Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553718 times)

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 04:42:33 pm »

So, if what I'm reading around is correct, PCIE 3 has effectively double the bandwidth that PCIE 2 offers. So does that mean a 384 bit PCIE 2 card has the same bandwidth as a 192 bit PCIE 3 card?
In theory they would have very similar bandwidths, yes, but there are also loads of other factors that change it.  For instance, PCIe 3 can throw a lot more information at a GPU than PCIe 2 in half the time because it has more connectors, which will make it a lot faster. 

As to the mobo question, it just seems that AMD are treating their motherboards like their drivers (i.e. not updating them at all).

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 01:41:41 am »

In reality PCIE 3.0 doesn't add much for graphics card. We are barely using the x16 lanes and we don't see any throttling until we start doing either triple crossfire/sli or you are doing supercomputer stuff.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 02:55:14 am »

Yo!  Round 2 question:  SSD or not?
Storage capacity is not a big deal for me so 128Gb is enough.  Also I want a generally faster experience than at present so I'm leaning towards an SSD, but it is a tad expensive.  Anyone have one?  In your experience (not theory!) - worth it?  Dramatic difference to load times, or not so great?  Better battery life?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2012, 09:35:11 am »

its insanely fast, if you ever want a 5 second bootup this is the device. Since theres no moving parts the ssd does save quite a bit of power compared to HDD plus its alot more resilient from dropping. For the downsides theres a couple of things, for one thing you are required to have the TRIM command built into your OS in order for reliable data management, you will have to do a complete OS install instead of moving a mirror copy, and as for the lifetime its still speculated to fail before the HDD does.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2012, 11:44:58 am »

Don't SSD's have a limited amount of re-writes?  I know its nearly an unlimited amount, but I still wouldn't trust having my OS on an SSD.  Maybe for RAM intensive games, though :P

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2012, 12:09:35 pm »

Don't SSD's have a limited amount of re-writes?  I know its nearly an unlimited amount, but I still wouldn't trust having my OS on an SSD.
To actually hit the rewrite limit, you need to do A LOT of writes. SSD use memory managers that distributes rewrites over all memory cells. Basically it means that if you have your average 128GB SSD, your OS needs to be rewriting data constantly for like 5 or 6 years. So SSD is more than safe for a OS, considering ordinary HDDs usually don't last as long.

Maybe for RAM intensive games, though :P
Games that do a lot of harddisk operations will benefit from a SSD. So games like minecraft and the like.
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2012, 02:10:47 pm »

Right -here's another question I've failed to get a straight answer over.  I'm planning to upgrade my RAM from 2x2GB to 2x8GB (I have a micro-mobo).  The new RAM has 1600MHz and the old stuff only had 1333MHz.  Is there any danger with increasing the speed by that much, or won't it really matter? 

Thanks!  Vespulan

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012, 02:12:13 pm »

Are you planning to use both, or just the new 2x8gbs?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2012, 02:13:46 pm »

Just the new ones, I only have two slots on my mobo.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2012, 08:33:13 pm »

Just the new ones, I only have two slots on my mobo.
i don't much about underclocking memory but it might be fine, at worse the computer will just not turn on, you need to check to see if the memory speed is supported by the motherboard.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2012, 08:16:01 am »

Okay, ANOTHER question from Vespulan (and this might be the wrong thread to ask, but bare with me):  I recently got Vegas Six 2 and was keenly intent on trying to play co-op online with a friend.  However, they can't connect to my server but we can both connect to other people's.  Now I looked around for the ports I need and got about 15 different options to try, none of which have tried so far (and seeing as my router only lets me forward 20 ports, it's getting a bit hectic).  So I was hoping that someone would be able to give me a straight answer as to what I actually need to do? 

Thanks again!  Vespulan

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2012, 10:05:58 am »

Have you checked pcgamingwiki? They're pretty good at fixing game problems.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2012, 12:34:20 pm »

Have you checked pcgamingwiki? They're pretty good at fixing game problems.
No such luck.  I'm really just hoping someone can tell me the exact ports I need to forward?  Thanks for the link though - I don't believe I've never heard of that sire before :D

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2012, 03:03:57 pm »

I'm thinking about buying a graphics card with the $50 I just got but I doubt I can finally run Assassin's Creed II and Grand Theft Auto IV without dishing out a good amount more than $50. Is it possible?
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2012, 05:49:05 pm »

I'm thinking about buying a graphics card with the $50 I just got but I doubt I can finally run Assassin's Creed II and Grand Theft Auto IV without dishing out a good amount more than $50. Is it possible?
depends, what resolution are you running them on?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 350