Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 49

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXV 4/7, 3/3 - Evening 2 - A Pillar of Light - GAME OVER  (Read 76946 times)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXV 7/7, 3/3 - D1 - Traitors in the Midst
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 02:14:10 pm »

billybobfred: How do you think first day could affect the rest of the game ?

Not a lot. Chances are, our day 1 lynch will be some townie who said the wrong thing. This, of course, will help nothing.

We'll learn a lot more from the first night, I'd guess.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 02:22:24 pm »

scriver:If you could choose one: would you rahter want a cop or a doctor on your side ? And why ?
The cop, obviously. I have yet to see a zombie movie with a doctor who didn't end up being torn to pieces and hideously devoured.

What would your own answers to those questions be, by the way?
Love, scriver~

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2011, 03:52:47 pm »

I dont think I understand your question. Can you word it a bit better for clarity?

Hypothetically,

You are scum.

There are three people you are considering voting for.

One is voting for you and has posted 13 paragraphs on why you are scum.

Another is voting for a townie, with a reasonable but not brilliant argument.

Who do you vote for, the person voting for you, the person voting for the townie, or the townie?

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 03:59:14 pm »

Hmmm. . .the vote against the guy chainsawing me could instantly be a scum signal, a vote against the guy voting against the townie would cause suspicion towards me and the townie being voted, while a vote for the townie could eliminate one more person thats not scum. . The townie is who I would vote for, I guess. That could also drop suspicion, and make it appear that I am scum hunting, not scum, and therefore turn some votes around.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 04:03:40 pm »

Not a lot. Chances are, our day 1 lynch will be some townie who said the wrong thing. This, of course, will help nothing.

No.  D1 determines the progress of the entire rest of the game, and you cannot read nightkills.  Period.  Don't try, don't think about it, etc.  Your job is to do your damndest to find scum every single day, but especially today, because if you haven't questioned the scum you'll probably never get around to it.

Don't chain kills, don't read into the nightkill, and above all don't do stupid shit.

The cop, obviously. I have yet to see a zombie movie with a doctor who didn't end up being torn to pieces and hideously devoured.

What would your own answers to those questions be, by the way?

Scriver, people didn't listen last game when I told them to vote and ask questions during RVS.

Maybe you want to change your tactics, there.  The more corralling I have to do, the less I can help scumhunt.

I dont think I understand your question. Can you word it a bit better for clarity?

Same thing to you.  You need to participate in an active sense, rather than a passive one.

Simple, who outside of the ICs would you most prefer for your scumteam?  The least?  Why?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 04:22:48 pm »

I would want some body very good with their words, thats for sure. They could help out in sticky situations massivly.  I would not want some body that was a bad liar, as they may be see through as scum and give me away as their scumbuddy if I were scum.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 04:23:48 pm »

I would want some body very good with their words, thats for sure. They could help out in sticky situations massivly.  I would not want some body that was a bad liar, as they may be see through as scum and give me away as their scumbuddy if I were scum.

To whom are you speaking?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 04:28:22 pm »

@vector: you, in order to answer your question about preferable scum buddies. I have a question, is it possible for an IC to be scum?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 04:31:06 pm »

Simple, who outside of the ICs would you most prefer for your scumteam?  The least?  Why?

@vector: you, in order to answer your question about preferable scum buddies. I have a question, is it possible for an IC to be scum?

It's possible for ICs to be scum, yes.

What you should be paying attention to in that post is the request that you vote and question people, not the question I asked of an entirely different player.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 04:38:02 pm »

Don't chain kills
wait what does that mean?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 04:47:57 pm »

@twiggie: you sure did suggest a vote fairly early in the game. Trying to eliminate some more experienced players first, hmmm?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 05:08:12 pm »

Don't chain kills
wait what does that mean?

I'm not saying you've done this, or even thought of doing it, but it's a typical newbie logical flaw that I want to nip in the bud here and now.

Don't start thinking "Okay, we'll lynch this one and if they're scum we'll lynch this guy, and if they're not scum we'll lynch this guy" and so on, and so forth.  Don't start thinking you have to pick one side of every argument.  We have the day game for a reason, and that reason is to give you time to make educated decisions.  Even if you think you know, check more, discover more, keep hunting and hunting.  Don't give in to kneejerk reactions, especially as a beginner.

You need to be extremely meticulous in this game.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 05:14:36 pm »

Right then. Before I get started actually doing things, I feel I should explain what I'm doing and why.

Currently we are in what's known as RVS, meaning the Random Voting Stage. It's the beginning of the game and there's nothing to work with, so what do we do? Pick someone at random and ask them questions in the hopes of getting something to work with, usually with a vote for added pressure. It's a bit flaily, but absolutely vital to transitioning into more productive hunting.

Well, let's get this started then! I'm not sure if i'm doing this right but after reading another game i hope i'm not talking complete nonsense.

scriver:If you could choose one: would you rahter want a cop or a doctor on your side ? And why ?

jc6036: If you were scum would you rather go after a town that is completely reasonless but attacks another town or a person with solid case against you ?
This is the right way to do it. Useful RVS questions are generally hypothetical, but designed to give insight into how someone's thinking.

vote bdthemag, since statistics state he will be scum!
This is the wrong way to do it. Voting someone and then sitting on it doesn't accomplish anything, and usually isn't nearly as worrisome to scum as actual investigation.

This is also the wrong way to do it. Errors in reasoning aside, if you don't ask questions during RVS, you're not helping the game move forward. Sitting there waiting for someone to ask you a question is a bad move, whether or not you're voting someone in the meantime.

Anyway, on to my hunting.

billybobfred, what do you think we'll learn from the NK?

UltraValican, suppose you're scum. Would you rather be a roleblocker or godfather?

Twiggie, what do you think of lordnincompoop?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2011, 05:17:26 pm »

@twiggie: you sure did suggest a vote fairly early in the game. Trying to eliminate some more experienced players first, hmmm?

nah just going off of what he said earlier ^^

Vector: if you were the cop, who would you target this round, so far?

jc: would you not be afraid that someone would call you out as bandwaggoning against an easy target?

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 05:18:23 pm »

lordnincompoop is a scum ic who isnt technically playing, just helping out the scum.

so i think he's scum.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 49