Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: This game is extraordinary!  (Read 5054 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: This game is extraordinary!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 05:18:49 am »

As wonderful as they are, I am too lazy to bother installing tilesets.
But i'm fine with my playstyle.

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 06:02:54 am »

Speaking from a lazy head myself, i just downloaded the LNP and clicked on the tileset, and then start dwarf fortress :P Thats it.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 09:53:52 am »

Speaking from a lazy head myself, i just downloaded the LNP and clicked on the tileset, and then start dwarf fortress :P Thats it.
Trickery!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 12:07:21 pm »

Heh, I actually installed the LNP waaaaay after I was no longer a newb by any standards (doesn't mean I'm an expert.. But when who is?) just for simplicity. 

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 12:49:34 pm »

Call me crazy, but I have trouble 'reading' the fancy tilesets. I prefer the character graphics, although not the default character set, I use a square one that's bigger and nicer. Too many glyphs have multiple meanings depending on context, and I don't like seeing a volcano that looks like a weapon trap, or a lever right in the middle of someones name, etc.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 02:21:37 pm »

Indeed the symbols in writing were my biggest issue with many fancier tilesets (though I'm told many of those issues are less of a problem these days).  It sometimes got to the point it was hard to even read what was being said.

Falesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Darkfall Movies
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 04:26:04 pm »

The only writing issue I have noticed is possibly the full stop being replaced by a symbol in the Phoebus set I am using. I never even thought of writing as being a possible issue during play until I read it here so it must be pretty much perfect now.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 05:53:15 pm »

Seeing things like levers appearing in someone's name is, as far as I know, a bug - I know it happens when you try to apply an old tileset to a new patch, maybe other circumstances can bring it about as well. But anyway it shouldn't happen if you have an up-to-date non-buggy tileset - at least not to letters, the only characters I see getting replaced by graphics (with latest Mayday) are punctuation, which is still very readable.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 10:38:13 pm »

To clarify, what I meant by 'reading' I meant what's going on in the screen. Having graphics in mid sentence is survivable, but it bugs me when a glyph is supposed to represent two completely different things, and the more it looks like one of them, it must look less like the other. For me, I don't think it looks better that way. I find it aesthetically awkward. A character set is more cohesive with itself.

My latest forts:

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 10:47:11 pm »

To clarify, what I meant by 'reading' I meant what's going on in the screen. Having graphics in mid sentence is survivable, but it bugs me when a glyph is supposed to represent two completely different things, and the more it looks like one of them, it must look less like the other. For me, I don't think it looks better that way. I find it aesthetically awkward. A character set is more cohesive with itself.

Like goblin fortresses being displayed as cabinets or quivers and backpacks as chests?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 07:04:38 am »

Like goblin fortresses being displayed as cabinets or quivers and backpacks as chests?

Exactly, thank you. I haven't used a tileset in so long I couldn't think of specific examples. It's even worse when you are looking at the world map. I 'really' like the way the world map looks with the old style character set.

My latest forts:

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 07:09:30 am »

Hey, I like the Phoebus depiction of a ballista arrow as a flying table with a pointy stick attached to it. True, I would not expect Goblins to be very organized, so cabinets might be a strange choice for their settlements - then again: They visit nearly every year - very polite and reliable chaps they are.

Falesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Darkfall Movies
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 05:36:59 pm »

Is there a specific reason the game uses ASCII rather then them making an icon, even if it is a copy of the ASCII currently used, for each object in the game? Even if they copied the ASCII other set makers could use the hooks to create a full set.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 07:44:37 pm »

Is there a specific reason the game uses ASCII rather then them making an icon, even if it is a copy of the ASCII currently used, for each object in the game? Even if they copied the ASCII other set makers could use the hooks to create a full set.

Isn't it already like this? Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought it worked like that.

Falesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Darkfall Movies
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 09:31:16 am »

Isn't it already like this? Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought it worked like that.

If it was wouldn't the Phoebus be able to make a dedicated ballista arrow rather then reusing the table?
Pages: 1 [2] 3