Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111042 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #1020 on: June 27, 2012, 09:40:51 am »

It touches on exactly what you said none of them do.  RMAH places real value on items.  It's an official value... not contrived based on a black market most people never took part in.  It's now a supported and encouraged part of the game.
Ah, no. First of all, it explains how it's beneficial to Blizzard, not how that had any impact whatsoever on any design decisions Blizzard made. Secondly, that value only comes into play if people are actually willing to pay it- there is no Real Money Trash Vendor.

Furthermore, it's not the value that's set, it's the exchange rate. It dictates that gold is worth in relation to real money, not how much of either anything is worth.
Ok, let's do some quick math and logic here.

If the price of gold is set based on the exchange rate of 100,000 gold per $1 (arbitrary value) and you find an item that sells consistently for 1,000,000 gold in said auction house, does that not mean that that item is worth $10?  Yes, of course it does.  Thus, RMAH places actual real worth in gold and items.  Whether or not YOU IN PARTICULAR are affected by that is not even the argument.  If Gucci wants to place a value of $5000 on a handbag, that's the value, and people will buy it.

Now... how it affect design decisions?  The decision to make something hard to get creates artificial low supply of items in that tier.  So the harder the last level is, the harder it is to get items, driving the RMAH price up increasing Blizzard profits.  If they want some item to sell more, they need to lower the prices so it becomes more attainable.  But not too much, otherwise it will be too easy to get.  If the last level was easy, everyone would have a good chance of getting items in that tier and they wouldn't be as active in the AH.  Also, pushing people to the AH is the "drop rate" on particular stats.  If the game benefits from life stealing items and they notice the price on those items is drastically low they just decrease the drop rates and the price starts to go up.  Now, I've heard/read people talking and most people I know of find it much easier (and we all know people will take the path of least resistance...) to farm gold by selling off junk (Real Money Junk Vendor) and just buy the item they want from the AH.  It's far easier to let someone else farm and list the item and just give them gold.... I mean money (because gold == money now.)

But who cares if the harder level is too hard... don't play it, right?  You ever wonder why the lower levels are so easy?  There's no challenge there and people will not feel their money's worth.  Let's create a HUGE cliff of difficulty so people will be desperate to break that barrier... some of them will pay money because it's not worth their time to grind out gold.

Or are you talking non-item design choices?  Well, that's easy too.  Some skill you have lets you play the game without needing some bad ass loot only found on the hardest levels of Nightmare... nerf it.  People will be enticed to the AH to buy better gear.  That's a hell of a design decision change... they'd never nerf something so much... Force Armor + Diamond Skin?  Hello?  Oh, you say they can just go to a lower level area and farm some gold to get items to fill these needs?  Did you even read any of the links I posted?  They nerfed gold drop rates.  So now that gold is hard to get, how will you afford the new higher repair rates and still have fun with the game?  One person even suggested selling off items on another character and getting rid of it!  Wow.  That's what I want to do just to be able to play a stupid game.

It's beneficial to them to make things rare so they fetch a higher gold value and entice players to pay that price.  It's also beneficial for them to control the cost of items so that it doesn't get too obscene so players will still pony up.  It's also beneficial for them to create artificial scarcity to create those Bentley/MErcedes items that power players will crave.  If they find the item is not selling, they increase the drop rates to lower the price and keep people buying and selling on the market.  Do you really not understand how economies work and how Blizzard could absolutely be using this to their advantage to make money on the RMAH?

RE: Peer Pressure.  You apparently have never been outside.  Peer Pressure can be huge.  You see someone driving around in a new car and it looks totally awesome or has some cool features you like.  You have some urge to own that item  (even if you try to claim you don't.)  It's human nature, deal with it.

RE: Blizzard made auctions.  Prove they don't do it.  A statement is one thing, but Reddit founder recently come out and said they made fake accounts to entice people to use it.  The Bandwagon Effect... you should probably read about that too.  Also, just because YOU don't fall for some trick doesn't mean that applies to everyone.  Blizzard making a gameplay change or secret auctions can most definitely impact how the RMAH is perceived.  I just read the other day that people were making a big deal out of actually making money on the AH... that has a psychological impact on people.  1.  Money can be made.  2.  I can buy things with real money and not be derided like before.  Who's to say Blizzard doesn't buy out items to create the image of demand?  A few hundred bucks here and there will not hurt their bank, but it will definitely make people think people are paying real money for digital items.  You can call it a conspiracy if you like, but it could very well be happening and you'll never know about it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:43:06 am by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: June 27, 2012, 12:11:28 pm »

<this post has been crushed by the above post, all data has been lost>
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: June 27, 2012, 01:20:04 pm »

