Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter  (Read 19025 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2011, 09:14:12 pm »

I was looking on YouTube and found something called The Ringinator. It seems to be a tablesaw like thing that cuts rings REAL fast. If you can spare the cash it makes thing a lot easier.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2011, 12:44:36 pm »

Did they mention that "the cash" is like $2,000?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2011, 01:50:16 pm »

I believe you can build something like that with blocks of wood as guides and a dremel tool with a special saw attachment for more like 50-60 bucks... I've wanted to myself, but haven't had much luck finding said saw blades.  Want me to look up the plans?
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2011, 02:47:28 pm »

I've seen the plans for the wooden mockup, but the real Ringinator is expensive, mass-production stuff.  A dremel, 2x4 of wood, and a few screws will make a fair ring cutter.  Only issue is that most dremel cutting heads are meant to simply lop off pipe, not make clean cuts, so they're a bit abrasive, leaving rough edges, and are thick.  There's no readily available thin, smooth blades for dremels.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2011, 03:46:58 pm »

There are a few options, like these http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/ProductPage.aspx?assetname=337273&page=GRID&free_text|1262134508603=cut+off+wheels or this sort of thing http://www.amazon.com/1-25-High-Speed-Steel-Blade-Mandrel/dp/B000TBUMG2.

Haven't used them personally, but the ache in my wrist after cutting that last coil into rings is suggesting it might be a better plan.

Ah, here's a photo of that rig in action:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another set of ring-cutter plans
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:50:12 pm by CatalystParadox »
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2011, 08:36:57 pm »

Bright aluminum and bronze, 18g, 1/4" ID, Half Persian 4 in 1 alternating bronze and alum.  3/8" wide and ~7 and 1/2" long including clasp (depending on how you measure).

The pics don't show it very well, but it catches the light rather well and shines in bright alum and dulled, glowing bronze.  Thoughts?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2011, 08:41:16 pm »

Just a note to everyone here, check the speed of the drill before you use it, because I didn't and grabbed a drill that was used to drill concrete. I wound up with my index finger trapped between the coil and the mandrel. I hope you never learn how much it hurts.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2011, 08:42:29 pm »

Thoughts?
Just curious, how much would you estimate the materials cost for that whole bracelet? And about how long did it take to make?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2011, 08:48:28 pm »

On and off, probably an hour and a half, including the time to learn how HP4-1 works, then un-learning that and doing it my own way.  I could probably get one done in 45 minutes if I weren't distracted and really wanted to.  As for the cost, hmm... counting rings quickly and estimating off the site I bought it from, about a dollar, including the clasp.  Not including shipping though, which was killer from the Canadian company...  Aluminum and bronze are both rather cheap.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2011, 08:51:42 pm »

Pretty impressive, and I bet people would pay for them. It does look nice, though you need a better camera. :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2011, 08:56:18 pm »

I have a webcam (which is laughable to call a camera) and my camera phone (which is laughable to call a camera, and a phone.  It's not much of either) but my GOOD camera is a 35mm and the batteries are dead.  I'd need to get a new battery, one of those funky ones that no one sells, and get film developed/on disk.  I really should do that anyways though, I've got a nice camera and several lenses that would serve this perfectly, not to mention the knowledge to "cheat" a little with pictures.  Lower light and slower shutter speed to make it "shine" more, and such...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2011, 09:53:46 pm »

So, how long is it going to take you to make that dress? :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2011, 10:29:54 pm »

Days long, when/if I can get my hands on the aluminum.  I'll take donations on that, but um, please no cans.  Those ah, aren't too useful...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2011, 10:36:30 pm »

Get in touch with your inner dwarf! Melt those cans down and make some wire!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2011, 10:38:27 pm »

There is a perfectly shaped ring burned - nay, branded on my thumb.  My inner dwarf is screaming at me that I should NOT become a ‼dwarf‼  I cannot be trusted with fire.  I will, without exception, burn and maim myself.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13