Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do I tame a badger?  (Read 2738 times)

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I tame a badger?
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:20:21 am »

I've built a kennel and have a metric ton of caged badgers, but when I go to tame one in the kennel, all that pops up is an empty list.
Am I doing something wrong?
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
Re: How do I tame a badger?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:33:28 am »

Replace [PET_EXOTIC] tag in badger raw files with [PET].

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:35:21 am »

You need a dungeon master to tame one and dungeon masters only arrive when a baron arrives and the arrival of nobles is buged in the current version. The only way too get them tamed is to edit their raws and replace the [PET_EXOTC] tag with [PET] and add [TRAINABLE] if it's not there.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 10:41:52 am »

You realize you're trying to "tame" one of the most vile, vicious, and violent creatures God has ever conceived of right?

Full steam ahead!
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:45:08 am »

Badgers are exotic?

Bullcrap. You can't throw a stone outside without hitting one of the damn things.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:10:21 am »

You tame badgers by sending out your militia to slaughter every single armok-damned one of them in sight.  Then use their pelts for leather and bones for armor.  They're nice and compliant as clothing.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 12:05:01 pm »

Badgers are exotic pets, meaning they can't be trained until the Dungeon Master gets to your fortress; this, however, is a broken feature, and will not actually let them be tamed, if you ever do get one.

Remove the _EXOTIC part of the [PET_EXOTIC] tag in the badger raw entry. If they don't have it, also add [TRAINABLE].

You're better off not training badgers. They lose a lot of their power and ferocity when they're tamed. It does allow them to be controlled and breed for your fortress, though. You may want to tame a few to breed and throw the rest in a pit. Your call.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:12:47 pm »

don't forget to add [TRANCES] [CANOPENDOORS] [INTELLIGENT] [NOPAIN] [EQUIPS] [LIKES_FIGHTING]
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:17:52 pm »

don't forget to add [TRANCES] [CANOPENDOORS] [INTELLIGENT] [NOPAIN] [EQUIPS] [LIKES_FIGHTING]
This.
How many of these would actually help your trained badgers out?

And I just realized you have a quote from me in your signature. Cool.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 12:24:46 pm »

I think trances and no pain would, equips might need more modding , the rest is just for Fun, as it would also apply to wild badgers.

I guess I forgot to "Officially Sig" that one , curse my lack of forum decorum....
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 12:32:54 pm »

I didn't want to train them, I just wanted to have some semblance of organization in their execution. Because the old method was 'let em all out, have the militia hunt em down, hope nobody (important) dies." I just wanted to slaughter them all and go make hats out of their skin.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 12:39:28 pm »

then you could move the cage to a room floored with grates that are hooked up to a lever...above a pit floored with repeating spikes.

Or there is the classic "sealable room full of badger cages set on a lever release that is used as a reception area for sieges, traders etc"

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 12:43:14 pm »

The easiest way to tame a badger is to stick him in a backfield with Tiki Barber.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 03:56:04 pm »

Badgers. The most bloodthirsty creatures devised. The demons of hell and the champions of goblins alike cannot rival even one of their number. Deadly, with blood-dripping teeth they scour the map. Any unsightly dwarves in view are ripped to shreds, and sometimes they'll raid your fort just because fuck you. You cannot tame this creature, its immense evil is too great to be contained. Not with 10,000 dwarves could you do this. It is folly.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 04:16:52 pm »

What are you guys talking about? Badgers go down easily!

Just send any dwarf to kill it for its delicious meat.

Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]
Pages: [1] 2 3