Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466844 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Why can't goblins just hole up underground and do nothing? They don't need to eat, drink or anything. Why fight? They could do wonders for the scientific front!
They do do science. They invented the lightsaberwhip.

Why do beekeepers insist on not wearing protective clothing from the bees which they keep
Because their beards protect the only parts of them which really have any feeling.

Why do clothes slow down the FPS?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

NineFourEightSeven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because dwarves love their socks, that means a lot of socks.

Why do giant sponges have [MOUNT_EXOTIC] if they're immobile?

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

Immobile creatures are unsurprisingly easy to mount, s o they are used for mounted-combat training.

Why can't giant sponges just die?!?!?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile

They can't move off the mortal coil.

Why do goblins ignore my beautiful trap-filled entrance?
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!

nymall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Serious: Probably because there's a quicker, easier route. Gobs always path through the shortest route(unless they're on mounts... then they just spaz randomly)

Not-so-serious: You see, it all has to do with goblin Gravo-dynamics. Each time a goblin dies, it creates a small field of negative "deadite" energy. Goblins, being the corrupted spawn of fey creatures, have a natural attunement to this invisible Nether of energy. As they get closer, the death of thier comrades 'compells' them to find another route, like a similar magnet pushing away a similar magnet. In this way, you could say thier field is 'opposed' to death. Har har har.(My son loves Rocky and Bullwinkle. The puns are driving me mad...)

Why does it never spawn just ONE megabest in the caverns at a time?

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Serious: Probably because there's a quicker, easier route. Gobs always path through the shortest route(unless they're on mounts... then they just spaz randomly)
No, they just stand there. For several months. Then they wander off.

And to answer your question: They hate you.

Why do babies crawl around aimlessly when not being held?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

Because younger dwarves are more attuned to Armok. And Armok compels them to wander off and die somewhere.

Why do people forget about Forgotten Beasts if they appear almost every year in dwarven forts?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

black47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do people forget about Forgotten Beasts if they appear almost every year in dwarven forts?

Because skinless asses that shoot poisonous gas are too much to bear and dwarves are too mentally scarred to remember. The non-asses one, well, they are just distant cousins of this guy.

Why did Urist McChicken cross the road?

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He was being dragged by the butcher, he had no choice!

When are sweet pods red?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

When a Titan picks one up and stabs a dwarf with it.

Why are plump helmets the ONLY (non-tree) plant that can be grown in the expansive underground caverns during ALL times of the year, despite this being an extraordinary evolutionary advantage, leading to a huge sprout in population?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why are plump helmets the ONLY (non-tree) plant that can be grown in the expansive underground caverns during ALL times of the year, despite this being an extraordinary evolutionary advantage, leading to a huge sprout in population?

Well, some plants are better at this game than others. It's like on the surface where we do have plants like Bishop's weed. They grow like, well, weed. They can be edible (this one is), but is outperforming all other plants and crowding out the native vegetation. As to the why: Evolution is a dirty game, there's winners...

Why do vampires think they can remain secret when they arrive with a shitload of skills and a list of former fortresses longer than their forearm? If they just wouldn't boast...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile

But where's the fun without boasting?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

Honesty is the only virtue left for them.

Why don't kobolds advance on their own?  Can't they just speak jibberish and learn to forge?  Not being understandable by humans hardly means they have to be stupid. . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile

There is a difference between stupid and simple. Kobolds are fundamentally different from humans or dwarves in that they don't aspire to build great kingdoms from the ground up (or down, as it were). They like living on simple means, and relish the challenge of living only on what they can scrounge and steal. When the civilizations they leech from die, however, most kobolds cannot survive the transition to doing their own dang work and perish with them.

If the goblin thief came to my fortress to steal a child, why did he cut the poor thing's leg off before stuffing her in his bag? I can't imagine the corpses of dwarf children are anywhere near as useful to his civilization.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:20:13 pm by strongrudder »
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile

The bag was too small.

How does a dorf with the personality trait "views helping others as an imposition on his time" manage to migrate in as a master suturer?
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 301