Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 550517 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #5085 on: August 02, 2023, 09:09:38 pm »

Each wireless device gets dmesg output that is unique to its interface name.

In the case of your intel integrated wifi chip, the name for its interface is 'wlo1'

If there are issues bringing the interface up, they will show up with that designator.

If you need to direct the output for easy collection, you can use this:

sudo "dmesg |grep wlo1" > /somepath/sometextfile.txt

This will create a text file at the location specified, with the name specified.  The output of the dmesg query will get put in there for easy sharing.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: August 03, 2023, 07:34:08 am »

I tried inputting that command, but got told “command not found”.

Also, for some reason my usb wifi adapter has stopped working, meaning my computer once again has no internet. I’ve tried plugging my wifi adapter into different usb ports on my laptop and that didn’t seem to help either.

Tried looking for iwlwifi, and in the output, noticed some lines reading “Failed to start RT ucode -110.
The line after that reads “WRT: Collecting data: ini trigger 13 fired (delay=0ms).
Then it says “Failed to run INIT ucode: -110”.

Then all the output appears to repeat twice, stopping when it says “retry init count 2”.

Edit:
Found a convo on Stackexchange (https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/334894/iwlwifi-failed-to-start-init-ucode-110) that suggests disabling power management. Should I give it a try?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 08:05:34 am by AzyWng »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: August 03, 2023, 08:44:52 am »

I tried inputting that command, but got told “command not found”.
Strange. You've essentially done the same commands before. e.g. sudo dmesg|grep Bluetooth

To deconstruct sudo "dmesg |grep wlo1" > /somepath/sometextfile.txt you should have:
sudo gives you access to do (run) the given command under the su (superuser) access. (Or any other "substitute user" you can justify access to, to be correct, but superuser is the default substitute, so it's often thought of as that...)
sudo dmesg gets you access to all diagnostic messages (many that you don't want). You could run this on its own to get a mountain of (mostly) useless info, to test you've got this working. Except that we know this works.
sudo dmesg | grep FOO (optional spaces around ths pipe symbol, here for clarity only) takes the huge output and filters (with Global Regular Expression search and Print!) to show only lines with FOO in them. We know this works Ok, too.
sudo "dmesg | grep FOO" puts the pipe-and-grep as part of the superuser-doing, and I can't imagine that the su environment doesn't have access to grep, internally. (Especially as it should pass for use the relevent bits of Environment of your own shell, etc.) But perhaps try this smaller, but quoted, command (on some FOO that isn't too onerous) to check that this isn't the point of failure.
sudo "dmesg | grep FOO" > /filepath/etc/blah.de.blah is redirecting the output (that sudo produces from both dmesg and piped-grep) to a file blah.de.blah (at that /filepath/etc location). This can fail if the filepath doesn't exist(/can't be written to) or the file there is unwritable-to for some reason, but it won't be a "command not found".

(Well, it can in some situations of block device 'files', perhaps symbollically-linked to, but I doubt that's true here. Check by using echo Test text > /filepath/etc/blah.de.blah (you are of course substituting for valid filepath+file, all along) to rule out this particular unlikely strangeness..)

I can't immediately think of a reason why sudo dmesg | grep FOO > /filepath/etc/blah.de.blah would not work (sudo just the dmesg, pipe that output through the grep (outside of sudo) and then further push that output to the file). We know that non-sudoed grep works (even if we're unsure about sudoed grep being valid), so it should pipe nicely enough. But I've not got a *nix shell at hand, so this is just from memory. And deduction about how your environment works, which could be different from my expectations (even if I'm not mistaken in my own cases).

...this is more an opportunity to inform you(/people in general) of the potential beauty and utility of the command-line, for which you may already understand some of this anyway. And with the possibility of my own misassumptions/misrecollections being highlighted, because I can't be 100% sure I'm right on this, not without hands on (an appropriate) keyboard to double-check with dry runs of my own. ;)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: August 03, 2023, 09:22:04 am »

Interesting to know, though… I’m a little more itching for help with the wifi connection issue. What would you suggest I do? I could try the power management suggestion I mentioned in my last post, but I’m not sure it would actually work, or if it wouldn’t mess ip something else.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: August 03, 2023, 10:07:29 am »

Odd. Apprently the quotes DID screw it up.

