Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55758 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #480 on: March 14, 2014, 02:30:03 pm »

Just my post mortum.

I enjoyed it early on. But it was impossible to gear up without the auction house. And then they added paragon levels, making it even more difficult for me to get good equipment. Frustrating.

I think the biggest problem with the game was that they designed it with the auction house in mind. They should have just designed a great game that you could gear up in and put the auction house on top of that.

As for the story, I think all the ire is funny. It's just a hack-n-slash. I guess that is the way Blizzard felt too.

But I won't play it any more. I will have to buy the expansion to enjoy the game it sounds like. And I don't really want to give them any more money.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 14, 2014, 02:35:41 pm »

But I won't play it any more. I will have to buy the expansion to enjoy the game it sounds like. And I don't really want to give them any more money.

All the auction houses die this coming Tuesday, so the item market has been excised. To give you an idea, the characters I had at max level that were AH geared have all self-found at least half a suit of upgrades in the past week. Paragon levels no longer grant magic find (and magic find itself has been almost entirely removed). As far as I can tell, the vanilla end-game has very achievable goals even without the expansion, including top-tier gem crafting costs cut from 30 million gold each to 100,000 gold per gem.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #482 on: March 14, 2014, 02:40:06 pm »

You get nice magic find boosts iirc by being on a team with other people and staying close to one another. Much better loot drops that way.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #483 on: March 14, 2014, 03:06:00 pm »

-snip-
This actually sounds like a game I'd like to play...

I bought this game over a year ago, for my birthday.
I played it maybe 2 weeks, and got into another game.
A few week later I decided to give Diablo III another go.

But alas, my account was blocked and disabled due to 'suspicious activity'.
The only way they want to re-open it for me, is when I send them a copy of my passport.
Which is against the law where I come from. Passport is government property, and I am not allowed to put a digital copy on the internet. ( Dutch law ).

FUCK BLIZZARD I WANT MY MONEY, OR MY ACCOUNT BACK
THIS however just sucks.
And it sucks they defend this always-online crap with such excuses like "we made this an online game, not offline".

Still, might finally grab it, if I see it somewhere for 10€ or less.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #484 on: March 14, 2014, 03:13:29 pm »

Which is against the law where I come from. Passport is government property, and I am not allowed to put a digital copy on the internet. ( Dutch law ).
Can't you fax it? In any case as far as I am aware it is only illegal to make a color copy of the passport. if you do a black and white copy you should be fine. We have the same law in the US.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 14, 2014, 05:35:21 pm »

Might've been posted already, but on the topic of the story I quite enjoyed this summary:

Diablo 3 in 3 minutes

As for the gameplay, I never found it to be the abomination some did, but it also never really grabbed me too much - the basic running around slaughtering hordes of baddies is always fun, but I wasn't too enamoured with the skill system and obviously loot was poorly done.  I'll probably revisit it with all the changes, but it's behind finishing the games I got in the xmas sale(s) and AoW3's upcoming release in my queue (and quite probably something else will have pushed ahead of it by the time I'm done with them).  I definitely don't see myself buying the expansion at that price though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 14, 2014, 07:35:38 pm »

-snip-
This actually sounds like a game I'd like to play...

It's a game I do play. But see this:

Might've been posted already, but on the topic of the story I quite enjoyed this summary:
Diablo 3 in 3 minutes

For why it's not enjoyable (the video actually misses plenty of other choice moments.) It's basically B-movie bad entertainment, but you kind of want something better for a series you really liked. Blizzard just went overboard, and no it doesn't surprise me given the gap between the Blizzards of Diablo 2 and 3. The older games worked because they were understated, whereas D3 trumpets constantly. Decent plotting would have helped a ton, but it was just insult after injury during release. Act III pretty much says everything about the feel of the story, and while that video paraphrases, it is pretty much dead accurate.

