Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 550471 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #5115 on: August 22, 2023, 08:20:42 pm »

Ended up stripping one of the screws to the controller, so I can't even open it up to check what repair I need to do or even if I can make the repair or not. That's not quite true, I can partially open it up around the docking connector, and see as far as the battery connections, but I don't see anything particularly out of place from the limited view I have. It's not impossible to drill through the bad screw, but I don't know how I'd keep the controller casing from coming apart at that corner which is next to the release button - and it is a limited edition controller skin.

Have you tried a screw extractor bit?  Might be worth the $10 if it's a valuable limited edition skin.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: August 23, 2023, 12:26:30 pm »

Can someone explain the differences in NoScript and UBlock to me?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: August 23, 2023, 12:40:41 pm »

They target different things. NoScript prevents websites from running scripts (which are basically little programs executed by your browser), while uBlock blocks media elements. There's some overlap, of course, but the thrust of their targeting is not the same.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: August 23, 2023, 07:20:23 pm »

While moving files from my computer to a USB drive - if the files are large, usually the process hangs forever. I've heard this is a common gnome issue (we're talking about 4+gb files).

I have gotten around it by just opening the console and using mv (file) (usb drive).

Why does this work and the graphical interface doesn't? What is the file manager doing that I am bypassing?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: August 24, 2023, 04:30:41 am »

It'll depend on the OS (or particular file-manager subsystem invoked), but I'd hazard a guess that it's doing some parallel, or even preparatory, 'housework' on the file(s) involved in the intended move, which the CLI equivalent command avoids or just does as-and-when, much more smoothly. (Or, if it fails, fails differently.)

Spoiler: Waffle (click to show/hide)

...that's not to ignore the possibility of any AV (or similar) process deciding to real-time scan the data during/before it is getting passed around, which might mean unpacking compressed files (at least enough to identify the scan-worthy raw files that might be contained with). But that adds yet another 'personality' to try to psychoanalyse within the computationally composite 'mind'.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: September 04, 2023, 05:18:27 am »

Ok, a quick question from me, looking for some Cliff Notes to fill in a known gap in my knowledge.

(TL;DR; ...anything to avoid? Like "mobile" versions of Windows, or wifi cards that are basically obsolete, or particularly bad brands that use flimsy cases, or seemingly clever keyboard/screen layouts that are no more than a confusing gimmick... Sorry, it's a bit open-ended, I know, but I don't yet know what wide range of surprises (for good or ill) I might stumble across, let alone find myself(/ourselves) committed to.)

ETA: - ok, having now Spoilered the initial long explanation, I've done some basic practical research, and it looks like it'd be nice (and sufficient) to have the kind of lowish-end laptop that currently comes with 250Gb SSD as standard, but then re-equip it with larger (maybe 1Tb, but at least 500Gb) replacement. The habitual 128Gb-inclusive models might well do, too, but I've a sneaking suspicion that I'd be unfutureproofing myself (or the intended user's self, mostly) a little bit too much. The models that come supplied already with the half-/full-terrabyte tend to be overkill in all other respects of spec and ending up two, three or four times the cost of what I think I should recommend to achieve from a migrated-drive scenario. Though I'd have to be sure I'm not hitting proprietry barriers in then discovering that I can't even easily get a Tb drive/disk-on-a-chip replacement, or easily clone/reinstall the OS between the two, which might be very much dependant upon the brand-manufacturer involved.

But I'm reluctant to advise a 'bog standard' quarter-terabytes machine with (as a space-extender) external-HDD to hold the potential additional terabytes. I was already going to suggest one of those as a backup (ironically, the portable drive being less 'port'ed and more kept somewhere safe when not in use), and it might complicate matters to have another just to save the one-time hassle of upgrading.

