the most inefficient source of stats in the game.  Two bracers gives you more str for 50 more gold and damage, agi, and int to boot.

Two bracers also take one more inventory slot compared to ogre axe. Inventory slots are resources as well :)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 21, 2012, 01:20:05 am »

Clinkz' ult is really quite something. I like it. It isn't a gamechanger like Levi or something, but it's really good.

The only ult I really cant make work is dark seer's illusion wall...

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 21, 2012, 01:34:05 am »

Clinkz' ult is really quite something. I like it. It isn't a gamechanger like Levi or something, but it's really good.

The only ult I really cant make work is dark seer's illusion wall...
Levi?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 246