Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Capital Punishment be allowed?

Yes.
No.
Only for certain crimes. (Name please)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Capital Punishment  (Read 24211 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capital Punishment
« on: July 29, 2011, 05:39:22 pm »

Do you believe Capital Punishment (aka, the death sentence) should be allowed?

I do. But being death and all, you shouldn't just hand it out willy-nilly, I think only murderers and terrorists deserve it. I've seen people talk about whether or not rapists should get it, but I believe they shouldn't. Sure, rape is something that scars people for life sometimes, but at least they didn't kill you. I guess severe treason can also get you the ticket to hell through Capital Punishment too.

EDIT: But to get executed, they need to be certain you committed the crime. Like, 110% certain.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:53:10 pm by Jacob/Lee »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Punishment
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 05:40:44 pm »

Being the bleeding heart leftist that I am, not ever.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:43:27 pm »

I've seen people talk about whether or not rapists should get it, but I believe they shouldn't. Sure, rape is something that scars people for life sometimes, but at least they didn't kill you.
I'd personally choose death over that actually.

But no, I don't support the death penalty, if the person can be rehabilitated then that's preferable, if the person can't be rehabilitated, then I'd rather they rot for the rest of their natural life.
*Hugs*

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 05:46:51 pm »

Never.

For those who're concerned life imprisonment is a fate worse than death, I personally think there should be a euthanasia option for those with that sentence. Way better than hanging yourself with a towel or killing your bunkmate to get the death penalty. Also cheaper than feeding them for decades.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:52:29 pm »

I think the euthanasia option is best. The conditions under which I'd find usage of a death penalty to be fair and/or not vulnerable to corruption are extremely rare as to make a general policy of Capital Punishment unfeasible.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 06:00:04 pm »

Against death penalty.  Kindof reluctant on euthanasia since it seems to be ripe to abuse (pressuring people into it).

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 06:01:53 pm »

Also against it. I'd rather people rot in prison, as while that may be considered a worse fate than death, I consider life the absolute most precious thing.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 06:03:13 pm »

I'd support it. Though as as it has been pointed out in an earlier post, it's prone to abuse via corruption.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 06:03:41 pm »

Against. A man can never learn from he's mistakes, let alone home to atone for them, if you kill him.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 06:04:49 pm »

Against death penalty.  Probably for euthanasia if the prison system over here weren't so damned corrupt.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 06:07:07 pm »

No, for a couple of reasons.

1. If you allow a government a power, you must assume that they will abuse it for purposely malicious ends at some point in the future, and judge if they deserve said power by that metric. The Death Penalty is ripe for governmental corruption and abuse against the common people of a nation.

2. A judicial system must operate in such a way as to cause as little harm as possible to those innocents who will inevitably slip through the cracks. More than one person has been posthumously exonerated of their so-called-crimes after they were murdered by the state. You can compensate someone who has been wrongfully imprisoned, but not someone who has been wrongfully killed.

3. Rehabilitation, or in the worst cases, separation, is a superior manner to conduct a legal system when compared to the knee-jerk desire for pointless bloodthirsty revenge.

4. [United States Specific] In an attempt to justify the continued use of the death penalty, those bound for execution are allowed many numerous appeals and stays of execution, all of which involve going to court. As I covered earlier, this doesn't actually keep innocent people from being killed, but it does mean a lot of trials, which cost a lot of money. As in, way more than it would take to feed and clothe someone until they dropped dead of their own accord.

5. You cannot revoke another person's Right to Live, under any circumstances. That's why it's a right, and not a privilege. (War and Self Defense, being "hot-blooded" situations, do not fall under this as they are not specifically out to end another person's life, but for a variety of sociopolitical reasons and defending your own Right to Live, respectively.)

Spoiler: Look At This Map (click to show/hide)

Autocratic, totalitarian nations that abuse human rights make up the majority of nations that still practice the death penalty, with the only notable exceptions being the USA, Japan, and India. This is not a trend I want my nation to be a part of.

7. By killing the criminal, they do escape having to spend the rest of their days in prison. While, as before, the primary function of the judicial system should not be punishment, forcing the criminal to stay alive for the remainder of their natural life leaves the potential of recognizing their actions as wrong. As we have no conclusive evidence of an afterlife, any kind of punishment or repentance must take place while the criminal is still alive.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:17:19 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 06:12:19 pm »

Your map is broken Metal.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 06:13:25 pm »

Code: [Select]
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/Death_Penalty_World_Map.svg/800px-Death_Penalty_World_Map.svg.png[/img]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:15:19 pm by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 06:14:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 06:16:09 pm »

Yes, but only marginally so.

Only in cases where there is no question of guilt and the offender is irredeemable.

If my only options were state of texas and no, then I would prefer no.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27