Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I want to play, but I don't want to build  (Read 3342 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
I want to play, but I don't want to build
« on: July 24, 2011, 01:33:10 pm »

I have this stupid problem with DF. Every time I start new fortress I have this perfect embark with endless opportunities. Then I dont know what to do because i might do something "wrong" and regret later. Im such a perfectionist and it annoys me.

Anyone experience similar? How did you solve it?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I want to play, but I don't want to build
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 01:36:17 pm »

I have the same issue and I fix it by setting up a temporary place for everyone to live knowing that it will later be deconstructed or otherwise destroyed and then I work on my actual fort or whatever and move people in as its completed...just do everything one step at a time

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 01:38:25 pm »

Just mess everything up.  Really, dig out huge lines of channels, cave in a mountain onto your metalsmith, floor your river with more river, make everything horrid (or play a succession fort, same difference) and by the time you start a fort after that, everything will be relatively well-designed

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 01:42:35 pm »

When I played my first succession game I was totally devastated at the horrible mess the fort was.  :-[
I spent all my turns cleaning the fort while others just made it worse.
In single player I plan ahead and savescum if I accidently dig soil because its so ugly.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 04:46:17 pm »

OP, it seems like you are afflicted with the DF version of Perfectitis, a strong compulsion against making even tiny mistakes when playing. Itīs mostly seen in FPS where you can save everywhere, in which case the player save during battles and restart any time he takes an avoidable hit or misses with an attack, thereby taking a lot of time and taking away most of the enjoyment.

My suggestion is that you wait with your perfect embark a while, start a fortress on another embark and try out a layout for your fort, that way you can decide on a good design in a "safe" environment. This should make you care less about making mistakes, allowing you to soon try on the perfect embark with a design that you are certain of. Just in case, set your init-file to make separate saves for each in-game month, so that IF you make a terrible miss, you can go back a month and save the situation.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 04:51:10 pm »

just accept it, embrace it even.  you will mess up.  it'll be !!FUN!!.  no harm or shame in it.  and when you do mess up, learn a lesson from it to apply to the next fort =D
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 05:00:28 pm »

My problem is that my fortresses are terribly well designed. i want them look messy and mazeish and hopelessly inefficent.
This is just too clean
http://postimage.org/image/2wkxp2fc4/

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 05:01:23 pm »

Worst case scenario is pump magma and water into your old sections of your fort. Or convert the rooms into a tomb complex. Get inventive. You can always relocate your fort once you have the numbers to build that 'perfect' layout.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 05:05:40 pm »

Ugh what a mess! Just kidding, looks fairly organized as for as dwarven fortresses go.

But if you're really worried about messing up, just tell yourself this: if you change your mind, there's little some good walling of and using DFunreveal can't hide. Out of sight out of mind right?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 06:43:09 pm »

When I played my first succession game I was totally devastated at the horrible mess the fort was.  :-[
I did that.

others just made it worse.
I did that too. There was a patch of melty FB goo by the front gate.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jalapeņo Cheesepuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 06:55:35 pm »

I have this same problem. I start a fortress, play it for a while, stop, then look back at it and see some design flaw and start anew. It bugs me. I think I will try what Dennis suggested and build a temporary fortress before my main fortress.
"The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr. Brain has long since departed"

-Edmund Blackadder

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 07:04:16 pm »

I'm terrible at this. I have some weird issue with having to dump every single stone dug into a pile...Granted, once it's set up, my fortress is really good ^^
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 07:53:02 pm »

I've gotten to the point where I mod/hack the game to give myself lots of food/booze to start off with so that I can dig out a "real" fort design rather than a temporary layout, because I know that for me, there's no such thing as a "temporary" layout.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 08:59:25 pm »

I set up the entire fortress, fully dug out, and then just remove the chokepoints until I'm ready to dig the section that they lead on to. If I hit something ugly, I remove it all and install nice looking walls. Until constructions can be engraved, those ugly patches still get on my nerves.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 09:00:31 pm »

I've gotten to the point where I mod/hack the game to give myself lots of food/booze to start off with
The 10,000 points the game can give you isn't enough?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2 3