I didn't really realize how attached I was to the Diablo storyline until it mutated into Diablo 3. I even would have enjoyed the expanded world, demons, angels, angel-humans, whatever, if it hadn't gone so horribly off the rails.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:39:24 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hikarikami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 14, 2014, 08:21:44 pm »

I've always loved the universe and lore of the Diablo games, and I 100% agree they totally butchered the storyline, dialogue and character personalities of Diablo III. To me it feels like they took a great movie, and made a terrible B-Grade saturday cartoon out of it. Still, the good thing with Diablo is that once you've done your first play through, you never really need to pay attention to any of the awful voice acting, storyline or flat character personalities again. Although I'd love to be able to turn the voices off of my companions. They say the most ridiculously stupid things constantly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 14, 2014, 08:29:41 pm »

You get nice magic find boosts iirc by being on a team with other people and staying close to one another. Much better loot drops that way.

IIRC, this doesn't happen anymore. My Magic Find on a full group in Torment II is at 24%. It rarely if ever shows up on items now.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 14, 2014, 09:02:01 pm »

More atmosphere, less exposition I say.

The old games had that.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 14, 2014, 09:17:08 pm »

The old games had that.

I think D3 has more, although not necessarily always better, atmosphere than D2. There are lots of flourishes, good looking fog, interesting lighting, tons of environmental detail. I honestly enjoy the levels when I'm playing solo and have time to appreciate it. D2 by contrast was very dark, and claustrophic. Everything was gritty. But that's why D3 gets seen as a cartoon, because the style differences are that stark.

But as soon as a major story character opens their gob in D3, or giant c-c-c-combo messages come across my screen, the atmosphere evaporates for me. As when a fountain of light erupts forth from me when I level. That said, the side tales and vignettes seem to be way, way better voiced and written than the main story parts.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 14, 2014, 09:25:28 pm »

The old games had that.

I think D3 has more, although not necessarily always better, atmosphere than D2. There are lots of flourishes, good looking fog, interesting lighting, tons of environmental detail. I honestly enjoy the levels when I'm playing solo and have time to appreciate it. D2 by contrast was very dark, and claustrophic. Everything was gritty. But that's why D3 gets seen as a cartoon, because the style differences are that stark.

But as soon as a major story character opens their gob in D3, or giant c-c-c-combo messages come across my screen, the atmosphere evaporates for me. As when a fountain of light erupts forth from me when I level. That said, the side tales and vignettes seem to be way, way better voiced and written than the main story parts.

Imo D2 went awaywith most "claustrophobia" and darkness as most of it takes place out on fresh air in contrast to D1 where the ENTIRE game was underground.
Not to mention that D2 was pretty damn bright... especially Act 2.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 14, 2014, 10:00:34 pm »

By comparison to D1, yeah, D2 is bright and open. But I thought dungeons retained those feels of darkness and claustrophobia. What honestly happened was their level generation code got better, way cleaner, but it also resulted in less interesting arrangements (I recall a lot of horrifying "turn the corner" moments in D1 because of weird geometry, less in D2.) And truth be told, the magma layer and Hell in D1 were both pretty completely lit. But D2 still had that gritty aesthetic which, while it didn't really change the desert levels, it made the Jungle levels feel pretty dark and creepy.

But D3 looks like noonday sunlight compared to both, even when it's trying to be dark, because D3 avoided absolute darkness pretty much as a rule.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 15, 2014, 12:40:08 am »

I actually thought D2 was a bit too dark in places (The act 3 underground stuff and act IV comes to mind) to convey enough gameplay information to the player. I recall fiddling with brightness settings and getting a washed-out look, then getting frustrated and coping with grainy, gritty black on black on gray. I kinda think each has their strong points...

D3's levels are straightforward and readable in almost every circumstance. However this does make them a bit straightforward and simplistic at times...
But...
It also doesn't have anything as face-punchingly frustrating as Durance of Hate 3 (the colossally huge one) or the sandworm lair... Or the damn rivers at the start of D2's act 3.

Conversely, D3 also has very few truly *special* memorable areas, like the arcane/chaos sanctuaries or Arreat summit. I like bridge of korsikk and Kulle's archives; those two had some character.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #494 on: March 15, 2014, 02:49:50 am »

It's a game I do play. But see this:

Diablo 3 in 3 minutes
Wow.
This is...bad. Hilariously bad.
I...uh.  :o
You know, I AM laughing at how bad it is. And I can see myself laughing while playing because this...this just feels like a bad, BAD parody of previous Diablo games.
Or maybe it's a genius kind of parody?  :o
But as someone who liked the whole atmosphere of 2nd one...yes, this is almost insulting.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43