Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My dwarves are being animal lovers (Won't butcher or hunt them)  (Read 3883 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves are being animal lovers (Won't butcher or hunt them)
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 03:11:11 am »

Where are these animals? And does your hunter have bolts in their quiver?

Actually, they just disappeared for some reason.

If you're sure that he had bolts before and now he doesn't, he probably was hunting while you weren't noticing.

Now I'm beginning to think this game is trolling me. I also have two plots set up to grow plump helmets and prickle berries, but for some reason my farmer doesn't seem to care about them. There's only one plump helmet growing and the prickle berry plot is empty. Yes, I do have seeds (60 prickle berry seeds and 64 plump helmet spawns). As a result, I only have seeds and drinks in my food stores, nothing else.

Plants have limited planting seasons, and it's probably past planting time for those crops-- so your farmer will wait until they can be planted again.  You're currently on the brink of starvation for your whole fortress.  You could try building a kitchen and getting a cook to cook some of those seeds, but that's not a good long-term solution.  Maybe a caravan will come?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 03:39:16 am »

Well, my hunter dwarf finally started hunting. He got the hint that starvation is generally not a good thing. I made some more bolts so maybe that did it. Now my dwarves can feast on prepared badger brains. Yummy! However, the butchery still seems a bit weird. From time to time, I still get "Dwarf cancels butcher an animal: Needs butcherable unrotten nearby item" even though I'm not adding the butcher task. I also got "Dwarf cancels render fat: Needs unrotten FAT RENDER_MAT-producing glob". Not sure what that's about, but I'm gonna guess it does that everytime my dwarves run out of animals to butcher or fat to render (which I didn't even know they did).

Apart from that, my farmers are still being stubborn and don't seem to want to be useful. I'm really stumped... They'll only grow about three tiles of plump helmets on one plot and just ignore the other one. And it's like that all the time.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 03:43:51 am »

I also got "Dwarf cancels render fat: Needs unrotten FAT RENDER_MAT-producing glob". Not sure what that's about, but I'm gonna guess it does that everytime my dwarves run out of animals to butcher or fat to render (which I didn't even know they did).
this is normal.  default standing (o)rders are to automatically render all fat to tallow in a kitchen.  once the fat runs out, you get this message.

not sure about the canceled butchery.

as for the plots, sometimes my dwarves dont plant all the tiles to a plot either.  not sure why this is, though i think it may have to do with a job with a higher priority than planting coming up.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 04:10:47 am »

as for the plots, sometimes my dwarves dont plant all the tiles to a plot either.  not sure why this is, though i think it may have to do with a job with a higher priority than planting coming up.

I don't think that's it, because my farmers are standing around with "No job". I changed the prickle berry plot to a cave wheat plot and my farmer suddenly went to it and planted 5 tiles and then left. I think it's because I have no cave wheat seeds left, but if I look at my stocks, it says I still have 5 left. I don't see any on the kitchen screen, however. Do stocks also show planted seeds?

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 04:39:12 am »

I believe they do, since a seed is a part of the plot "building" until it matures.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 05:08:24 am »

Well, my hunter dwarf finally started hunting. He got the hint that starvation is generally not a good thing. I made some more bolts so maybe that did it.

Maybe the bolts were reserved for your military? I sometime ran into this problem, and making more bolts and quivers usually solved it.

For the "need unrotten butcherable item" message, it's a classic.
- butcher jobs are automatically generated when your hunter kills something
- the hunter will bring back his kill to the butchery
- some random hauler will see the corpse in the butchery, and will take it to the refuse pile
- the butcher tries to do his job, but can't find the animal (it is still in transit), and complains
- the hauler drops the animal in the refuse pile
- another "butcher" job is generated, and this time the butcher finds the corpse in the refus pile and take it to the workshop to do his job.

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 06:07:01 am »

Maybe the bolts were reserved for your military? I sometime ran into this problem, and making more bolts and quivers usually solved it.

For the "need unrotten butcherable item" message, it's a classic.
- butcher jobs are automatically generated when your hunter kills something
- the hunter will bring back his kill to the butchery
- some random hauler will see the corpse in the butchery, and will take it to the refuse pile
- the butcher tries to do his job, but can't find the animal (it is still in transit), and complains
- the hauler drops the animal in the refuse pile
- another "butcher" job is generated, and this time the butcher finds the corpse in the refus pile and take it to the workshop to do his job.

