Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a siege breaker  (Read 1421 times)

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need a siege breaker
« on: July 25, 2011, 02:18:42 pm »

So for the past two seasons now my volcano/mountain fortress has been sealed up due to two consecutive sieges. I was able to seal up my entrance just before the first siege came barreling, and started building a ballista battery to start thinning their ranks (orcs on war grizzly mounts). Unfortunately, the bastards sitting out front called it a day just as I made the final touches on the ballista post, and right as they left another larger siege showed up and are now just chilling on the sides of the map.

Now normally none of this would bother me, but since I modified crops to take nearly a full year until they are harvestable and also yield significantly less, I only have a matter of time before I run out of food and booze. Most of my crops won't be due until around winter or next spring (I think), and this is currently the end of summer, so I need to break this siege before the dwarven caravan shows up at the end of autumn.

Any suggestions on a reasonabfly fast way to break a siege in about three months?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: Need a siege breaker
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:21:24 pm »

I  need to know some things.
1. Are these the super cool genises orcs?
2. How did you piss them off?
3. How many dwarves do  you have and how many out of those dwarves have 0 friends?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:26:50 pm »

1) Don't know about the Genesis mod, but I pulled the raws for these ones from Orc mod 2010 (or something like that).
2) They just showed up looking for a fight.  :-\
3) Like 66 last I checked. Maybe a fewer since I sacrificed 8 undesirables to the first siege to show up. Most dwarves dont have more than than one friend, and the military has been kept more or less separate since I created them.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:30:58 pm by SmokedRWA »

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:29:14 pm »

Build a danger room, train a few squads of legendary fighters, slaughter intruders.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 02:31:02 pm »

There are several corses of action you could take
Gather your militia and charge for glory or.. if your not ready for FUN..
Cave ins could work, build a large floor over the sigers and colapse it.
Build a danger room, train a few squads of legendary fighters, slaughter intruders.
If your a pansy than this could work.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:34:10 pm »

Yea I would like to avoid danger rooms if possible.

A cavein trap was one of my first ideas, but I need a way to lure the entire siege, or most of it,. under it first. Also I wasn't too sure about how long it would take to make one.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 02:36:07 pm »

Yea I would like to avoid danger rooms if possible.

A cavein trap was one of my first ideas, but I need a way to lure the entire siege, or most of it,. under it first. Also I wasn't too sure about how long it would take to make one.
Pussies Kittens, lure those uncivilized orc bastards with fresh kittens, or nobles.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 02:41:19 pm »

Do building destroyer:1 attack stone supports?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 02:44:28 pm »

Do building destroyer:1 attack stone supports?
Yes....Yes.. the can you devious bastard. ;D

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 03:26:07 pm »

I don't think any building destroyers attack supports any more. You can still trick them into killing themselves by having the support linked to a water-activated pressure plate next to a door with water behind it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 03:58:05 pm »

Since I have the easy access to magma, I may just make a magma trap i can later convert into an obsidianizer (never built either though). The cave in trap is still on the table, but I would prefer to have something that is resuable and doesn't mar the natural terrain of my giant mountain.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 04:00:24 pm »

If your a pansy than this could work.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply anyone was a pansy! :)
I assumed that the OP has not had time to properly train a military and so was looking for a shortcut/quick fix.
If the OP's military is fully trained and operational then there is no reason to ask the question IMHO, just kill kill kill! ;)

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 07:03:12 pm »

And....... they left before it was complete. Very likely that the caravan won't show up either. Looks like we'll have to tighten our belts for the winter! On a related note: what does it taken for elves to declare war? The merchants from this year had to be put down after going berserk from being holed up in the fort for so long.

Good news is that I'll have a dodge-fall trap into a nice little magma pool ready for the next invaders.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 07:24:45 pm »

I recommend building a number of watchtowers that can only be accessed from inside the fort, and stationing squads of marksdwarves in them. If they're firing from behind fortifications and the enemy can't reach them to engage in close combat you can get away with wooden crossbows and minimal armour -a breastplate, helm and wooden shield ought to be plenty- and so long as you have plenty of bolts it doesn't really matter if their training isn't up to much; you could even give the greener squads wooden and bone bolts and treat the seige as a live-fire exercise.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 07:40:29 pm »

So for the past two seasons now my volcano/mountain fortress has been sealed up due to two consecutive sieges...

...Any suggestions on a reasonabfly fast way to break a siege in about three months?

In 3 months: Mass-produce crossbows and bolts, recruit a militia, and shoot at them from engraved fortifications in rock faces.

A future siege breaker: modify your volcano to pump magma at them.

Alternate short-term: Can you dig a tunnel to pour magma downhill at them?