Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553704 times)

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2012, 09:15:29 am »

I think a lot of things will need reinstalled as a load of config stuff is usually written to the registry.
If it's just Windows 7 again then wont all the roots to the registry stay the same?

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2012, 10:03:34 am »

I think a lot of things will need reinstalled as a load of config stuff is usually written to the registry.
If it's just Windows 7 again then wont all the roots to the registry stay the same?

No as the configs and hives and etc etc will be in the old registry on the old drive/install. You cant cut n shut 2 registry together really and just copying over the new one with the old will break the windows install.

Some simple things will keep on working but most things wont.

Steam game installs is one thing i think you can recover/check integrity without having to redownload everything.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:08:16 am by foil »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2012, 10:17:10 am »

If I reinstall Windows 7 on an ssd, do I need to reinstall all of my programs? Or would I just be able to copy the stuff from program files on the old drive to program files on the new drive? I'm thinking I'll have to reinstall everything but I thought I should ask before I went through the work.
You should be able to copy it all across - think of it (in the most unethical way possible) as torrenting a file/folder; it's basically just copying it from the server to the client.  When I replaced my super-dodgy Windows XP install with a Windows 7 and copied it (and all the programs) across to a new HDD, everything worked fine.  You may want to defrag the SSD afterwards though because big moving can throw files all over the place, and that can slow things down a l o t. 
You need to reinstall the OS unfortunately, SSDs require TRIM command from windows 7 and i know thats not installed automatically, also you need to switch your SATA controller to either AHCI or RAID mode to utilize all of the SSD functions. Also, NEVER EVER DEFRAG SSDs, they are suppose to do that internally.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2012, 10:38:20 am »

If I reinstall Windows 7 on an ssd, do I need to reinstall all of my programs? Or would I just be able to copy the stuff from program files on the old drive to program files on the new drive? I'm thinking I'll have to reinstall everything but I thought I should ask before I went through the work.
You should be able to copy it all across - think of it (in the most unethical way possible) as torrenting a file/folder; it's basically just copying it from the server to the client.  When I replaced my super-dodgy Windows XP install with a Windows 7 and copied it (and all the programs) across to a new HDD, everything worked fine.  You may want to defrag the SSD afterwards though because big moving can throw files all over the place, and that can slow things down a l o t. 
Also, NEVER EVER DEFRAG SSDs, they are suppose to do that internally.
Really?  Oops :P  But surely defragging it wouldn't do it any harm? 

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2012, 10:42:12 am »

Also, NEVER EVER DEFRAG SSDs, they are suppose to do that internally.
Really?  Oops :P  But surely defragging it wouldn't do it any harm? 
Well you will eat up the write cycles and Windows is stupid doing defrags. flash memory is very finicky, their memory controllers really do alot of work to maintain the block for example Garbage Collecting (deleting partial blocks and refilling them with other partial blocks to make a full one), what you see on that monitor isn't really the true story of the SSD :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2012, 12:55:54 pm »

While playing on my sister's netbook before Christmas, I was able to connect to an unsecured router that my main PC's worthless wireless connector can't detect. The netbook was (mostly) able to reach the network even from my computer desk. So, should I buy a new(with much better range) wireless device for my PC?

Also, any reccomondations for the $40 and under range for this?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2012, 01:32:32 pm »

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1470389&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CMCw9uXdvbQCFYp_Qgodhz8A3w
its small but it will work with all of the latest technology and its Buffalo and they are a really good company.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2012, 12:02:45 am »

Is there ANY possible way to install a new graphics card on my laptop? (Inspiron N5010.  The default one does not work well)  I would get a regular PC, but the only way I can download anything of subsistence is by going into town to download it someplace. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2012, 01:37:09 am »

for that model? no. It does not have the mxm slot needed for graphics card and Dell's bios wouldnt even allow a 3rd party addon anyways. Sorry.
If i were you, save up some money and get the new AMD laptops, its not a big jump in processing speed but its graphics are good for the price.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2013, 06:07:41 am »

Can anyone suggest a good Voice over IP phone service for a landline?  I've looked at three options: Voipfone, Vonage and Voiptalk, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience and could give me a more educated opinion?  THANKS! 

Vespulan.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2013, 11:43:50 am »

Okay, something's really irking me.

There's a stupid .wav file, that for some reason corrupted itself out of its brains and now I can't delete it.

If I try to delete the file directly, it just loops on "Preparing to Delete" or something like that, but never does. Explorer tries to analyze the file and fails, and thus never carries out the whole deletion thing.

If I try to delete the folder containing it, it says that one of the files is currently in use with another program, but I tried checking task manager and found nothing.

Can't rename or move it even. It's dead weight.

Tried virus scanners and chkdsk, all to no avail. Also on Windows 7.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2013, 11:51:51 am »

Have you tried killing it with other programs besides Explorer?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2013, 12:05:18 pm »

Have you restarted since it popped up?  If you turn the computer off it'll make sure the program is killed if anything is still using it. 

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2013, 01:16:04 pm »

Can anyone suggest a good Voice over IP phone service for a landline?  I've looked at three options: Voipfone, Vonage and Voiptalk, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience and could give me a more educated opinion?  THANKS! 

Vespulan.
Magicjack, sounds weird but it works man.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2013, 09:14:20 pm »

Have you tried killing it with other programs besides Explorer?

Downloaded a file shredder to take care of it. Didn't work; the thing just broke itself and crashed.

Have you restarted since it popped up?  If you turn the computer off it'll make sure the program is killed if anything is still using it. 

Yeah, and nothing happened unfortunately. This is what's making me feel odd about it, since usually, these files just fix themselves after a reboot.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 350