Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Honeybee FREAKOUT + Archery!  (Read 3963 times)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Re: Honeybee FREAKOUT + Archery!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 04:02:18 am »

YOU! WILL! NEVER! DO! TERRIBLE! PUNS! GAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

This just screams to be sigged.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 12:41:27 pm »

if we can start making bee driven danger rooms, i may just build my first one.

I follow in my father's footsteps, and his father's before him, and their footsteps are like this;  AHHHHHHH I'M COVERED IN BEEEEEEES!! AHHHHHHH!

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »

I follow in my father's footsteps, and his father's before him, and their footsteps are like this;  AHHHHHHH I'M COVERED IN BEEEEEEES!! AHHHHHHH!

Didn't some manga do exactly this with cats?
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 03:07:12 pm »

Did the dwarf get a whole bunch of good thoughts from "throwing something lately"?
Throwing half the bees at the other half of the bees would be a great way to level up.
Darn, I should've checked before I abandoned!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 03:21:53 pm »

Didn't some manga do exactly this with cats?
Ranma 1/2 yes, though I don't doubt other manga stories had similar incidents.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 03:18:10 pm »

I just did a test where I forced a military dwarf to gather a colony of bees to take to a hive, then canceled the job by locking a door in front of the soldier.  The bees were released, but nothing happened.  This may require a tantrum to occur.  That will be difficult to arrange on demand.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 03:25:52 pm »

Here's the technical DF explanation:

Tantruming dwarves sometimes throw anything throwable near them. (verified behavior I have seen many times)
Your tantruming dwarf likely started chucking vermin (bees) at random - every bee he could get his hands on.
Throwing in this version levels up the generic ranged combat skill - archery
There was a lot of bees, and he was very pissed.
Level 6 archery.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 05:38:31 pm »

Tantruming dwarves sometimes throw anything throwable near them. (verified behavior I have seen many times)
Your tantruming dwarf likely started chucking vermin (bees) at random - every bee he could get his hands on.
Level 6 archery.

This makes the most sense, and assumes the least, being based off already observed DF phenomena. It would be completely confirmed, if only the dwarf in question had also gained skill advances in Throwing.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 01:56:35 am »

Level 6 archery.

It's slightly simpler. He didn't chuck bees at random, he chucked ALL the bees in one fell toss. Since the bees, while being transferred, count both as a single stack and separate entities, those were 16k instances of throwing in a single moment.

This would call for some arena/adventure mode testing, but I don't think there's anything besides bees that can be thrown in bunches.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

cue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 04:38:30 am »

And for a bit there I thought Sphalerite was back. :( Talk about a necro...

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 05:07:28 am »

So now everyone who plays Adventure mode is going to forget about throwing rocks and use Advfort to work on their beekeeping?

Will throwing a hive full of bees at Bandits cause them to freak out?

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 05:08:04 am »

Level 6 archery.
What kind of tantrum lasts long enough for that kind of throwing bonanza? VerdantSF didn't mention any Throwing skill increase, so I'm guessing the bees split from the hive during its initial throw, flight or landing. When they split, they counted as part of the dwarf's throw, but when they all landed they increased the Archery skill as individuals. So perhaps Throwing increases when you throw and Archery increases when it lands? Might be possible to test by chucking critters in Adv. Mode, since you can look at skills while the subject's still in the air, which is impossible (as far as I know) with items.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.
Pages: 1 [2]