Thanks for clearing that up. It seems I have no more problems with hunting. My hunter is doing a decent job, although he almost got himself killed by a group of badger boars. He was surroundered by many of them and sustained heavy wounds, which, for some reason, completely disappeared a minute later. Maybe because he was next to a river and tended to his wounds?

Well, my only problem left is farming. Seeing all that empty plot land and all those seeds lying around is breaking my heart.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 07:01:42 am »

I changed the prickle berry plot to a cave wheat plot and my farmer suddenly went to it and planted 5 tiles and then left.

Prickle berries are above-ground plants.  Cave wheat is an underground plant.  You couldn't have done this to a single plot.

I think it's because I have no cave wheat seeds left, but if I look at my stocks, it says I still have 5 left. I don't see any on the kitchen screen, however. Do stocks also show planted seeds?

Yes, the planted seeds are part of your inventory, until they mature (or vanish just after a season change).  You can even seen them inside the farm plot using (t).

Quote from: RAKninja
default standing (o)rders are to automatically render all fat to tallow in a kitchen.  once the fat runs out, you get this message.

not sure about the canceled butchery.

The most likely cause is having two of the workshop.  Fat is auto-rendered by defaut (unless/until you turn it off), so once you get some fat, a "Render Fat" job is queued up in every kitchen.  Whichever kitchen doesn't do the rendering of the last bit will end up cancelling the job.

Same with the butcher shop -- if a corpse is within range of two butcher's shops, and if auto-butcher is left on, both of them will queue up a "Butcher Animal" job.  One of those will get cancelled.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:04:51 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 04:14:34 pm »

thanks for clearing that up greycat.... ive always assumed it was because the fat runs out.

ostrich knight:  look at the hunter's description... is he incredibly quick to heal?

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 08:13:16 pm »

ostrich knight:  look at the hunter's description... is he incredibly quick to heal?

Nope.

Prickle berries are above-ground plants.  Cave wheat is an underground plant.  You couldn't have done this to a single plot.

Well, that explains why they would not plant any prickle berries at all. I still find it strange they'll only plant 5 seeds at most and then go "No job" while there's still a lot of plot land left to cover.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 10:08:43 pm »

Did they run out of seeds?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 10:30:57 pm »

If there is something "blocking" a part of your plot, when the dwarves come to that spot to plant they stop and will not proceed to any further spot in the plot. This happens to me most often with aboveground plots and having a floating bit of land making one of the tiles underneath unsuitable for planting. Not sure what can mess it up belowground.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 11:00:45 pm »

i remember reading about a bug that let you build a plot if only some of the tiles were suitable for farming (soil or muddied), that caused the dwarves to only plant up to the first tile that was unacceptable... was this fixed?

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 12:45:29 am »

Not a chance. I got plenty of seeds. Seriously, it's everywhere. For some reason there even was a bunch of seeds lying around in my bookkeeper's office.

If there is something "blocking" a part of your plot, when the dwarves come to that spot to plant they stop and will not proceed to any further spot in the plot. This happens to me most often with aboveground plots and having a floating bit of land making one of the tiles underneath unsuitable for planting. Not sure what can mess it up belowground.

I think that just may be the problem. My farm plots are kind of outside(on the surface, right outside of my fortress) with a floor above, covering them. I just checked it and it's not completely covering them. Both have a couple of tiles that are exposed to the sky. Maybe those tiles are not suitable for indoors crops, and that prevented my farmers from trying to plant more. I'll try relocating it entirely

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 03:09:15 am »

Not a chance. I got plenty of seeds. Seriously, it's everywhere. For some reason there even was a bunch of seeds lying around in my bookkeeper's office.

I think that just may be the problem. My farm plots are kind of outside(on the surface, right outside of my fortress) with a floor above, covering them. I just checked it and it's not completely covering them. Both have a couple of tiles that are exposed to the sky. Maybe those tiles are not suitable for indoors crops, and that prevented my farmers from trying to plant more. I'll try relocating it entirely
any tile that has ever had open sky above it is unsuitable for belowground crops.  forever.

what most folks do yo frow outdoor crops safely is channel out the z-s above the plot, and floor over it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3