Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf breeding...  (Read 1656 times)

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf breeding...
« on: July 20, 2011, 05:35:32 pm »

Or rather... inbreeding.

Would dwarves inbreed? Thinking of a fort with a male & female and seeing if I can spawn a large enough pop to have a monarch. I am away this would take very long.
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Dwarf breeding...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:36:35 pm »

I am fairly certain that siblings cannot marry.  Other than that, there's no restriction on inbreeding.  You'll need two pairs to start your fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:39:39 pm »

So dwarves will marry and breed with their cousins? Interesting.

Off-topic: this is a funny thread to make when your girlfriend is reading over your shoulder.
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:42:19 pm »

So dwarves will marry and breed with their cousins? Interesting.

Off-topic: this is a funny thread to make when your girlfriend is reading over your shoulder.

So yeah, it's like your in Alabama or any other hillbilly state.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:45:38 pm »

Starting with three might work; the odd dwarf can couple off with one of your children, and then in the next generation they'll be cousins with the rest of your fortress, which might work.

However, most of it comes down to luck.  Dwarven romance is rather inscrutable, unreliable, and slow.  You can go ten years without dwarves ever moving beyond friends, and five more without a romantic acquaintance turning into a marriage.  I've had dwarves die of old age before pairing off in a fort of eligible individuals before.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 05:49:54 pm »

Is there anyway to sort of speed up the courting process in the raws?
[SPINSTER_ANYDORFWILLDO]?

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 05:52:40 pm »

i think siblings can marry
or at least that would be the dorfy thing to allow for more wtfs

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 05:55:16 pm »

You can probably modify dwarves to be incredibly social, friendly, and agreeable by changing the ranges in the MENT_ATT_RANGE and PERSONALITY tags in the dwarf creature file.  Make all the dwarves have essentially the same personality, and love socializing with each other.

Also, if you remove [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] from the female dwarf caste, they'll give birth to 1-3 children at a time.  You could even use the LITTERSIZE tag if you want larger litters.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 08:22:21 pm »

i think siblings can marry
or at least that would be the dorfy thing to allow for more wtfs

No, it's been established via a 200+ year fort that siblings don't marry. Cousins DO, however.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 03:35:01 am »

Nephews marry their aunts, nieces their uncles. This is quite funny actually, because the relationship will still show the spouse as "aunt/uncle" in one direction, and as "husband/wife" in the other. Makes it a bit difficult to find the married couples (in the case that you are like me and like to give them a common name or number)
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 05:50:50 am »

Nephews marry their aunts, nieces their uncles. This is quite funny actually, because the relationship will still show the spouse as "aunt/uncle" in one direction, and as "husband/wife" in the other. Makes it a bit difficult to find the married couples (in the case that you are like me and like to give them a common name or number)

This fine, I usually dont mind about any of that. As long as my dorfs stay industrious!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 07:06:02 am »

Starting with three might work; the odd dwarf can couple off with one of your children, and then in the next generation they'll be cousins with the rest of your fortress, which might work.
I've never seen a member of the starting 7 (or the first two invasion waves of immigrants) fall in love with one of the grown-up children. And I've given them plenty of time to socialize with each other; I even locked them into a small room for some years once.

You'll need 2 breeding pairs, really.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.