Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55886 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #300 on: August 18, 2011, 08:10:42 pm »

I'm amused that wanting to play a game we bought at any time equates to a sense of entitlement.

It's more the two or three people who were saying that they objected to DRM or gameplay mechanics of diablo 3 and therefore were entitled to pirate it and play it for free. (I don't even know what Realmfighter was arguing about, but it can't have been important, considering the way you were arguing about the way you were arguing instead of the actual argument)

You know Stardock sold it to Gamestop about 4 months ago right? Gamestop has no qualms about onerous copy protection.

When emails from Impulse started showing up labelled "Gamestop Impulse," I was a little disturbed. That's not to say that I don't occasionally buy games from Gamestop. I just preferred Impulse being owned by Stardock.

In any case, this is a screenshot of Impulse loading on my computer today:

And then the Stardock logo was replaced with a Gamestop logo, I thought "Noooooooo!," looked at my games list and noted that at least it wasn't downloading any onerous copy protection to the one game that I had installed through Impulse. I then resumed typing this post, only to have Gamestop Impulse pop up an ad and steal the keyboard focus, causing the ad to get opened automatically because I was typing. How rude.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 18, 2011, 08:13:32 pm »

I uninstalled Impulse. Those ads, every day, when I am in the middle of gaming full-screen, will auto-minimize it.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 18, 2011, 08:30:46 pm »

It's sort of sad, the more I've heard of Diablo3 or Battlefield3, the less I want to buy them, and I want to buy these games.

Now, I'm not going to say hurr durr boycott, but like CoD:MW2 and SC2 it's probably something that I just won't pick up because there's better things to do with my time than get DRM and shitty propietary software shoved down my throat.

^Roughly my feelings on this.

It kinda hurts because I REALLY, REALLY enjoyed BFBC2 for the console and I look at Battlefield 3 and now I have a computer that can run that with maximum graphics i'm practically drooling over the prospect.

Then they pulled the origin bullshit and all of a sudden, I can't buy it because i'm fed up of the trend where if we want a game, we need to have it online, tied to an account and using a service. RAWR

I'm ragey tonight. I should eat a ham sandvich.

mmmmmm, sandvich
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 19, 2011, 12:44:32 am »

Entertaining does not need to be so complex and in depth as everything is making it out to be. We can all enjoy something with out giving so much thought into it. DIablo III is a game. It is for fun. People are talking about Diablo III (and all game in general now a days) as if this was an in depth discussion of what job benefits we should have and which ones we should give up.

The only ONLY thing that anyone has ANY right to complain about is not being able to play while offline. That is the ONLY aspect of this game that will percent people from having fun in a direct aspect of simply not being able to play it.

In the end though, everyone is making such a big deal out of these issues because they really want Diablo III to be amazing and up to their expectations. Sad news. It wont be. Get the game to have fun. Do not get it expecting that your life is going to be swept away.

/endrant
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 19, 2011, 04:00:20 am »

Entertaining does not need to be so complex and in depth as everything is making it out to be. We can all enjoy something with out giving so much thought into it. DIablo III is a game. It is for fun. People are talking about Diablo III (and all game in general now a days) as if this was an in depth discussion of what job benefits we should have and which ones we should give up.

The only ONLY thing that anyone has ANY right to complain about is not being able to play while offline. That is the ONLY aspect of this game that will percent people from having fun in a direct aspect of simply not being able to play it.

You're saying I don't have a right to like the game less because I don't like the upcoming features? What kind of rationale is that?

In the end though, everyone is making such a big deal out of these issues because they really want Diablo III to be amazing and up to their expectations. Sad news. It wont be. Get the game to have fun. Do not get it expecting that your life is going to be swept away.

Or don't get it because it fails expectations enough for the money to not be worth purchasing it to you.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #305 on: August 19, 2011, 06:37:43 am »

I uninstalled Impulse. Those ads, every day, when I am in the middle of gaming full-screen, will auto-minimize it.
That was kinds of silly considering you can just turn off the ads.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 19, 2011, 07:41:34 am »

You shouldn't have to turn off ads - they shouldn't be so intrusive as to steal focus from other applications. With that sort of activity, I'd normally be running anti-malware programs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #307 on: August 19, 2011, 10:46:37 am »

You shouldn't have to turn off ads - they shouldn't be so intrusive as to steal focus from other applications. With that sort of activity, I'd normally be running anti-malware programs.
I agree that it's intrusive, but you can just turn them off. This is like saying "Well the light was too bright so I shut off power to the house."

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 19, 2011, 11:33:33 am »

I agree that it's intrusive, but you can just turn them off. This is like saying "Well the light was too bright so I shut off power to the house."

More like: "Well the light was too bright so I detonated a tactical nuke on it." :P
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 19, 2011, 12:26:34 pm »

It's the only way to be sure.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 19, 2011, 02:45:54 pm »

And if the software lets you easily turn the ads off, then obviously you aren't expected to put up with them if you don't want to. Don't complain about a problem when you can click a freaking button designed specifically to make the problem disappear.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #311 on: August 19, 2011, 02:50:57 pm »

Specifically, the ads pop up when you have the system tray app running called "ImpulseNow". Close that and set impulse not to run it and poof, no ads. :)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #312 on: August 19, 2011, 02:56:50 pm »

My problem with the always online thing is my internet connection drops out frequently enough for it to be annoying. Where I live I have at least 20 networks within range and no matter what I try they still seem to be interfering enough to occasionally kick me off my own goddamn network at random times. And because of where the modem is, an ethernet cable is impractical...

As for ads:
Personally I think if you're going to do ads in games, you should put them in the game as background details and update them via an internet connection whenever a user is connected.

Imagine it: You're running around the city of Prototype and see sign advertising an upcoming Superman vs Batman movie. You can then pick up the billboard and beat people to death with it and throw it at traffic! It's been done by the occasional game but usually seems to be for in-house adverts...

Heck, I've often wonder how possible it would be to at least cover the basic expenses (servers and the like) an MMORPG off this principle as an alternative/addition to the subscription or "Allegedly Free Game" set-ups running around...I could see it working very well in DC Universe Online, for example.

tl;dr - When is Torchlight 2 due again? Oh right, last month...fsucking deadline slippage...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:09:08 pm by MorleyDev »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 19, 2011, 04:55:40 pm »

I was wondering why I'd never had these ads interrupt me on Impulse. It's because I refused to let it run out of my system tray, the day I got it. Still, they could just do what Steam does, and only send the ad over once a game is shut down.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 19, 2011, 08:22:34 pm »

Playing Diablo 1 is reminding me of all the sweet things it had that Diablo 2 discontinued :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 43