Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552444 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #825 on: July 02, 2014, 10:04:25 am »

Intel still achieves highest performance rates for single threaded applications and AMD only shines very dimly when you are running something heavily threaded. Honestly the biggest difference is that AMDs are the equivalent to a space heater so if you want a cheap heater then there you go. Otherwise i5 is a good enough pick, i use an older model and had no problems with running any new games cause that all leads back to the GPU anyways. Only reason i might however consider an i7 is if i want to stream Twitch HD

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 04, 2014, 01:46:04 am »

The FX series aren't going to get you as much per-GHZ as the i5 or i7, and basically no games use 8 cores right now.

If you're not doing heavy video editing or the like, you're probably going to just be best off getting the i5. Really serious streaming, compiling etc might justify the extra cost of the i7 but you do not need that games. Most programs right now won't use the full power of the 8-core FX series, if you're big into video editing and your program does effectively utilize 8 cores, you might consider it, but the intels will be better for gaming.

Really, the i5 is all you need right now. The i7 is really fast though, so if you want to splurge it will get you a lot of longevity.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 04, 2014, 10:58:09 am »

Games aren't the only thing - this computer will also need to be able to handle the work I'm going to have to do for my engineering degree(s) (not sure what all it will entail, but it's probably going to be a bit more than a word processor). And besides - games really don't care about the CPU, in my experience - with an old AMD Athalon dual-core running at 3GHz, the computer I'm using now can run any game I care at maximum, because I have a decent graphics card (which I do intend to transfer to the new computer if I do not upgrade).

And while I'm familiar with AMD's ability to heat a room (I am making sure to invest in a good cooling system anyway), I'm trying to get the most powerful equipment I can while it still being of halfway decent quality and somewhat cheap - the total budget for this computer is >$1500, and to be honest, the FX chips are cheaper than the i5 chips, when the motherboard cost is taken into account - totalling $350 for the end-all-be-all FX I could get (and I can go about $70 cheaper), and $370 for a moderate-power (comparatively) i5.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:01:00 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 04, 2014, 11:23:07 am »

Remember, it's important to keep in mind that more than just the clock rate matters. The i5 should be noticeably faster than the FX, even though you are paying more. Also, chances are your engineering software WILL run better on the i5 than the FX, there's just nothing outside of a few specific video editing programs that uses the 8 cores effectively right now.

You should also keep an eye on the TDP, it may be that the intel processor saves you money on the PSU front. That said if you just want something cheaper it's not like the FX is going to disappoint. I recommend this guide when trying to find a cost-effective processor.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 04, 2014, 02:22:58 pm »

I'm not just looking at clock rate - I know at least enough not to do that. But it does look like the point of comparison within the chip families - the other points don't change as much in-family, at least not for the ones I'm looking at.

TDP is no issue - I ran into power problems when I got my graphics card to take over from an integrated chip - the sound of it whining and then dying wasn't fun. I (rather, my dad, who technically owns this computer, but not the current PSU (I hope he's saved the old one somewhere) or graphics card) ended up getting (my money, his choice of PSU) a 600W unit. Even with the most power-hungry chip that I'm looking at, I'd still be using less than half of my supply.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 07, 2014, 05:36:27 am »

Re: PSU:
I know I like to harp on about it, but PSU wattages are notoriously unreliable. You really want it to be rated as sustaining 600W and not peaking at 600W (which normally means sustaining 300W, which may be too weak). If it has an official 80+ efficiency rating sticker it will be fine (one of the requirements of an 80+ rating is >= 80% efficiency on a sustained 100% load), or if it's a decent brand, otherwise all bets are off.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 08, 2014, 04:32:44 am »

Yeah, just straight up never buy a non 80 Plus. Also, look at the 12 Volt Rail wattage (or the amperage of that rail multiplied by 12). It needs to exceed the sum of your GPU+CPU TDP. The wattage you see advertised on a PSU is the entire wattage, some of which is on the 5V rails and powers things like fans and disc drives.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #832 on: July 08, 2014, 04:40:27 am »

I forgot about this thread! Help here?

Also, I got me some compressed air, but why does it look like it sprays water? @_@

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 08, 2014, 09:34:21 am »

I've had that. I don't remember if it's supposed to be condensed water vapor or just the bitterant they put in the stuff, but if you spray it long enough you should see it just spraying air (but keep an eye on that, especially if the can starts to feel cold).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 08, 2014, 10:37:35 am »

From my experience, compressed air cans tend to get colder the more they're used at once.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 08, 2014, 01:42:37 pm »

The whole canned air thing getting colder and looking like water is because of the propellant that's used.  Note that if you turn the can upside down and spray it'll spray out an extremely cold substance.

Also on Skyrunner's question about PSU's being expensive, they're usually about a third or less of the cost of a newer, top end GPU. 

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 08, 2014, 04:32:44 pm »

625w psu for 70 bucks (in america). aAso for the air dusters, basically its like water vapor cause the gas is extremely cold enough to freeze the water in the air which gives you that white cloud. Be extremely careful if you are spraying a can upside down, instead of gas you get a liquid which will give you frostbite in seconds, i use it to flash freeze spiders in my room.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #837 on: July 08, 2014, 08:11:43 pm »

But if it sprays water is it ok to use near electronics?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 08, 2014, 08:14:36 pm »

People use it on electronics all the time.  Just don't flip it upside down and spray in small bursts, you should be fine.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 08, 2014, 09:54:46 pm »

But if it sprays water is it ok to use near electronics?
Very fine, vapor isn't going to fry your motherboard that fast, you're more likely to give it electrostatic discharge.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 350