(If it were for me, and I had the ready disposable cash to splash around, I might even have three identical extHDDs and cycle them periodically for an effective Grandfather/Father/Son backup system. Well, I'd plan it that way, but probably just end up expanding all my data to completely fill all the storage space with totally non-redundancy of storage and end up with absolutely no disaster-mitigation at all... ;) )

And that's before I start looking at other component/peripheral limitations, still. I repeat my assertion that laptops are actually far more awkward (and expensive) than any desktop equivalent. In all aspects other than actual portability!

« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 09:28:03 am by Starver »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: September 19, 2023, 08:06:48 pm »

What is the file manager doing that I am bypassing?

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say it's the Gio (GNOME Input/Output) abstraction layer GNOME uses instead of plain POSIX syscalls.

~snip!~

I'll answer what I know:
  • Windows 10/11 don't really have crappified versions anymore like the Vista and 7 era had-- even the "S" editions (where you can only run Microsoft Store programs) can be unlocked with some officially-sanctioned hassle.
  • Storage speed matters a lot more now. Do not even attempt current Windows on a spinning rust disk.
  • Processors are living longer usable lives, definitely. I'd say 12th Gen Intel is where Intel really improved on power efficiency, if you care about that.
  • If you're buying a used laptop, please check its GPU's hardware video decode capabilities, or you might find yourself losing battery pretty fast from software decode. For VP9 decode (i.e. the format YouTube really wants you to watch in; they don't serve >1080p H.264), that's ≥Skylake on the Intel side and all Ryzens on the AMD side.
  • Yeah, I can't think of anything new that has a VGA port now. It's dongles all the way down. You might even get to enjoy the fresh hell of USB-C dongles!
  • Be wary of laptops that have soldered RAM and soldered disks if you want to buy a low-end laptop and want to expand it later. In particular, if you see "eMMC": don't. It *sucks* and is slower than any competent NVMe or SATA drive in addition to being soldered straight to the board.
  • Larger laptops tend to come with more expandability (HDMI, empty SATA slot), though I'm speaking from my experience of having a "gaming laptop".
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 08:45:24 pm by methylatedspirit »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: September 19, 2023, 10:48:57 pm »

~snip!~

I'll answer what I know:
~~also snip!~~
Appreciated. I'd added a few more updates to my own research, since then (and the updated 'summary' of my thinking), but some good additional points there.

Also an excuse to post an update to what I think I mentioned here about a year ago about Android Chrome and tab-groups going strange then just plain flattening out...
An update that happened in the last week or so reintroduced tab-groups (at least for me, with possible legacy config settings that might have become active again). As I'd effectively reflattened everything useful to me (to re-sort the 'tab order', when it shuffled everything and gave me no drag-to-reorder ability any more), I only noticed it for one small group of related tabs where I'm sure I did "open link in new tab in group" off a base page during the era that this was indistinguishable from "open link in new tab" by result.

But tab-groups don't crash on trying to re-enter them (and have their own horizontal mini-selector to switch within, as before). So some fork of the disappearing functionality may have been restored. Yet to exhaustively test all original half-remembered use cases, but trivially seems to be back.

(Of course, it completely re-ordered my current set of habitual tabs (and brought the tab-group to the top of the tab-list, but that might be coincidence) again, with no obvious reason - or ability to manually reposition them - but not so badly as to pursuade me to close them and re-open-as-new to shuffle them exactly like I had them, again. But the world is often far from perfect, so...)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: September 28, 2023, 05:41:59 am »

Very specific issue I'm having.

I'm running a cheapo NAS in the form of OpenMediaVault on a Raspberry Pi 4, using two USB hard drives for storage. The primary purpose of this is to share (not stream) media to multiple devices running Kodi, and I'm running Jellyfin to act as a central library for metadata and images instead of having each Kodi instance generate its own local library. These drives are formatted in ext4 and are designated /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 in OMV.

This works perfectly... for media on sda1. sdb1 is perfectly accessible via SMB share and works perfectly fine if I direct-connect Kodi to it, but that runs into the "multiple copies of the library, including on devices with rather limited internal storage space" problem. Jellyfin refuses to look at sdb1.