<this post has been crushed by the above post, all data has been lost>
Well... everyone complains when someone doesn't describe why they think RMAH impacts the design of the game, but apparently nobody wants to read those posts.  There's no way to define it in less than a few words or links without being called a troll.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1023 on: June 27, 2012, 01:23:01 pm »

Well... everyone complains when someone doesn't describe why they think RMAH impacts the design of the game, but apparently nobody wants to read those posts.
You will never change someone's mind by arguing over the internet. You can state your opinion, your reasons, and outline your entire logical argument but they will just go "NOPE" and your efforts are in vain. Just accept that some people are retarded and other people have differing opinions. Arguing on the internet about anything is a meaningless activity which isn't worth the thought and effort you're putting into it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: June 27, 2012, 01:32:24 pm »

Well... everyone complains when someone doesn't describe why they think RMAH impacts the design of the game, but apparently nobody wants to read those posts.
You will never change someone's mind by arguing over the internet. You can state your opinion, your reasons, and outline your entire logical argument but they will just go "NOPE" and your efforts are in vain. Just accept that some people are retarded and other people have differing opinions. Arguing on the internet about anything is a meaningless activity which isn't worth the thought and effort you're putting into it.

Telling people to stop arguing on the internet is the lowest form of arguing on the internet.

And I completely disagree.  I've had a great many meaningful discussions online.  I've seen others learn and most of what I know about the world that's worth knowing, I learned through internet debates with interesting people.

Is arguing with people in real life supposed to be any different?  People build defensive walls around their beliefs when face to face just as much as they do online.  In person, you cannot back up your position with links to informative references.  In person, the other participant cannot stop to re-read and ponder a challenging statement before responding.  In person, participants risk losing face among their real life friends and family.

I think the most misunderstood part about "arguing on the internet" is that people's minds just don't change instantly.  Ideas need time to sink in.  I often find that within the immediate discussion, people's minds will seem to have not changed... but later on, you will find those same people making use of the ideas you introduced them to.  Of course you can't reach through someone's monitor and flip a switch on their brain.  Growing up just doesn't work that way.  That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: June 27, 2012, 01:50:21 pm »

Telling people to stop arguing on the internet is the lowest form of arguing on the internet.

And I completely disagree.  I've had a great many meaningful discussions online.  I've seen others learn and most of what I know about the world that's worth knowing, I learned through internet debates with interesting people.

Is arguing with people in real life supposed to be any different?  People build defensive walls around their beliefs when face to face just as much as they do online.  In person, you cannot back up your position with links to informative references.  In person, the other participant cannot stop to re-read and ponder a challenging statement before responding.  In person, participants risk losing face among their real life friends and family.

I think the most misunderstood part about "arguing on the internet" is that people's minds just don't change instantly.  Ideas need time to sink in.  I often find that within the immediate discussion, people's minds will seem to have not changed... but later on, you will find those same people making use of the ideas you introduced them to.  Of course you can't reach through someone's monitor and flip a switch on their brain.  Growing up just doesn't work that way.  That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
+1

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 27, 2012, 01:58:57 pm »

I see this just as often if not more often IRL. The immediacy of needing a response to save face often causes people to just reject your argument, because they don't have the time, patience or graciousness to actually consider it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1027 on: June 27, 2012, 02:25:00 pm »

Thank you for proving my point. :P

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 27, 2012, 02:28:32 pm »

... What point? He's right, and giving up discussing because you lose isn't really what discussion is about, internet or no.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1029 on: June 27, 2012, 02:35:03 pm »

Anyway...

Back to diablo 3 related crap...

Are there any specific feature requests/suggestions anyone might have for a diablo 3 gear optimizing utility?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1030 on: June 27, 2012, 02:39:31 pm »

... What point? He's right, and giving up discussing because you lose isn't really what discussion is about, internet or no.
My point was that its pointless to argue on the internet. It doesn't really matter though.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 27, 2012, 03:05:35 pm »

I'm just pissed at seeing one of my favorite video game series being turned into a money making scheme.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 27, 2012, 03:16:56 pm »

I'm just pissed at seeing one of my favorite video game series being turned into a money making scheme.

Heh, could be worse.  They could have changed one of your existing games into a money making scheme, like they did to TF2.  ;)

Anyway,  I got lucky last night and had a 1000 DPS + Vitality crossbow drop on me.  Hopefully the auction house buys it for lots.  :)  I need more expensive gear to defeat Zoltan Kulle on Inferno.  :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:19:46 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 27, 2012, 03:25:14 pm »

how much are you selling that for?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 27, 2012, 03:29:47 pm »

how much are you selling that for?

I put it up for 2.5 mil buyout, and starting bidding at 750,000.  I noticed at least one person bid on it before I went to work today, so its already more money that I've made on anything else.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 98