Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55746 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #450 on: September 18, 2013, 03:20:05 am »

Really?
Usually they just ask for you CD-key and secret question.

I would NEVER send a copy of my passport to a gaming company.

But look on the bright side, D3 is terrible anyways, so they might be doing you a favour.

Well, they did ask the secret question, but the answer to that was not what I set it to anymore. I guess my account got hacked or something. That's why they permanently blocked it, and sent me a mail that the only way to unblock it now, is by sending them a copy of my passport. First time for me too, I was rather flabberghasted. Now I'm just still pissed at them. I'm poor. I saved up 12 months to buy a game for my own birthday, and then it gets blocked :(
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 18, 2013, 04:01:37 am »

The PC version will probably go down in history as a prime example of how NOT to do it.

However, I must say that I’m very happy with my PS3 version.
+ : No auction house, offline play, better loot earlier, and up to 4 players on the same TV.
- : It still a mindless slicing through enemies and collecting loot, but sometimes I’m in the mood for that.

Positive credit goes to the designer who remade the interface, so it is nicer to play with the controller than a mouse.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 18, 2013, 04:40:15 am »

Its never to late to do the right thing.

I am pretty sure that some type of offline is coming, as there is no need to have always online anymore, and actually will lover their server costs if there is offline mod that people can play. Maybe even some type of modding can come, I mean if they removed rmha, something that no one expected, heck modding support is not that much impossible than.

The two big problems they fixed, rmha and i think always online also will be fixed.

I have 3 more problems with the game at the moment
-character progression and leveling (they need to improve it and make is less streamlined, at least as a option for people that want to tweak everything and not allow game to do it for them instead)
-art style (it will not change, and i can live with it, but it is a shame that it's not similar to older ones)
-better item design
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:47:32 am by ragnar119 »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 18, 2013, 05:45:34 am »

There probably won't be any modding "support" per se, but then D2 has a heavy modding scene (that's still pretty active even now) and it wasn't designed for or supported modding at all either.

However, modding D3 has other hurdles if most of calculations are done server-side, as Blizzard holds to be true. Maxis said this was true of Simcity but that proved to be false; however, given Blizzard does run a lot of multiplayer games I'm inclined to believe them in that regard. Even so, WoW and other MMOs have private servers despite them also being largely server-run systems, so modding may be possible regardless of what Blizzard decides to do.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 14, 2014, 12:08:17 am »

Sorry for rez.  So the game is on sale for 20 dollars, just picked it up.  Anyone else also a newb and wants to play together?  The itemization complaints from the past doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, although I've only played about 2 hours, I'm really liking the game.

Humdilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Go Action Bastard Anti-Enema Beam!
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 14, 2014, 02:27:44 am »

I suggest that people give it another shot. They are definitely making some positive changes. They are also discontinuing the real-money and gold auction houses. The expansion is going to bring back gambling from Diablo 2. They are still working on making underpowered classes less... well... underpowered. Progress has been slow, but I just got back to it after a year and had a blast and I feel that it's only going to get better.

hikarikami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 14, 2014, 04:37:07 am »

Thought I'd post in here too. I picked up the game launch day as a huge fan of Diablo II. After putting in maybe 10 hours of game time, trying out two different characters, I stopped playing. I couldn't get into it, I found the items lacklustre and the skill system annoying.

Fast-forward to just last week, and I got bored and decided to try playing again. I've found the skills system more balanced and interesting (so long as you have the advance skills mode activated, and the display more detailed tooltips enabled), the item drop changes are a lot more fun and fast coming, and less reliance on the auction house means it's easier for me to play by myself or with just a friend or two and not have to bother with interacting with other players. I've already pumped about another 20 hours into the game, and I'm thinking I will probably pick up the expansion pack now.

I guess the only downside is the fact there is still no offline mode, though to be honest that never really bothered me - especially considering how common hacking and glitched items were on Diablo 2.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 14, 2014, 09:24:36 am »

Yeah, I've got to come back to say my piece too.

Perhaps no one was more butthurtt than I about how mechanically D3 shaped up.

So I did the schadenfruede dance when I heard the AH was closing, patted myself on the back for being so knowing and decided for funsies to see what the game was like now. (Last time I played was months prior to the Monster Power changes and all that junk.)

And.......the game is actually fun to play now. I suppose people that were never displeased by D3 will say "Not that much has changed." But for someone who a) never used the auction house b) never messed with the monster power settings and c) hadn't seen the new gear scheme.....it's a very different game.

You actually get gear that is an upgrade while playing the game! Many of the FU-monster pack abilities like invulnerability are gone. Elites and Champions no longer one shot you like they started to do on Hell/Inferno difficulty of old. White mobs don't just steam roll you anymore. XP is fast, fast, fast. (Running about 500% bonus xp right now due to the event and my gear.) Lots of skills have been made more viable and less restrictive (Monk's Dashing Strike no longer requires a target to be used, so it actually functions as an escape ability now.) Lots of legendaries with interesting abilities that may not be amazing, but at least they're fun and cool. (Stuff happens when you open chests or pick up health globes, lots of nice passive abilities.) You're guaranteed at least 1 legendary drop if you play for 20 minutes each day. That's almost overkill IMO, but they're compensating for months and months and months of bullshit drops. Skills can basically be changed on the fly now, no going back to town. Nephalem Valor is gone. No more farming elites and shit so you can get a bonus to go do what you actually want. Now instead there are XP shrines that give you bonus XP for a certain amount, and you can keep adding to the total bonus XP you'll get by finding more shrines, and not dying. Paragon levels are now account-wide instead of by-character...so when you create a new toon, you can basically supercharge them at level 1 with all your available Paragon points. Performance also seems greatly improved to me. Way, way less network latency than there used to be.

