Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players. [Now with more tantrums.]  (Read 26923 times)

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Come now, really?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haha. I'm particularly fond of the corridor full of vomit up one z level from there, where Doren and Kogsak both passed before eventually dying.

TonyI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nevermind.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:25:47 pm by TonyI »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

---------------------------------------------
1st Granite, y.11     

Today marks the beginning of the end for a fortress--immemorable only to those whom have laid eyes on the trading hall with hearts yearning to leave with coin and fiscal document clenched in each fist. The onset of spring, perhaps being the most important event of the 'day of Granite' in any ordinary year, is lost in significance as the settlement adopts a worry unbecoming of our race. As such, I am afraid this volumn may be the last to adorn the shelf in my office, forgotten in history and its rotting parchment read only by the occasional curious (and illiterate) kobold. The noise outside of my office door has all but ceased today, as my kin talk in hushed whispers, making their blooming anxiety apparent to all with an ear to listen.
As unceremonious as the turnover was, it carried more weight than I care to admit even to my blood-kin back at the capital; the unscrupulous way our self-proclaimed bishop turned and left the office with a haste, after depositing the fortress-coin into my hand is especially ingrained into my mind.
Naturally, the first decision a ruler makes is one that carries significance throughout the term; typically one that appeals to all under the mountain. I am afraid that nothing of the sort will happen this year, and under the difficult circumstances I am left with, what I am about to do will certainly carry significance for young Echopaged, though not in a manner one can stomach so easily.
Tomorrow will see every miner early to rise, for their work will be all-important for fortress continuity. Echopaged will soon cease to be one settlement--a quarantine will be put into place, effective immediately to contain the spread of this terrible blood disease amongst my kin.

-Overseer Flandre
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:53:36 pm by Flandre »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile

Sounds like its time to plug up the old fortress and move it into the new one! The old one being contaminated with blood.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like its time to plug up the old fortress and move it into the new one! The old one being contaminated with blood.

I wanted to close up the old fortress from day one but I couldn't be assed to get my shit together and actually do the monotonous bits of it. Looking forward to your turn Flandre, looks good already! Wouldn't you leave and hide in the great temple, too? With all its gold and platinum it's practically worth half the fortress value :P

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You didn't disassemble my golden road and bridge did you? :O

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, it is still there.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 09:56:39 am by Flandre »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

2nd Granite, y.11     

The fortress is quiet in these early morning hours, and in a mountainhome, that silence is as deafening as it is beautiful. The steady run of sand and the occasional click of a mechanism is the only thing audible throughout that first night I have spent asleep in my office, and indeed, the large hourglass from which this noise originates began to turn with a creak just as I have awoken. The sound of colliding wood proclaimed the new morning as that hourglass came to a halt, and sand flowing once more for yet another six-hour cycle. This day's events were nothing to look forward to, and these were my thoughts almost exclusively as I slipped into my leather dress and silk shoes, and stepped out into the dark, and dizzyingly large, empty chamber that was the primary dining hall. My mind immediately slipped into the happy memories of when I was a young girl, exploring the deep reaches of the all-familiar mountainhomes, and wishing incessantly that I would find that tauntingly beautiful blue stone, with that naive resolve all children have.
I walked briskly in the direction of the central stairwell, and descended it carefully so as not to injure myself. The air became cooler as I descended, and I wrapped my woolen cloak tighter.
Fievreux's room is among the first on the left, and knowing her, she will still be asleep at this early hour. Her husband, a thin and frail dwarf who works on stone with a slow fervor (or so I hear), walks past distraughtly with something of an ackward bow, and continues on, presumably to tend to the children Fievreux and he are raising.
I knock on the mayor's door softly, and enter to find the room well lit, and Fievreux sitting on her bed, crying. My heart sinks the moment she tells me her daughter, Bembul, has a broken knee from her fight with stoneworker Feb. Telling her about the plan will not be as simple as I had hoped, and I am afraid this is where this entry ends for the moment.

I am certain that this journal will be less complete as the year progresses, but my job will certainly be as busy as it is unclean. None might even read it.

-Overseer Flandre
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:18:54 am by Flandre »

MilestoneTwo

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist? I'm scared.
    • View Profile

Gosh you guys, I leave for a week and everything goes to hell.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thats a Succession fort for ye!

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guys, I apologize for the inactivity... Things have been busy lately. I have yet to even unpause the game.

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guys, I apologize for the inactivity... Things have been busy lately. I have yet to even unpause the game.

It's alright, take your time! Your posts thus far have been great, I've got no problem waiting for you, and I doubt others do either.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How goes it Flandre? Not rushing or anything, just bumping this to the front page :D

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I go to Chicago, come back, and /this is what I find/. XD

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have not had time to even unpause the game yet. Heh, I am not even posting from my computer at the moment...
But yes, I am thinking of walling off the infected part of the fortress and throwing food down every once in a while. Zanziik, how long did you let the game run after the beast started bleeding?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18