Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111167 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #480 on: May 18, 2012, 02:59:48 pm »

Reeeaaaally glad I didn't let me friend talk me into getting this.

For those of you enjoying the game, that's good. But my friend's description was basically that it was sheer awesomeness, and now that I've actually gotten around to studying it more carefully, it's definitely not the type of game that I'd enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:01:37 pm by Lord Dullard »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 18, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »

Reeeaaaally glad I didn't let me friend talk me into getting this.

For those of you enjoying the game, that's good. But my friend's description was basically that it was sheer awesomeness, and now that I've actually gotten around to studying it more carefully, it's definitely not the type of game that I'd enjoy.

I think you can't do any worse with D3 than you would with Titan Quest, Marvel Ultimate Alliance or any other action RPGs. It's just, if you were looking for D3 to really hit all the high notes....yes, there will be disappointments. At $60, that's a valid reason to say "no thanks." Despite all my bitching though, I think the game is generally worth the price it's asking.

If there were only 1 or 2 things about the game that made it worth playing, I'd say so. But there's plenty good going on about the game, if you can not let the things you don't like trump them in your overall perception.

And the connection issues have gone down significantly since release, although this weekend will be the real test.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:37:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 18, 2012, 03:38:57 pm »

I picked it up to play with my Brother, who is stationed in Turkey at the moment, so the on-line part isn't as big of a deal as it would be otherwise. I do find it to be a bit too simple in many ways, but I'm still enjoying it and I'm going to easily put enough hours into the game to justify the price.

Haven't gotten past Act 1 yet, but I'm certainly not having any difficulties so far.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 18, 2012, 03:44:07 pm »

For those who keep hearing about simplicity or lack of challenge, both build throughout the acts and difficulty levels.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 18, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »

For those who keep hearing about simplicity or lack of challenge, both build throughout the acts and difficulty levels.

I don't know if the game honestly gets more complex. By level 20, you've got all your slots unlocked, and it's just slowly getting access to more runes and passive skills from there on out. I suppose you end up having more options by level 20 than you did at level 10....but I don't feel that's really an increase in complexity. ESPECIALLY when you're often going back to abilities and runes you've already used and just seeing if they're more effective now that you have higher weapon damage. You get gems and slots for gear, your blacksmith has a nice long list of things they can make...but overall I don't feel the increase in complexity.

Difficulty though, yes, it definitely gets tougher by Act 2. Mostly because the challenging enemies with challenging abilities start showing up, instead of masses of zombies and skeletons. Act 2 enemies also get a massive increase in health which leads to a lot difficulty, since you have to deal serious damage to elites and big bads....while 10 other things are trying to kill you.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 18, 2012, 03:53:24 pm »

Some people are acting like they've never played Diablo I or II before... sheesh.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 18, 2012, 03:55:50 pm »

Some people are acting like they've never played Diablo I or II before... sheesh.

Is that directed at people here? Hard to tell when you're being anonymously passive aggressive.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 18, 2012, 03:57:59 pm »

Oddly I keep finding myself wishing for things that were part of Diablo I. Like randomly finding spells in books. Or monsters that are actually a challenge without needing to be Elite or Unique. Or the use of terrain to help in a fight.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 18, 2012, 04:00:13 pm »

Oddly I keep finding myself wishing for things that were part of Diablo I. Like randomly finding spells in books. Or monsters that are actually a challenge without needing to be Elite or Unique. Or the use of terrain to help in a fight.

To be fair, I found myself wishing for that stuff during D2 as well. Although D2 did have non-elite monsters that were a challenge, like packs of lightning spitting demons.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 18, 2012, 04:13:18 pm »

I don't think the complexity lies in unlocking skill sets as much as it lies in pausing to evaluate how to adjust your selected skills to deal with beasties in new areas. If you don't learn to do this the game really does begin to punish you beginning act 3 nightmare and on. You might have already experienced this punishment with certain NPC's like Faud, unless you were using WD or DH.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 18, 2012, 04:19:49 pm »

I don't think the complexity lies in unlocking skill sets as much as it lies in pausing to evaluate how to adjust your selected skills to deal with beasties in new areas. If you don't learn to do this the game really does begin to punish you beginning act 3 nightmare and on. You might have already experienced this punishment with certain NPC's like Faud, unless you were using WD or DH.

I'll just have to make that judgment call when I get there. So far, I don't really see it even if enemies get harder. Most Monk abilities are one form of AoE or another, it's just a matter of what additional effects you want on there....and whether you sacrifice any passives to achieve your needs.

Like Crippling Wave and Way of the Hundred Fists are both AoE, it's just that Crippling Wave is an AoE by default, where WotHF is only an AoE on the 3rd punch.

When you're on to Nightmare, I'm sure that shit will all become more important. Again though, I don't know if that really qualifies as complexity or depth to me, considering you've played the whole game through already and a LARGE percentage of the difficulty increase comes from bog standard sources: higher HPs, higher damage and higher damage mitigation.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:31:11 pm by nenjin »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 18, 2012, 04:32:09 pm »

When you're on to Nightmare, I'm sure that shit will all become more important. Again though, I don't know if that really qualifies as difficulty or depth to me, considering you've played the whole game through already and a LARGE percentage of the difficulty increase comes from bog standard sources: higher HPs, higher damage and higher damage mitigation.

I think you nailed it. The difficulty does come from higher HP, damage and lack of health globes. TBH, I found myself crafting a lot of gear that has regen and relishing the barb skill that gives higher percentage of globe drops.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 18, 2012, 04:34:37 pm »

I do wish that Diablo games had a way to dump you straight into Nightmare mode.  They are, like, the only major series I can think of where you are forced to suffer through easy-mode for hours on end before you can even unlock higher difficulty levels.

I pretty much always hate easy difficulty levels...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 18, 2012, 10:31:25 pm »

I for one, do like easy mode, as it lets me enjoy the story, discover the areas and types of monsters, learn my character and how to use my skills efficiently, etc..

Then once i'm done i'll be able to restart and play with other people without having to worry about missing content because we'll be rushing through things.

Also i find the mindless slaughter fun. And it may be easy, but if you take it too lightly you can still get killed (it hasn't happened to me yet but there were a few close calls).

Oh and i don't get how some people are disappointed. Really if you don't like diablo 3 how could you ever like diablo 2 ? Or is it their first time playing this genre and they didnt know what to expect ?

In my eyes, this is a clear and definite improvement upon the previous game, they seem to have reduced the amount of grind required to progress and the overall experience feels more entertaining to me. I'm in Act2 of normal mode so i clearly havent seen the whole game though.

In fact i'm kind of surprised that the game didnt disappoint me.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 19, 2012, 03:41:00 am »

Normal mode did feel a bit too easy, especially with a stun-heavy team.

I'm going through Nightmare now, and champion fights are a hilarious chaotic mess, because of our group's inability to organize in any sense. We go insane over Treasure Bandits, so we end up pulling every single mob sitting near our corner of the map in our mad chase to kill him. We also went very glass cannon-y in normal, which didn't fly all that well in Nightmare. I started picking up some more utility skills as a Witch Doctor, and it's so satisfying to just pull up a perfect wall to keep the haters out while your group rips through them.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 98