I've enjoyed myself enough the last two weeks I decided to preorder Reaper of Souls. I swore I was done with Blizzard products, and I still pretty much am. But the change in thinking over there was enough to get me to spend money, once again. D3 is never going to be perfect to me, it's always going to have parts I will simply never appreciate to the fullest. But in making the game not a fucking chore to play, they've allowed its best parts to show through. Plus, you know, obnoxious golden angel wings preorder reward.

Anyways, I'm not quite eating my hat. It's hard to when just about everything you thought sucked was thrown out along with that "fucking loser" Jay Wilson. It's nice to feel vindicated AND to have a game I can actually enjoy playing now. If any of that stuff above solves people's major problems with the game, I suggest revisiting it. It feels and plays more like D2 in terms of difficulty. Right now we've been doing Torment 1 and 2 and they're pretty managable with ~70k to ~100k character damage. Elites and their abilities will still gank the unwary, but now it feels like the game leaves enough room for people of skill to succeed.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:30:24 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 14, 2014, 09:29:32 am »

You actually get gear that is an upgrade while playing the game! Many of the FU-monster pack abilities like invulnerability are gone. Elites and Champions no longer one shot you like they started to do on Hell/Inferno difficulty of old. White mobs don't just steam roll you anymore. XP is fast, fast, fast. (Running about 500% bonus xp right now due to the event and my gear.) Lots of skills have been been better and less restrictive (Monk's Dashing Strike no longer requires a target to be used, so it actually functions as an escape ability now.) Lots of legendaries with interesting abilities that may not be amazing, but at least they're fun and cool. (Stuff happens when you open chests or pick up health globes, lots of nice passive abilities.) You're guaranteed at least 1 legendary drop if you play for 20 minutes each day. That's almost overkill IMO, but they're compensating for months and months and months of bullshit drops. Skills can basically be changed on the fly now, no going back to town. Nephalem Valor is gone. No more farming elites and shit so you can get a bonus to go do what you actually want. Now instead there are XP shrines that give you bonus XP for a certain amount, and you can keep adding to the total bonus XP you'll get by finding more shrines, and not dying. Paragon levels are now account-wide instead of by-character...so when you create a new toon, you can basically supercharge them at level 1 with all your available Paragon points. Performance also seems greatly improved to me. Way, way less network latency than there used to be

Where the freeken heck was this game years ago?

Hilariously terrible and nonsense plot and a lot smoother gameplay and I'd be set!

The HECK you had to go through in the last two difficulties was insane. Nightmare at the time was hard, REALLY hard, but you always appreciated the difficulty. Hell and Inferno not so much.

Does the game still suffer from excessive optimization? For example is cold explosion still useful much later? or is it a waste?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:32:13 am by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 14, 2014, 09:31:53 am »

Cold on my Wizard seems to be the bees knees now. The slow effect seems completely independent of the level of the character casting it, or that while monsters might resist the damage as you expect, they don't seem to resist the secondary effects.

So while we were power leveling my brand new wizard on Torment 1, his Frost Nova at like Level 10 was freezing Torment 1 enemies for the full duration.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 14, 2014, 09:33:09 am »

Cold on my Wizard seems to be the bees knees now. The slow effect seems completely independent of the level of the character casting it, or that while monsters might resist the damage as you expect, they don't seem to resist the secondary effects.

So while we were power leveling my brand new wizard on Torment 1, his Frost Nova at like Level 10 was freezing Torment 1 enemies for the full duration.

Thank GAWD! I hated how they outdated that move (I preferred it over teleport for example)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 14, 2014, 09:34:43 am »

The fact that people bought and played/play this game actually makes me lose faith in humanity a little.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 14, 2014, 09:37:06 am »

The fact that people bought and played/play this game actually makes me lose faith in humanity a little.

But where else do you find a game that turns a sympathetic and silent villain tortured by the loss of his son and the influence of diablo.

Into a cackling cartoonish villain?

MOST games have too much taste for that... and honestly this is probably the most well made "So bad it is good" plotline I ever experienced in a game that wasn't a COMPLETE chore to go through.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 14, 2014, 09:37:27 am »

BTW, the time it takes to powerlevel a character from 1 to 60 in Torment 1 is about 7 hours, give or take. Less if you're using Cain's set and an experience gem in your helm.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 14, 2014, 09:39:40 am »

I still don't know how I am the only one who finds the story of this game hilarious every step of the way.

The Plotholes, retcons, basic plot stupidity, terrible lines, terrible enemy designs, terrible plot decisions, and plot twist should have inspired a web series.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:51:30 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43