I know that there's theoretically a way I could create a folder linking to sdb1 on sda1, but that's an inelegant kludge, and I'd prefer it to just work. I don't know if it is some kind of strange permissions issue, or a limitation of the software.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: September 30, 2023, 12:43:34 am »

If a symbolic link is too kludgy, consider just mounting /dev/sdb1  someplace inside /dev/sda1's folder structure with the /etc/fstab entry.

It sounds like jellyfin is just being dumb about the media library location, and does not like having 2 discrete libraries.  Mounting sbd1 as a child of sda1 should resolve, even if that is inelegant.

EG, your /etc/fstab may look something like this:

/dev/mmcblk0p1     /      EXT4   defaults 0  0
/dev/sda1    /home/pi/somepath  EXT4  defaults 0  0
/dev/sdb1    /home/pi/somepath/somedeeperfolder  EXT4  defaults 0  0

The symbolic link method would be something like this:

[/etc/fstab]
/dev/mmcblk0p1   /   EXT4  defaults  0  0
/dev/sda1    /home/pi/somepath  EXT4  defaults 0  0
/dev/sdb1    /home/pi/someotherpath  EXT4  defaults 0  0

with a symbolic link inside /home/pi/somepath (named somefoldername) pointing at /home/pi/someotherpath:

ln -s /home/pi/someotherpath /home/pi/somepath/somefoldername

I am reading that "In Theory" Jellyfin permits multiple library locations to be defined, but that this has also been historically known in prior versions to cause anomalous behaviors.  You might be encountering such an anomalous behavior.

I'd collect as much data as possible, file a bug report in their github, then implement the inelegant solution of my choosing from above (probably mountpoint, it's less complicated) and get on with my life until they fix it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 12:54:27 am by wierd »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: September 30, 2023, 02:53:54 am »

That would be a pretty sensible solution, but I don't know if OMV will let me do that without borking something.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: October 03, 2023, 02:40:33 am »

I was messing with my ram sticks and end up burning my desktop's motherboard yesterday. As far as I know the damage was contained to just the ram slots and the old rams. Despite my CPU's age (i5-6500), I did manage to find a new motherboard but, while I wait for it to arrive, I feel like I have to prepare for the event that it won't work.

It's been almost 7 years since I last built a pc so I haven't really kept up with new developments, do you have any suggestions for a newer cpu+mobo? As far as requirements are concerned, the only hard ones are that they need to have integrated graphics and have at least comparable if not better performance.

From a quick search the following CPUs are within my price range:

Ryzen 5 3400G      i5 10400
Ryzen 5 4600G      i5 10600
Ryzen 5 5600G      i5 11400
Ryzen 7 5700G      i5 12400
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: October 03, 2023, 03:03:20 am »

It's been almost 7 years since I last built a pc so I haven't really kept up with new developments, do you have any suggestions for a newer cpu+mobo? As far as requirements are concerned, the only hard ones are that they need to have integrated graphics and have at least comparable if not better performance.

From a quick search the following CPUs are within my price range:

Ryzen 5 3400G      i5 10400
Ryzen 5 4600G      i5 10600
Ryzen 5 5600G      i5 11400
Ryzen 7 5700G      i5 12400

As far as Intel CPUs are concerned, there has been a big jump in performance with each newer processor generation, so the i5 12400 would be my choice of that bunch (12th generation).  The letters after the model number indicate stuff too:  F means no integrated graphics, K means it's unlocked for overclocking.  AMD also has demonstrated a significant generation over generation improvement, so the 5xxxx series would be my choice of that bunch too.

If you are able to cough up an extra $200 or so on the Mobo/CPU, you could get onto the AM5 socket for AMD CPUs and have some better future proofing for upgrades.

