Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: This game is extraordinary!  (Read 5059 times)

Falesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Darkfall Movies
This game is extraordinary!
« on: July 27, 2011, 05:27:39 pm »

I stumbled upon Dwarf Fortress in a recent slashdot article. I was almost put off from playing due to the graphics and difficulty of managing it. However I saw a pic of the Lazy Newb Pack with the graphics and dwarf therapist, installed that and was hooked! This game blows my mind, I'm getting the same feeling I got when playing the Civilization games in their heyday.

If I could give you any advice it would be to show the pictures from the Lazy Newb Pack prominently on the website homepage and anywhere else where new people might first drop by. I almost lost this game because even though I'm not a graphics whore I'm not sure I could handle just text, at least when making the decision to seriously give the game a shot.

Regardless of whether you agree with that or not what I can certainly give you is the £20 I just donated.  ;D

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: This game is extraordinary!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:37:36 pm »

Heh, I never would have started DF without the tilesets either.  It makes a huge difference.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:57:22 pm »

Ditto. An article I saw on tigsource about the addition of graphics support was what convinced me to give this game a shot.

Glad you're having fun!

Edit: No idea if the lazy newb pack includes it, but check out the Stonesense utility (can be found in the mod section of the forums) for an isometric graphical view of your fort.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:01:23 pm by Flying Carcass »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:02:32 pm »

LNP has Stonesense in it.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:45:13 pm »

Honestly, I can live with the text only (I've started doing so, at least) but the main thing that kills the ascii for me is the fact that the default tileset is not square. Of course, this can be fixed with a custom set of characters.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:51:09 pm »

I would've killed myself trying DF without a tileset, luckily I used the Mayday one and was hooked. By 2010 I was on ASCII graphics, since then I have never ever played a roguelike with a tileset on except for Rogue Survivor.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:01:40 am »

When I started playing I told myself that I would stay 'true to the game' and only play the vanilla ASCII tileset, but the oblong tiles were driving me nuts (square rooms that are longer in one dimension than the other just don't cut it for me).  So I went and found a square tileset, and the next thing I know I was playing the mayday pack and have only played ASCII graphics a few times since lol.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 01:24:41 am »

Yeah, I use the Hanuman tileset, which just makes everything actually square, and dear God did that make a tremendous difference. It is so refreshing to have square rooms actually be square.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 01:57:51 am »

I read about Boatmurdered on TV tropes years back (I think 40d) and decided to try it out, I used the multi-part tutorial and mayday's tilesets for a long time.  Eventually I decided to use ASCII when my graphics set wouldn't function right following a new version and decided I liked it but like others did not like it not being square when it should be.  I now use Cheepicus (I think thats it..) which is ASCII with a few very minor modifications and most importantly square.  I try out graphics sets every now and again, I'm not opposed to them with the same.. Passion.. That some people are on this forum, but I don't ever really stick with them long once the novelty wears off.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 02:51:04 am »

Let's not turn this thread in another ASCIIxTileset thread... let this thread be another where we can talk about how awesome DF is.

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 03:16:17 am »

Hahahah thank you OP, you just made my day. I'll link this thread now anytime one of the dinosaurs tells me that tilesets are wrong and from the devil :P

I had the exact same experience by the way.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 03:49:56 am »

Tilesets are wrong and from the devil.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 03:59:21 am »

DF only works with tilesets, the 'ascii' looking one is a tileset.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 04:29:23 am »

ROARRRR

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 04:51:12 am »

ROARRRR

I guess we're witnessing the start of a beautiful friendship here.
Pages: [1] 2 3