Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 49

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXV 4/7, 3/3 - Evening 2 - A Pillar of Light - GAME OVER  (Read 77186 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXV 7/7, 3/3 - D1 - Traitors in the Midst
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2011, 11:01:17 am »

You vote during RVS (which is why it's called random voting stage, natch), to pressure your target into giving a satisfying answer, or so that they panic and start making mistakes. Pressuring people isn't a scum move, it's how you play the game.

*disappear*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2011, 11:09:43 am »

Because newbie scum usually don't have iron nerves, and will get a feeling like someone just walked over their grave when they're voted.  Votes are not just to lynch.  They're to create pressure.  You ask a question along with a vote, and it's a clear threat.  "Here's the gun in my hand--I'll stop pointing it at you if you do this right."

The more strong, smooth pressure you have on someone, the more likely they are to make mistakes.  You don't want them to blow up and feel like quitting the game--that's bad.  You just want them to be a bit scared, and then they start making one error, and then another, and another.

One of the reasons why this thread is so full of trash is because folks keep asking questions without combing the results or submitting adequate pressure.

I highly recommend that everyone who is confused read at least one game from the Notable Games Archive (not a bastard mod, though--pick a BM or something).  It's a good experience.

@vector: either you just have a very anal personality, or your scum. . .wanting us to vote this early, trying to get us all to put pressure on each other. . . .suspicious, hmmm, vector?

Or perhaps I'm a town IC who knows what happens when people don't vote or attack at the dawn of D1.

And no, I wouldn't call my doing my job particularly suspicious, but you're permitted to believe what you like.

How do you suggest we scumhunt without placing votes or adding pressure?  Please, enlighten me.  I'd love to hear your theory.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2011, 11:48:53 am »

@vector: Well, I guess youve been playing longer than me. . . .I have no idea what questions to ask. . . .
@bdthemag: I have this nagging suspiscion in my mind that you are scum, and I will find out if you are or not. So, bdthemag, if you were scum, would you flame others tactics to make it appear that you want town to do better?
@billybobfred: Same with you, with your almost worthless questions, they are empty and don't have much info to gain from them, so, would you argue with a scumbuddie on tactics to make it appear that you are ignorant to tactics?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2011, 11:56:02 am »

Or perhaps I'm a town IC who knows what happens when people don't vote or attack at the dawn of D1.

And no, I wouldn't call my doing my job particularly suspicious, but you're permitted to believe what you like.

How do you suggest we scumhunt without placing votes or adding pressure?  Please, enlighten me.  I'd love to hear your theory.

@bdthemag: I have this nagging suspiscion in my mind that you are scum, and I will find out if you are or not. So, bdthemag, if you were scum, would you flame others tactics to make it appear that you want town to do better?

Attention everyone:

I would like your commentary on these two quotations in juxtaposition.  This is a good learning and interpretation point for everybody.  Throughout this game, I will attempt to pull out statements like this in order to give everyone else an opportunity to perform the necessary mental work.

So, what does that question of JC6036's actually mean?

At the end, I'll give my own interpretation, of course.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2011, 12:05:47 pm »

Awwww damn. did I just make a n00b mistake?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2011, 12:06:54 pm »

Awwww damn. did I just make a n00b mistake?

That's not the question I asked.

Why did you ask that particular question in the context of this game?  What was the goal?  What were you going to do with the results from BDthemag?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2011, 12:07:23 pm »

I should hope that you at least, the asker, would be able to tell me that.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2011, 12:11:05 pm »

@vector: Well, I guess youve been playing longer than me. . . .I have no idea what questions to ask. . . .
@billybobfred: Same with you, with your almost worthless questions, they are empty and don't have much info to gain from them, so, would you argue with a scumbuddie on tactics to make it appear that you are ignorant to tactics?
Pressure Vote
jc6036, why are you so concerned on how to deal with scum/scumbuddie relationships? Why would you think scum would have reason to argue about tactics?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2011, 12:12:12 pm »

Pressure votes create less pressure when you declare them as such.

Keep going, though, UltraValican.  You're doing a lot better this game, already.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2011, 12:16:46 pm »

@ultra: I am not concerned with how to deal with said relationships. I believe that scum would keep some arbitrary argument goning on to prevent the scum hunt from actually progressing, and with bdthemag argueing with billybob about WIFOM, and with billybob asking pointless questions, it makes them look particularly suspicious.
@vector: The infromation I was hoping to gain was that if he said that he would, then that could almost be incriminating for him. I could have been too direct for my question, and I could have gotten a false result since 90% of everything is crap, but it was worth asking to put on pressure. And this distracting argument back and forth seems to be a scumtactic to me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2011, 12:24:47 pm »

@vector: The infromation I was hoping to gain was that if he said that he would, then that could almost be incriminating for him. I could have been too direct for my question, and I could have gotten a false result since 90% of everything is crap, but it was worth asking to put on pressure. And this distracting argument back and forth seems to be a scumtactic to me.

Which distracting argument back and forth?  What, the part where I ask you questions, you answer them poorly, and I keep pressuring you?  Babe, that's the way the game is played.

So... you were asking him "if you were scum, would you do what the IC just did?"  And then you devalued that action by calling it a flame, "to make it appear that you want town to play better" (italics mine).  Why would you ask the question within this contextual framework, directly after I refuted your argument on my attack?

If you have problems with me, talk to me.  Don't shovel it off onto other people and ask them how they feel about me indirectly.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2011, 12:39:46 pm »

Attention everyone:

I would like your commentary on these two quotations in juxtaposition.
He was awfully quick to change his mind. In this case, he had just been informed by a more experienced player that he was Doing It Wrong™, but it still seems off.

That sounds like a bad idea. Even if it made me look less dangerous, it wouldn't make me look any less suspicious. And let's face it, even shit scum still has a nightkill.

Not entirely sure how your question is related to my questions, but there's your answer.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXV 7/7, 3/3 - Full! Starting within 24 hours
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2011, 12:48:04 pm »

Votecount

Bdthemag: billybobfred, jc6036, Simple
jc6036: Vector, UltraValican
billybobfred: Bdthemag, IronyOwl
UltraValican: Twiggie

Not voting - scriver

The day will end Tuesday, 5:00 PM PST. You need 3 people to Extend and 5 to Shorten.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2011, 12:56:57 pm »

@vector: I believe I need to clarify. I guess I did ask him if he would do what you did, though I did not realize it at the time. The argument about WIFOM is distracting, and distracting hunters from the goal seems to be a scum tactic to me. Does that help clear things up a bit?

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2011, 01:00:26 pm »

@vector: I also thought your "please, enlighten me" post was sort of like an end to the argument, as I did not have good tactics, so I just did what you said and begin applying pressure.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 49