For motherboards, I'd look for 1 with a M.2 compatible PCIe 4.0 slot for a SSD.  You'll see the biggest gains in speed that way.  PCIe 5.0 is overkill, SSDs can't utilize the bandwidth on that yet.  PCIe 3.0 will certainly bottleneck your speeds with a newer SSD, as data flows from your hard drive to your RAM to the CPU through that M.2 PCIe connection.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: October 03, 2023, 05:51:04 am »

...update on laptop situation. We got something that seems to work nicely (and I've got my eyes on my own next one[1]). Spent a week or so actually wrestling with Win11. Lost a bit of work in some document being edited when the machine restarted for an update as it was left sat idle for a couple of hours (there'd been a "we want you to restart", and a prompt, but we'd told it No, Not Yet, which apparently is even less taking notice of than in prior Wins, and it definitely looked like "We'll ask you again in 24 hours or more", not "the moment your back is turned").

Got rid of all the desktop/taskbar widgets (don't want news/weather, etc, certainly not by default!), shifted the Start button to the left, worked out how the Taskbar as a whole actually currently works ("Pin (an installed application) to Start", "Pin (a Start-pinned application) to Taskbar", anything shortcutted on Desktop can be drag-copied to also be a Shortcut on the Taskbar if it has no Pin-route available, the Taskbar is a mix of Pinned and Running (maybe already Pinned) items, but it's easier for me to Windows-Run "cmd" than to open up a second Command Prompt by right-clicking on an already pinned+running Command Prompt) , made Systray items that we want to be actually shown (like Safe Removal Of Media, which really shouldn't hide away when needed...) be shown, etc.

Getting used to all these niggles. though. Gradually removing the "Do you want to play Age Of Empires?"-type notifications turned off, as we encounter them. (Manufacturer sponsored... thingy... trying to work out if I can or should turn off the whole manufacturer framework thing that is offering these things, or if it's perhaps useful to retain for actual vital updates/info. I obviously have avoided all this fuss in the past when building desktops from scratch with a raw OEM licence, except for the occasional issue with video card drivers coming with 'helper'-software that has pesterware eleements to it, but no such option to bypass all this in this case.)

Right this moment, most dissapointed with Notepad.
Spoiler: Grumble about Notepad (click to show/hide)

But I'm sure it's all just one of the 'joys' of just not trying to fix things that aren't broken (at my end) clashing with an apparent culture of always trying to fix things (at the other end), whether or not they were/become broken! Basic grumble over.

[1] Was going to settle on an i5, 0.5Tb, 8Gb model, but there's I saw this i7, 1TB 16Gb that's not terribly much more expensive, so...

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: October 03, 2023, 11:39:27 am »

As far as Intel CPUs are concerned, there has been a big jump in performance with each newer processor generation, so the i5 12400 would be my choice of that bunch (12th generation).  The letters after the model number indicate stuff too:  F means no integrated graphics, K means it's unlocked for overclocking.  AMD also has demonstrated a significant generation over generation improvement, so the 5xxxx series would be my choice of that bunch too.

If you are able to cough up an extra $200 or so on the Mobo/CPU, you could get onto the AM5 socket for AMD CPUs and have some better future proofing for upgrades.

For motherboards, I'd look for 1 with a M.2 compatible PCIe 4.0 slot for a SSD.  You'll see the biggest gains in speed that way.  PCIe 5.0 is overkill, SSDs can't utilize the bandwidth on that yet.  PCIe 3.0 will certainly bottleneck your speeds with a newer SSD, as data flows from your hard drive to your RAM to the CPU through that M.2 PCIe connection.

Thanks for the advice. Looking further into it, the 5600G is probably my best choice. From what I've read, it's better or equal to all but the 5700G and the 12400 and it's significantly cheaper than both. The 5700G might be worth it for the better graphics performance though the extra cost might be better spent for other stuff, depending on what can be salvaged from my old pc.

The 12400 already feels like an overkill for my needs so I doubt I'll need to upgrade to any of the newer AM5 cpus any time soon and in similar fashion to my current set up, by that time they'll probably be obsolete as well.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 350