Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Capital Punishment be allowed?

Yes.
No.
Only for certain crimes. (Name please)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27

Author Topic: Capital Punishment  (Read 24263 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Punishment
« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2011, 03:53:02 pm »

Question! Are you arguing that there are, in principle, some cases in which the death penalty would be appropriate, or are you arguing that it is acceptable to institute it as a common practice in the real world? These are very different arguments; the only connection is that the first is a prerequisite for the second. I can and do agree with the first; I disagree extremely with the second.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2011, 03:56:40 pm »

ROFL, that's some serious Christian charity and compassion that you have there.
And I see you're so humble in your formulation. Not an hint of doubt on your right to judge others.

Is a sex offender forgivable? A mass murderer? Is there any act of depravity that's unforgivable?

Yes he is. Forgivable, and guess what, some victims forgave. As for depravity, if that in the sexual sense (as with sleeping with a lot of consenting people in ways not approved by the scriptures) then there is nothing to forgave, because there are no grief to have.

So self righteous... Say me kind sir, is your count of sin negative that you throw so many stones so eagerly yet call yourself a Christian? Or are you just an hypocrite?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2011, 03:59:04 pm »

If they truly regret their actions, then they can pray for forgiveness.
They can.  And... uh, what exactly will that achieve?  What about all those innocent people you're ok with executing to save time and money?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2011, 04:09:45 pm »

A person is only as good as their actions. And if they violate the law, then they're worthless.
What if it's not a just law? Is Rosa Parks worthless?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2011, 04:12:33 pm »

A person is only as good as their actions. And if they violate the law, then they're worthless.
I'm hoping that was just a huge exaggeration. It's pretty unlikely for any given person to have never broken a law in their life. There are a lot of laws. Some are pretty obscure.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2011, 04:15:12 pm »

I'm hoping that was just a huge exaggeration. It's pretty unlikely for any given person to have never broken a law in their life. There are a lot of laws. Some are pretty obscure.
Yeah, find me one person that hasn't jaywalked :P

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2011, 04:15:14 pm »

Oh, and that is a strike for a use of the appeal to law fallacy! Try harder to devalue human life next time.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2011, 04:52:07 pm »

Barney: I love you, you love me, we're a happy family...
Warden: It's time.
Prisoner: Thank God.
Warden: Time for you to watch the Teletubbies!!!
Prisoner: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*another 24 hours later*
Guard: "He's still alive."
Warden:"I'll call in Plan B."

Bible black is plan B.

even the most horrid of criminals are dead afterwards.

Men who survive that are a threat to the earth, nay, the entire dimension.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2011, 05:26:26 pm »

I'd actually like to ask something: When people are throwing around the word "Murderer", are they describing those who committed murder in the First Degree, or anyone who's killed anyone, ever, including by accident?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 31, 2011, 05:28:05 pm »

Manslaughter is the charge for for killing someone without intent, murder being with intent.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 31, 2011, 05:33:24 pm »

Question! Are you arguing that there are, in principle, some cases in which the death penalty would be appropriate, or are you arguing that it is acceptable to institute it as a common practice in the real world? These are very different arguments; the only connection is that the first is a prerequisite for the second. I can and do agree with the first; I disagree extremely with the second.

I want America to utilize capital punishment with much greater frequency. There are several ways that capital punishment can be improved. Once we reduce the lengthy appeals process and expand the death penalty to cover other heinous acts, then the costs and size of our prisons will decrease dramatically.

If they truly regret their actions, then they can pray for forgiveness.
They can.  And... uh, what exactly will that achieve?  What about all those innocent people you're ok with executing to save time and money?

Innocents who are unduly punished are tragic, but unavoidable. It is a sacrifice we must make for the greater good. I prefer a society that seeks justice, rather than a society that houses a monster out of some misplaced sense of compassion.

I was thinking of those who committed felonies, not pretty vandals and jaywalkers.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 31, 2011, 05:47:05 pm »

I want America to utilize capital punishment with much greater frequency. There are several ways that capital punishment can be improved. Once we reduce the lengthy appeals process and expand the death penalty to cover other heinous acts, then the costs and size of our prisons will decrease dramatically.

Okay. Well, I will be honest; I do not understand why this is something you want. But I'd like to understand, even if I don't think I will agree. With that in mind, I hope that the questions I ask don't come across as, "Hah, I bet you didn't consider that one! See, you must be wrong!" I may disagree with something you say, but I'll try to be clear when I'm raising an objection instead of asking for more information.

So, the first question: what is it that makes human life valuable to you? Put another way, what is it that a murderer (for the sake of argument) loses that makes death an acceptable option? It's (I think) obvious that there are crimes for which death is not an acceptable punishment, even if the person in question has, before the crime, done nothing particularly good or bad for the world. "Execution is not acceptable" seems to be the default state for people, so there has to be something that changes. For you, what is that?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 31, 2011, 06:15:09 pm »

I've always wanted to see a justice system that incorporates a bit of this. The courts don't actually hand out any punishment, they just decide whether or not you are guilty, and from then on, you aren't protected by the law that you broke. If you sexually harass someone and are convicted of it, you have no recourse against people who sexually harass you. It'd be entirely unworkable, but it is a curious idea I like to ponder.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 31, 2011, 06:16:18 pm »

I've always wanted to see a justice system that incorporates a bit of this. The courts don't actually hand out any punishment, they just decide whether or not you are guilty, and from then on, you aren't protected by the law that you broke. If you sexually harass someone and are convicted of it, you have no recourse against people who sexually harass you. It'd be entirely unworkable, but it is a curious idea I like to ponder.
So basically, you want us to return to the day of outlaws?
*Hugs*

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 31, 2011, 06:17:39 pm »

So basically, you want us to return to the day of outlaws?

I don't particular want to live in that system or subject it on others, but if somewhere implemented it I'd love to study it.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27