I just wanted to make sure the pipe did not have anomalous behavior by using quotes to control command expression, but apparently sudo is real dumb.
I entered it myself on my own console, and sure enough, it insists command not found.

Do it wouthout the quotes.
I have tested that, and it works as expected.

sudo dmesg |grep wlo1 > /somepath/somefile.txt

(I just dont like the idea of using a pipe AND output redirection, without some kind of logical control for sanity reasons)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 10:09:27 am by wierd »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: August 03, 2023, 10:30:24 am »

Quote from: Output of sudo dmesg|grep wlo1
[    7.596781] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3 wlo1: renamed from wlan0
[   11.347206] wlo1: authenticate with 4c:19:5d:50:b4:e6
[   11.353546] wlo1: send auth to 4c:19:5d:50:b4:e6 (try 1/3)
[   11.409683] wlo1: authenticated
[   11.414543] wlo1: associate with 4c:19:5d:50:b4:e6 (try 1/3)
[   11.416100] wlo1: RX AssocResp from 4c:19:5d:50:b4:e6 (capab=0x1011 status=0 aid=19)
[   11.422999] wlo1: associated
[   11.559626] wlo1: Limiting TX power to 24 (24 - 0) dBm as advertised by 4c:19:5d:50:b4:e6
[   11.583436] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlo1: link becomes ready

Somehow the wifi is working again on my laptop, and I'm not sure why.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: August 03, 2023, 02:42:03 pm »

Somehow the wifi is working again on my laptop, and I'm not sure why.

Could be a failing USB adapter?  Overheating causing it stop, then after a while, it cooled down enough to work again?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: August 03, 2023, 03:42:26 pm »

Maybe. But if that’s the case, I’m not sure what I should do to fix that/keep it from becoming an issue when gaming or doing big downloads or smth.

I suppose I could try turning the computer off for a time to let it cooldown, but that seems like a suboptimal solution.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: August 04, 2023, 04:28:45 am »

If it's a USB adapter, you wouldn't have to turn off the computer, just unplug the adapter.  Maybe touch it from time to time and see if it is really a heat issue.  It could be something else.  A fan blowing over ice water makes cold air though if it is overheating.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: August 04, 2023, 02:33:29 pm »

And now I’m having trouble with the wifi again. This time, there isn’t any option to list available wifi networks or anything. It just doesn’t show any wifi networks at all, even with the usb wifi adapter plugged in and everything.

I’m starting to wonder if I shouldn’t take the computer into a repair shop or something to see if something’s wrong with it.

Followed the steps on this article: https://www.howtogeek.com/806845/linux-not-detecting-wi-fi-adapter/ and found out I’ve got a realtek Semiconductor co RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15) that’s currently using the kernel driver “r8169”. When I went to search for it in dmesg (sudo dmesg|grep r8169) I got a message reading “Link is down”.

I don’t know what that means exactly, though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 02:53:20 pm by AzyWng »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: August 04, 2023, 05:25:35 pm »

I've seen problems like that when (I think) the wifi router was set to "N" but a device was only "B/G". This specific setup might be terribly out of date, but it might suggest either a solution (the bands/modes need to be in agreement) or a reason why something will not work.

(Though if it's truly an intermittent issue, as in it works and then it stops without you/anybody else changing settings and back again, it couldn't be that. Unless it's an entirely external factor making it an ocasional issue.)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: August 04, 2023, 06:49:08 pm »

I don’t think it’s a problem with the connection to the router. A list of wi-fi connections just doesn’t appear anymore, and I’m not sure why.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: August 05, 2023, 04:41:10 am »

That sounds like a Network-Manager related issue, not an issue with the intel drivers for the wifi card.

I'd ask on that ubuntu IRC/Discord if they can diagnose the Network-Manager no longer being bound to the wifi device interface, and no longer showing or managing connections.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: August 05, 2023, 09:20:47 am »

I would, but this morning just now, I turned on my laptop with the adapter connected, and now it just
works.

Again.

I have no idea why at this point. Maybe it really is a problem with the adapter heating up and shutting down.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: August 05, 2023, 03:05:25 pm »

Those Covid non-contact temperarure sensors are pretty much a dime a dozen now, you might be able to borrow 1 from somewhere and get a rough idea of the temps when it's working vs not.
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 350