Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552438 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #810 on: June 28, 2014, 07:58:15 pm »

Have you updated Flash? (and aren't blocking flash objects with some sort of plugin or activex)
Flash has been updated, problem existed both before and after update. As far as I can tell, it's not being blocked by anything, either.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 28, 2014, 08:07:16 pm »

I assume its with an updated IE too?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 28, 2014, 08:18:11 pm »

According to Microsoft's website, yes.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 01, 2014, 07:49:46 pm »

Bought a 3/8" splitter to try to use my shiny new headset from work (which I have no idea how or why I got, it just came in freight one day,) because it has a combo jack and my pc doesn't. Anyway, when I plug the splitter into the pc, and the headset into that, it makes a weird, loud, hypnotoad noise.

What did I do wrong?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 01, 2014, 07:56:02 pm »

... Uuuhh... It could be a combination of things, really.  Splitter is bad, drivers are bad for the headphones, if it's a USB plug-in it could be the drivers for the splitter are bad.  Another thing to think of is that most headsets are way louder than speakers, if you've got your computer sound set up really loud it could just be playing ambient sound.  To test that just open up a music video or something and see if it kills your cat sitting 20 feet away (please make sure headset is off of your head at this point).

If it persists, possibly get a different splitter?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 01, 2014, 08:01:48 pm »

All jacks are 3/8". It's an Xbox One headset. They work fine as headphones, but as soon as I plug in the mic portion, it goes bonkers.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 01, 2014, 08:08:29 pm »

Hrm.  Yeah that's weird.  Possibly feedback, I'd ask you to talk into the mic and see if it did anything.  It's possible your computer is on constant voice playback, though that's really hard to do and also extremely weird.  Could be that the mic portion is bad on the splitter.  It's really weird in general, and I can't really help you if I'm not sitting there looking at it, for this one.  If the headphones part works fine you should be able to go ahead and use it that way.

(Also, just as a side note, Xbox headsets have been really bad on call quality when people have used them.  Had a friend who used one for almost a year and it basically drove me up the wall every time I got on call with him.  Really annoying loud pitched buzzing sound all the time.  Proprietary things do weird stuff to computers when plugged in.)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 01, 2014, 08:48:59 pm »

Talking into the mic does nothing whatsoever. It may be on constant playback, after all, I use it as a guitar amp for Rocksmith, although my guitar isn't constantly amplified. It's only amped up when the game is running. I unplugged it to see if it was causing an issue, and there was no change.

(As for your side note, I can't complain about free stuff.)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 01, 2014, 09:28:49 pm »

OK mic+stereo headphones is 4 pins.  A  mic/headphone splitter is 2x3pins to 4pins, and the 2x3pins are different and marked which one is mic which is headphones - is that the kind of splitter you have?   The other kind of splitter is to let people use 2xheadphones to listen to the same thing - that kind won't work for what you want.

THe other thing is to check if the headset is compatible - I wasn't clear from your description, but doublecheck that it has a 4 pin output if it's supposed to be stereo headphones + mic.  If it's for a proprietary phone system, say, it may not use the same standards.

Ed to ad references:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3.5mm_audio_jack
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/connect-compatible-headset
I just went through this trying to get the right y cable to let me use audio headphones + a mic on a 2.5mm phone jack :p
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:33:43 pm by gimlet »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 01, 2014, 09:40:24 pm »

OK and what kind of y cable did you get?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 01, 2014, 09:41:47 pm »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 01, 2014, 09:50:03 pm »

Yea that looks like it just duplicates the stereo connectors.   I think you need one that specifically splits out the mic and stereo - like this one (I THINK): http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-MUYHSFMM-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B0058DOWH6/

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: July 01, 2014, 09:55:18 pm »

That's what I was afraid of. I'll take this one back and wait for shipping, I guess. Thanks.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: July 02, 2014, 02:14:11 am »

So I know I've posted in these threads before (though a search doesn't turn me up on this one). But right now, I have specific troubles based around choosing parts for a computer I want to build, mostly from 3 different people saying I should do 3 different things (though I suspect that the one guy who might know best for me is someone I haven't asked - and I'm actually talking about a specific guy, much like that sentence sounds like I'm not).

The issue revolves around the CPU. At first, I was considering an AMD FX series - 8-core processors (note - only 4 L2 chaches - the second guy said they're basically half-sized compared to other cores), and would probably get one with at least 4GHz. This was encouraged by a friend who happens to own one and loves it. Then Kriellya told me that with what they knew, it's roughly equivalent to an Intel i7 core that's hyperthreaded, and that the i7 is going to be more efficient with non-multicore capable programs. Then a guy I know personally who's also fairly knowledgeable about these things told me that I would be wasting money (and computing power) going with an i7, and recommended an i5 (and use money saved to possibly upgrade my graphics card up from a 560Ti to something with a bit more punch (though this card's been running everything I want at max anyway)).

I want to build a computer that will hopefully last a long time - and by last, I mean perform with gratuitous power. Any help?

And, cost-wise, I'm looking at the following:
AMD FX-Series: $170-200, possibly $270 if I want to go up to 4.7GHz (depends on the cost once I have everything else sorted, as does things like a new graphics card)
Intel i7: $320 (which nets 3.7GHz)
Intel i5: $250 (3.4GHz)

This does not include motherboard costs, which are somewhat more for Intel chips, such that I can find.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:18:01 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 350