Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466900 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How the heck were dwarves able to smelt alumnium when it took us until only a couple of centuries ago to pull it off?

It's easier to smelt than adamantine, and then they just worked backwards

Why are roasts so valuable?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

How the heck were dwarves able to smelt alumnium when it took us until only a couple of centuries ago to pull it off?
Aluminum has always been around, it's just native aluminum is extremely rare. The aluminum we have today is refined from bauxite.

Answer to above: Because dwarves can't taste, so any food that looks good is extremely valuable.

Why don't dwarves accept necromancers as part of a fort? The ability to raise the dead would be great for building megaprojects. (That's actually how necros build their towers.)
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Demdemeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because part of mastering the secrets of life and death is shaving off your beard, and the other beards can't have him spreading the idea around.

Why does only fat respond to heat?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile

Fat tends to sweat a bunch. The sweat boils in the heat, making the fat even hotter,so it sweats more, then next thing you know your dwarves are 50% thinner and resemble charcoal briquets.

Why do dwarves insist on abandoning their stations to go whack the enemy with their crossbows?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile

Why do dwarves insist on abandoning their stations to go whack the enemy with their crossbows?

Because long-range combat is for sissies and elves and sissy elves.  You can only please the God of Blood by beating the tar out of goblins up close and personal.

Why is it dwarves will ignore orders to seal up the fortress when a siege arrives if there's a party going, or if they're on a break or drinking or eating or sleeping?

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why is it dwarves will ignore orders to seal up the fortress when a siege arrives if there's a party going, or if they're on a break or drinking or eating or sleeping?
Union rules.

Why did the founding dwarves travel aboveground to found a new fortress?
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Why did the founding dwarves travel aboveground to found a new fortress?
Easier to survey.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile

Why do my dwarfs insist on placing individual body parts into tombs, when we don't even have enough coffins for the piles of FULL dead bodies that are busy away haunting the fort?

A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

They are trying to hint that you should begin ritual cremation and memorialization. They've been wanting to pave the halls with the memories of their honored dead for so long...

Why do extremely over-simplified screw pumps purify water so well, especially of nigh-magical toxins?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do my dwarfs insist on placing individual body parts into tombs, when we don't even have enough coffins for the piles of FULL dead bodies that are busy away haunting the fort?

i made dwarves NOT_LIVING during world generation so they will never appear as undead in necromancers' sieges, that should help if you are getting massive amounts of dwarven corpses due to those sieges. You should be able to keep coffin production up quite easily though, because those can be made from stone, wood, and glass and its usually easy to get alot of stone and sand for glass.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

They are trying to hint that you should begin ritual cremation and memorialization. They've been wanting to pave the halls with the memories of their honored dead for so long...

Why do extremely over-simplified screw pumps purify water so well, especially of nigh-magical toxins?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Dwarven screw pumps are magic as well.

Why is bringing water to bedridden patients such a low priority?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why is bringing water to bedridden patients such a low priority?

Because of the undocumented, hard-coded [ETHIC:GIVE_WATER_TO_DWARF:UNTHINKABLE]

How can a lever affect a floodgate 100 tiles away and 30 tiles down?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quantum entanglement.

If caverns are fed with geothermal energy, then why are the magma-filled ones more deadish than others?

I left the community for almost a year and my god this thread is still alive.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Demdemeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fire imps and magma crabs eliminated the competition.

Why are nether caps always the same temperature?

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

Their temperatures are capped in the nether sections of the temperature scale, and entropy keeps them at said cap. Hence, the name.

Why doesn't sound emanate from most activities?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 301